RRose
Years ago

Boti: 36ers need saving from current owners

Boti has written an article which can be viewed at
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/adelaide-36ers-need-saving-once-again/story-fne5r4t9-1226604111893

Echos the sentiments of quite a few of the posters on this forum who were furious that the owners kept Clarke which proved to be a horrible decision.

The results show that the last four years have easily been the worst for the club.

Whether this is the result of mismanagement is harsh. Results on court are not necessarily the fault of the owners.

What are others thoughts?

Also, it is all well and good to ask for new owners but who would buy the Club in its current state?

Another interesting line in the article is that SOS started with 8 owners and now only 1 is contributing money. Why is this? Just simply a case of the other 7 not wanting to lose anymore money?

If that is the case we are one guy pulling the plug away from actually requiring new ownership like Boti wants.

Topic #31233 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Pessimistic crap, sorry Boti. Lots of decisions gone awry and three terrible years but this is NBL ownership and sometimes you take what you get. Reckon the Hawks would exist if Arun wasn't around? Simply a different coach would've made for a different result this year. Hell, a different import (or even the original) could've had us in the pack given the quirky season.

If what's left of SOS can hold on, a roster similar to this year's with a competent coach could be enough to get things in the right direction.

If Marty were reappointed, then, fair article but I'd be writing it then not now.

Reply #410653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I actually think Boti has a point. Look, the SOS consortium saved the Sixers quite literally, but they have made some horrible blunders in the past 3 years. What frustrated me most (and I'm sure it frustrated many on here) was that the owners essentially didn't want to sack Marty because they didn't have the dough to pay him out and then pay another coach the rest of the season when it was evident that we were having severe problems. Then cutting Massingale one game before his contract is fully guaranteed for an absolute dud, backing Marty's judgment despite being at the bottom of the ladder. These were cheap moves in hope for a short term fix. This team needs to have an ownership who isn't afraid to spend a bit of coin to get this team back to the top, yet I fear that these owners simply don't have the financial funds to support that. The awe about Adelaide and basketball has long gone. We have become the joke team of a small and somewhat struggling league.

Having said that, there are some moves that are simple which will improve the direction the club is headed in, and that starts with appointing someone other than Marty Clarke and Mark Radford as HC and assistant coach of the 36ers.

Isaac, I disagree that the roster in 2013/2014 should be very similar to the current one. You don't come last just because the coach sucks, it's a combination of poor play and poor management. Not saying tear the place down but plenty of work needs to be done on the on-court personnel side of things.

Reply #410657 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boti on Twitter: "@BenFitz Think I might know something you may not. Interesting couple of weeks coming up."

Reply #410659 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Boti is to much of a band wagon jumper for me.

Reply #410660 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

It's become pretty obvious that Boti is spoon-feeding the readers what they generally want to hear.

Complaining that ownership doesn't have the money to put together a powerhouse squad and veteran coach is weak journalism.

If finding cashed up owners were easy the 36ers wouldn't have needed an SOS ownership group in the first place.

Rather than selfishly fuel the fire, Boti should get off ownership's backs and be part of the solution.

Reply #410672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti's right it has been as clear as day that the SOS guys were clueless. But in saying that a better coach this season would've had this team as a title contender.

They're desperate for some veteran leadership but surely SOS won't be stupid enough to go with a rookie coach aagain as Boti implies?

Reply #410690 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think "clueless" is harsh. Obviously it's no walk in the park but aside from the coach, no other decision to date has been especially damaging. And on that, they had an advisory panel and picked a guy many supported, plus put in a championship assistant. Had it worked, I think so many smaller issues would get overlooked.

Not like there are countless big money alternative owners in basketball - how many have dropped away over the years? And not like there are countless sports admins at the right price with loads of experience and looking for a job - they'd work for the AFL or cricket, tennis, etc first.

I'd be interested to know if now, with hindsight, the club would've replaced Marty at some point (and when) or honoured the contract regardless of the results to come?

