blowbyblow
Years ago

Question relating to conflict of interest

What do people think, is it a conflict of interest or is it OK for someone in basketball to be both:

1. A NBa Referee
2. A Wnba Head coach

?

Topic #31047 | Report this topic

Clapped Out Hack  
Years ago

Why? Who ever it is basketball needs a hundred more of them in all regions of the country. Pat them on the back not kick them in the butt.

Reply #407976 | Report this post

CR  
Years ago

Absolutely no problem ...

At all levels of basketball there are people that referee but also have other role(s) in the game.

In fact I would argue that more players should learn to referee (especially as juniors) as it will help them understand the officiating side of the game.

Might even help them learn a thing or two of how to improve their own game.

Reply #407980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if it is indeed NBA & WNBA no problem same teams usually don't have same owners or same governing bodies ie front of house personnel.

WBNL & NBL as well different owner often to different clubs Bendigo for example does not have a NBL team should be no conflict of interest.

A juniorlevel where you have coaches coaching their children or coaching on one court then umpiring on another court not ideal but it does happen, not enough coaches not enough referees.

in our own local ABA no you couldn't see a someone coach a women's team then step on court to referee the men's team that becomes IMO a conflict of interest

Just guess like anything there are many variable and just as many opinions and answers.

Reply #407984 | Report this post

blowbyblow  
Years ago

I agree

what about someone coaching ABA for Norwood & playing for South

What about a referee in the ABA coaching in the same comp

What about a junior umpire, umpiring there home club/association

What about an AFL assistant coach for Port Adelaide working part time on the side in a one on one mentoring role with Taylor Walker

Reply #407985 | Report this post

blowbyblow  
Years ago

sorry my response was to 980

Reply #407986 | Report this post

Coeezy  
Years ago

A few NBA referees were ex-players back in the day

Reply #407992 | Report this post

Ash  
Years ago

I know the OP was more referring to the higher levels but if in Domestic basketball people could not complete multiple roles because of Conflict of Interest (eg player, coach and ref) even in the same association/grade then you would lose a lot of people from the game and have an extremely large demand for almost no referees and coaches.

I used to ref in the same association and grade as I played in and it wasn't a problem. If I was told I had to choose playing of reffing then I would choose playing every day of the week. Larger associations/venues could avoid reffing and playing in the same grade but in some instances its simply not avoidable.

Reply #408078 | Report this post

blowbyblow  
Years ago

We might soon see someone win referee of the year + coach of the year at the same Woolacot medal dinner?

Reply #408145 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That would be a great achievement. Might make the papers. Imagine if they were a player-coach too.

Reply #408159 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

I think the only person who can resolve this dilemma is Tim Donaghy

NBA ref & WNBA Head Coach - No
NBA ref & betting on your own games - Yes

Reply #408173 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:58 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754