An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:03 am, Thu 18 Sep 2014 | Posts: 515,093 | Last 7 days: 1,068

Dunk Basketball Uniforms  

Advertising spot currently available.
Minimum three month period (1.5+ million page views, 92% Australian).
Email isaac@triplezero.com.au for rates and options.

Important notice: In recent weeks, multiple IP addresses have been handed over to lawyers regarding potentially defamatory posts on Hoops. Please remember that you are responsible for what you post and that if requested by a lawyer to provide identifying information, I will comply.

Isaac
Last year

Rachel Jarry headed to the WNBA

Australian Opals and Bulleen Boomers star Rachel Jarry is heading to the WNBA, with the Minnesota Lynx signing the 21-year-old for the upcoming 2013 season.

Coming off a breakout Olympic campaign that saw her help the Australian Opals the Bronze Medal in London, Jarry has enjoyed another strong WNBL season, catching the eye of the Lynx coaching staff.

Selected at pick 18 of the 2011 WNBA Draft by the Atlanta Dream, Jarry was traded on draft day to the Minnesota Lynx.

Despite her young age, Jarry has established herself as one of the premier players in the WNBL, winning All Star Five honours in 2012.

Report this topic

LC
Last year
19:20 13 Feb 13

Reply #404258

re: Rachel Jarry headed to the WNBA

Well done! Another young Aussie doing well...

Report this post

Camel 31
Last year
19:29 13 Feb 13

Reply #404260

Aw , OK .

(Ch7 news just showed a girl doing a full court shot
that bounced inside the 3point line and went in.
2points counted . )

Report this post

SMA
Last year
20:27 13 Feb 13

Reply #404265

Excellent reward for a solid young player.

Report this post

PlaymakerMo
Last year
20:31 13 Feb 13

Reply #404266

Great work. Very deserving.

Report this post

Damrob
Last year
00:52 14 Feb 13

Reply #404298

That's awesome news! She had a tough run to get there.

Report this post

Triton 95
Last year
08:51 14 Feb 13

Reply #404329

Didin't have the best WNBL saeson but is WNBA quality, Well done.

Report this post

Anonymous
Last year
09:33 14 Feb 13

Reply #404334

Little surprised with this, it certainly hasn't been her best WNBL season this year. Would need to continue to improve her conditioning & outside shot to become a servicable WNBA player. Good luck to her though with this exciting opportunity.

Report this post

Triton 95
Last year
11:19 14 Feb 13

Reply #404350

Anon ^ I think the Lynx want her for her defence and toughness, they were short last year on interior bench players who could play defence. I agree her shot needs work, her last few games have been an improvment on earlier in the season. She could have a huge game this week against Adelaide just to prove to the Aussie public she deserves this WNBA signing.
I think this will improve her game before next years worlds which is another bonus for the Opals.

Report this post

The voice of Reason
Last year
11:23 14 Feb 13

Reply #404352

Will be a good learning experience for her .....hope she gets court time and does not just go over to sit on bench

Report this post

Anonymous
Last year
11:29 14 Feb 13

Reply #404353

^^Triton 95^^ - I would'nt have associated Jarry with being a great defender. She certainly plays a physical brand of basketball that pushes the boundaries at times.

Report this post

The voice of Reason
Last year
12:04 14 Feb 13

Reply #404359

and do we all believe she rates in the current top 10 australian women players

Report this post

Anon
Last year
12:09 14 Feb 13

Reply #404361

Is this the old TVOR or a new TVOR ?

If the old TVOR ... where have you been ????

Report this post

The voice of Reason
Last year
12:29 14 Feb 13

Reply #404364

new on this site was on the old BigV chat

Report this post

Dunkin' Dan
Last year
00:02 15 Feb 13

Reply #404505

"Rachel Jarry is heading to the WNBA" doesn't mean she will make the team btw. If she does I think it will be great for the development of her game, even if she does play only token minutes (which I think is all we can realistically expect, given how strong a team Minnesota is).
I wish her the bets of luck. The more aussies in the WNBA the better, and numbers have been a been down lately.

Report this post

aristotle
Last year
08:03 15 Feb 13

Reply #404519

i presume she has signed to a camp.

i remember when summerton went over to the sun - she was doing well here and a couple of seasons with thibault, hawkes and maddox - had her come back so much tougher, stronger and more moves - i reckon we will see the same from jarry.

Hawkes did a great job getting laura to the next step - jarry will only get better with whalen, moore and augustus around her.

Report this post

Last year
17:40 15 Feb 13

Reply #404663

Tvor think more of what she is capable of

Report this post

The voice of Reason
Last year
19:16 15 Feb 13

Reply #404701

still believe she would be better suited staying home working on her game and becoming the go to player next year at Bullen then going to US
If she goes to US now she will be no more than a role player

Report this post

Reply to this topic

Name Email

Random name suggestion for anonymous posters: Hogwash 83

Title
Rules: You must read the Terms of Use. No spam, no offensive material, no sniping at other clubs, no 'who cares?'-type comments, no naming or bashing under 18 players.
Please proof-read your post before submitting as you will not be able to edit it afterwards.

Aussie Basketball Travellers

Recent Posts