Reply #410696 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Exactly. Such an easy fix. New coach alone gets you a couple of ladder rungs higher. Use the import slots and you're laughing.

The business side of things things will then follow in basketball-mad adelaide.

The only thing that would worry me is the commitment to starting daniel johnson just because his stats look nice. I dont personally believe he can contribute to a winning team, but he is under contract and you have a proven guy in Peach playing behind him. Bringing in a proper professional coach will temper that somewhat though, or maybe even turn DJ into a winner. Just gotta flush out all that Marty Clarke DNA that's embedded in his game first...

Reply #410698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac,

-Keeping Cortez Groves all season in 09/10 on the way to the spoon.

-Sacking Ninnis only to replace him with a rookie in Marty.

-Churning through imports Winder, De Vries, Howard, Shannon in 10/11, finishing 2nd to bottom.

-Signing undersized Warren in 11/12 and not sacking Marty during the season on the way to the spoon.

-Keeping Marty for 12/13, signing Christopherson (perhaps the worst import in NBL history) and again seeing the year out with Marty despite a stretch of losing 13 games out of 14 which destroyed the season despite a very good roster which resulted in another spoon, the 3rd in 4 seasons under SOS.

Factor in the dud CEO and I'm not sure they could've been more clueless.

Reply #410699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Add not signing a replacement player for Ballinger last season or Creek this season too.

Reply #410702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you've got it completely wrong.

Ninnis failed under the SOS as well. Import selections were flawed. Coaches and front office had control issues. Even within the coaching staff there were problems.

Same issues, different coach.

The constant is the lack of clear direction and experience at the top. Fitzsimmons, Parker/Hill and then Grantham were all unable to deliver a club which ran well on and off court. The current administration is over worked and does not have the skills to complete basic tasks that are required for a National sporting team.

The lack of direction from the top to the Coaches and players is the biggest issue. No coach would be able to get an Adelaide 36ers team to succeed with such chaos, mismanagement, confusion and power struggles that rule the Adelaide 36ers right now.

Clarke has his flaws, all coaches do. But he was awarded the role at the AIS for a reason. He was appointed an Assistant to the Boomers for a reason. He is someone that players seem to want to play for.

Fix the issues in his coaching (rotations, his media skills & the role of his assistant three simple issues to address) and fix the front office by bringing in some experience in sponsorship, marketing, basketball and club administration and IMO there is no reason the 36ers can't be a success in 2013/14.

Reply #410704 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The Sixers - the WNBL AIS in the NBL

Reply #410706 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

No player wants to play for a coach who loses games. Not in under 18s, and certainly not in the NBL.

They just say they do in the media because it's the polite and professional way of going about things and won't put any aspect of their career in jeopardy, and out of respect for Marty who for all I know might be a great guy to be around non-basketball wise. This whole "players want to play for marty / coach out contract clause" nonsense is the single most overblown bit of hyperbole in this ongoing sixers drama.

Reply #410707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mick the players are just as responsible for the losses as the coach.

Reply #410708 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Ninnis was not allowed to replace Groves if I remember correctly whilst Clarke was free to remove imports at will. So I wouldn't say Ninnis failed but didn't have the same freedom as Clarke which ultimately gave him the poor second season.

Reply #410709 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, not saying there isn't a giant list or that they shouldn't be improved - just that a winning team stops a bunch of owners from being called clueless. A lot of that list pertains directly to the coach and player selection.

Other anon: Putting team performance on SOS is a huge stretch IMO. They're linked and there's forever been a disconnect, but plays at either end are decided by the coaches and the players are responsible for following them. When we get smashed inside, that isn't the Silver Fox out there on court.

Reply #410710 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ninnis also had Hill as an assistant who I don't think was quite his pick.

Reply #410712 | Report this post

RRose  
Years ago

The keeping Clarke for the full three years decision is the major stuff up in my opinion.

Some of the others like cutting CJ and replacing him with SC are flow on effects from the blind faith in Clarke.

However, keeping Clarke the full three years has proven to be a crazy decision.

Management gets a 'F' from me for that decision alone.

