SYD Kings Fan
Years ago

Sydney kings Half court shot for a car

So,instead of haveing the ussual $5,000 half court shot, the kings will have a Half time, half court shot for a new car, at tonights taipans V.s Kings game.
a big step up for the NBL
shows that the kings may be pretty financial stable at the moment, (considering that whole adelaide thing for $5,00)
if the kings were struggling, you wouldent think they would risk giveing away a car, instead of the $5,000
whats everyones thoughts?
i wonder if someone will win it?

Topic #30834 | Report this topic

SYD Kings Fan  
Years ago

*sorry that $5,00 for adelaide was suppose to be $5,000

Reply #404669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you going to the game? Bring as many people along with you as you can. The more you bring, the better chance of winning it !

Reply #404670 | Report this post

SYD Kings Fan  
Years ago

^ahahahaha good idea, but how do they accually pick who gets to take the shot? just a random pick from everyone in the stadium?

Reply #404671 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You have to yell at the players. Then they pick you.

(Other teams have offered cars as prizes before, including the 36ers just the other year IIRC.)

Reply #404676 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

What does the King's financial viability have to do with them giving away a car?

Wouldn't the car be given away by the car manufacturer/dealer as promotion/ advertising for them?

Reply #404677 | Report this post

SYD Kings Fan  
Years ago

^ What? im pretty sure yelling at the players won't get you picked......

Reply #404678 | Report this post

SYD Kings Fan  
Years ago

yeah, maybe not so much finiacally stable, but they oviously have a good deal with sponsors at them moment.

Reply #404679 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

@SYD Kings Fan - Isaac is right. The louder you yell at the players and the more you make a fool of yourself, the more likely they are to pick you.

But the 100% certain way to be picked is if you flash the Mascot.

Reply #404692 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

You need a strategy that involves being on a opposition team flight to Sydney and also yelling at them for the entire flight. :-)

Reply #404727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can buy insurance premiums that cover you if someone hits the shot. Costs a few thousand a year, so not costing the total cost of the car. We got an offer from a company the other day offering us this deal.

Reply #404733 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Does the insurance still cover you if the person misses and you then decide to give them another shot, which they hit and then go running to Today Tonight?

Reply #404736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good one Dunking Dan. The shot didnt miss. It didnt go in either. Old ground, revisited for what reason. I would imagine insurance would cover exactly that scenario. whats your point

Reply #404738 | Report this post

aristotle  
Years ago

what sort of car ?

could be a gogo mobile ?

Reply #404741 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

It might be a new toy yoda.

Reply #404752 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Um I thought the $5000 was from (NBL major sponsor) iinet and has nothing to do with club(s) being financially stable.

As for the car thing, its a step in the right direction for sure.

Townsville @ Perth, the court side announcer got upset with people from the crowd not hitting the rim in weeks, he had a shot tonight (I think mic was still in his hand) and he made it and the crowd went ballistic.
I hope nbl.tv showed that in its entirety

... But who would ever wanna see a court side announcer drive away in a car ?

Reply #404767 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

@BigAds Nah, if you do that the opposition team wins a private jet and you don't get anything.

Reply #404792 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

It's not a once off bad promotion/advertising.

Let's say the car is worth $30,000. The probability of making the shot is say 1% (surely someone could work this out).

Therefore, the risk per shot is $30,000 x 0.01 = $300

If they in fact get the shot, then there's all that publicity and promotion.

BUT, the thing with probability is the P (at least one) = 1 - P (none). If a car was offered every game for a 14 game season and the probability of making the shot was 1%, the probably of AT LEAST ONE car going off would be:
1 - 0.99 x 0.99 x x 0.99 (14 times) = 1 - 0.8687 = 13.1 %

Reply #404800 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

You lost me at the % symbol.

Reply #404805 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

LOL, let's just say your "average punter" hits 1 in 100 shots. Only a freak would get a wedge shot from half way and then follow it up with a swish

Reply #404806 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

You had me at "freak" :)))))

Reply #404817 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

btw, anyone, who is a relative newcomer to the Hoops forum like me, wanting more background to what Dunkin' Dan and Anon738 are talking about, don't bother.

I just lost half an hour of my life reading up about it in the forum archives, when I could have been rewatching 'The Sopranos'. Much ado about nothing.

Reply #404822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No need to have brought up old pointless stuff in this new topic at all.

Reply #404843 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

Did the $5k come out of your pocket Anon738 & 843 ?

Reply #404866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We know where it came from so whats the point in dragging old shit intop a new thread

Reply #404874 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

Would have been dead and buried 14 posts ago if you didn't keep getting defensive about it.

Do you have a hidden agenda in keeping "old shit" dragged up Anon738, 843 & 874?

Your reverse psychology won't fool us!

Reply #404892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No hidden agenda that I have seen. The 1/2 court car shot is an age old thing that has been done many times previously. It's insured and has nothing to do with the Sixers debacle what so ever. Why does that need to be dragged back up again. PLease give us all your opinion, seeing as you seem to know it all.

Reply #404894 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

Oh, I don't care either way, but you keep bringing it up so I figure it MUST be important.

Reply #404895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course you dont care nor have an opinion.Strange that.

Reply #404896 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:25 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754