So many things could have potentially been salvaged if Clarke was replaced instead of CJ.

Reply #410714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Until this season, cheap rosters Isaac?

Their decison making and unwillingness/inability financially to correct their mistakes translates directly to the court.

Is it a coincidence these have been the four worst seasons in 36ers history?

Reply #410715 | Report this post

RRose  
Years ago

Isaac, when it is the same old, same old being delivered by Clarke then it is definitely Silver Fox out there on the Court for mine.

The person that repeatedly gives the keys to the car to a blind driver is responsible for the car wreck.

I stopped getting angry at Clarke and Radford after they got rid of CJ.

By that point their incompetence was proven.

From that point on (at the very latest) Silver Fox and Co were 100 percent responsible for every loss.

That alone gives me no faith in Silver Fox and indeed the 36ers into the future.

Reply #410717 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

"Until this season, cheap rosters Isaac?"

What cheap rosters? All those seasons we have used the fully salary cap if not close to the full salary cap.

My issue with SOS wasn't that they gave 3 years but they didn't put any performance clause in the contract. As a result, I understand that their cash flow probably didn't allow them to get rid of Clarke and pay for a new coach but they could have at least made the correct decisions by not allowing Clarke to get a new import. Clarke had made many decisions on imports where he was wrong on almost every occasion, so this was a chance for SOS to step up and make the correct decision

Reply #410719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"What cheap rosters? All those seasons we have used the fully salary cap if not close to the full salary cap."

I very much doubt that.

Reply #410721 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"Their decison making and unwillingness/inability financially to correct their mistakes translates directly to the court."

Let's bring in the new owners then. I'll think that's a credible idea when someone other than Ken Cole puts their hand up.

Reply #410725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they come forward I would be all for it.

Reply #410744 | Report this post

eli1  
Years ago

None of the decisions have anything to do with any of us. They are all made based on money/returns and investments. So what we are given, we are given

Plain and simple.

There are two options, get rid of current coach and change the whole atmosphere to what the 36ers culture is, or rehire the same shit n giggles and get nothing for your investment.

If they werent going to field a team in 2013/14, i wouldnt be surprised

Reply #410758 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

No performance clause in Clarke's contract proved to be a problem in replacing him, however, Clarke as stubborn and self centred as he has been should have had the decency to walk away with the performance he was delivering. He should have had the respect for a club like this and not stuck around like a bad smell driving the club further and further into the ground. The reaction of the fans should have also driven him away, but for his own selfish purpose he made the club honour his contract at such a huge cost to its reputation, its fan support and its sponsorship support.

Its only last week there was a news story where he was asked about next season. His comment was that the coaching decision is out of his hands but given another chance, he could turn this club around. Is that the comment of someone who is delusional or not? Can't believe he actually has faith in himself to succeed another season or more.

Isaac,

I'd be interested to know if now, with hindsight, the club would've replaced Marty at some point (and when) or honoured the contract regardless of the results to come?
Interesting point but I feel the club knew exactly what they were going to get for the rest of the contract at any point in time and still would not have spent the money to replace him. The reason I say this is because Marty has not really shown anything different in his coaching. His games have been so predictable that he set himself up for failure every time simply by not changing anything that did not work. He never made any adjustments.

Reply #410962 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

How quick we forget!
Would love to have the time to delve into the archives to find all of those who were so concerned of not having an NBL team in Adelaide a few years ago.
SOS were the Messiahs.
I think that we should be very grateful to the 'remaining' people who have kept the club going as others move on (or visit Her Magesty's Motel)
Let's hope Brett makes a big culture chasnge and gets the state supportive asnd attending once again

Reply #410965 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

+1 on culture. The season could have been so different, with so many narrow losses from winning positions. Half the season's games decided by 6 points or less. Sixers win 4/14 of the close games, which is the difference between playoffs and the spoon. Owners, coach or players? All share the blame, but you have to feel some sympathy for SOS - the team showed they were good enough to win & proceeded to lose.

Reply #411020 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:18 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754