Happy Days
Years ago

Tigers looking at Ferguson

Anstey down watching Ferguson last night and he didnt disappoint.Would suggest a few more coaches might come for a look.

Topic #31333 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is Ferguson?

Reply #412483 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I saw Anstey at Etihad watching the doggies play the lions last week. I suggest a few more coaches might come down for a look. He was definitely there to scout Brownie.

Reply #412487 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Jazzmar Ferguson from Bendigo. Won championship with Albury last year.

Reply #412490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jazzmarr is NBL quality, only 23 years old. Him and McFarlin are the best import combo in SEABL. They torched Frankston last night.

Reply #412492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm surprised nobody even looked at him for last season, not even after several teams had guards dropping left, right & centre. Mind you, the NBL has a long history of ignoring great players simply because they're playing in SEABL but they'll sign any hack from the US because a dodgey agent sends them a highlight video.

Reply #412495 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Hes super quick,can shoot the three and get to the rack. Controls the tempo of the game and rarely turns the ball over. I would expect Gordie to be down for a look.

Reply #412497 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

There is a stigma associated with SEABL imports that for some reason hasn't been shaken despite the number of guys over the years who have made the jump from american SEABL player to NBL level. It is a different game though, so you have to take into account whether the skills translate to a higher AND different level, not just a higher level. The game is not just better at NBL level, there are different skillsets required to be succesful, just like the difference between NCAA and NBA. Defensive ability, ballhandling and length in particular are important traits that many lower tier guys just don't have.

None of which explain the reason why the Crocs signed the corpse of Larry Abney instead of Ivan McFarlin last year...

Reply #412501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ferguson's struggles in Canada wouldnt help convince NBL teams.

Reply #412502 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Lack of court time in NBL Canada resulted in Ferguson coming here.Its all about opportunity which he wasnt getting in Canada. I must admit i didnt expect much from him but he certainly has surprised people last year and the start of this season.One thing this guy has is hunger.

Reply #412506 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

McFarlin was very nearly a Hawk season before last. But they went with Catron

Reply #412507 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

26pt, shooting 9-28, 3pt 1-11, 5reb, 4ast, 5to

don't think he really dominated...

Reply #412510 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

I agree MW very overated, he should score plenty with the amount of shots he takes!

Reply #412513 | Report this post

Gus  
Years ago

Dont think so mick, brownie is gleeson cousin and good friend

Reply #412514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McFarlin was looked at by the Crocs last season. They offered mis not much at all. He's extremely solid again this season.
Beating Franga this season isnt a real achievement.

Reply #412517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Believe he was the player they wanted to replace Henry with when he got injured but were rejected by the NBL.

Any player that can take a team from the bottom of the table to a championship even at SEABL level must have some game.

The Jazzman could be in the NBL next season.

Reply #412519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"he should score plenty with the amount of shots he takes!"

Yeah, Jazz has never met a shot he didn't like that's true & his replacement at Albury seems even more trigger happy. At least Jazz got a fair few assists last season so go with the high shot rate.

Reply #412521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ferguson was part of a team that won in the Seabl.
Ntumba is an integral part of their success.
Ferguson has McFarlin now to make him still look good.

Reply #412524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would come much cheaper than Jonny Flynn too. Would be considered if Tigers are also planning to get Gibbo and Worthington.

Out - Flynn, Scott
In - Gibson, Worthington and Ferguson.

Reply #412532 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

'26pt, shooting 9-28, 3pt 1-11, 5reb, 4ast, 5to

don't think he really dominated...'

MW i just read 9 - 15 FG & 5 - 9 3pts

Get your facts right!

Reply #412533 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Sorry your stats from Ballarat game...

Reply #412534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tigers could get Gibson,Worthington, ferguson and McFarlin for what they paid Scott and Flynn and would be a big win ... Ferguson has lots of tricks and good d and McFarlin a monster on boards and plays within his limitations and both imports would be cheap

Reply #412560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Utter rubbish. Gibson and Wothington would be 1/3 of the cap. 2 Imports as well No. Fergusson is a one trick pony.NBL would chew him up.

Reply #412572 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Two cheap imports. Could work.

Reply #412582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly. Worthington and Gibson might take up some of the cap (say $300k combined). Add in 2 cheap imports (say Ferguson and McFarlin $120k combined). That's 4 players for $420k.

Still got 6 spots to fill for $400k left - Ballinger, Burston, Goulding, tomlinson, Greer and Walker.

Reply #412600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look how crap the Bandits are without Ferguson. Yes, Ntumba was a big part of the championship but it was Jazz who made them look good. His replacement can play but he's no Jazz and the team is struggling.

Reply #412610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bandits arent struggling they have lost one game.
The experts predict the Bandits to win it all. The experts here thought adelaide was going to be good to this season as well.

Reply #412619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only the silly SEABL preview and maybe a few fans who post here rated them as finishing top of their pool. I and several others pointed out what's load of rubbish that was and my own view is they will struggle to make the playoffs. You can see the coach lacks confidence in Vann but is clueless what else to do. Jazz is what made that team look good and the coach too.

Reply #412625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea could be a good way to go for the tigers, especially if they get Gibson and Worthington

A team of

Burston/McFarlin
Ballinger/Walker
Worthington/Greer
Goulding/Ferguson
Gibson/Tomilson

Looks strong to me. Looks acheivable by salary cap also, points cap could be an issue by my estimates, if you replaced greer and/or walker with low points players could be done though.

Reply #412628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would worry about playing Ferguson at the 2 in the NBL since he lacks height at this level and he does rely on getting elevation to get his jumper away so taller opposition would make that tough for him. He does have good speed though but so do most others in the NBL.

Reply #412631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He could play pg with Gibson sliding to the sg spot if need be.

Reply #412636 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

More and more teams are running with shorter combo guards at the two these days in the NBL anyway.

Reply #412662 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

If we are talking about cheap imports has anyone else noticed the play of Matt Hanson he has been outstanding carrying Ballarat, at this stage he is my pick for MVP from the games i have seen.

The other guy numbers have been impressive is Griffin up in Canberra, but haven't seen him yet just noticed his massive numbers.

Reply #412672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CJ Massingale is also an option. Showed how important he was to the 36ers last season. When he got sacked Adelaide barely won a game for the rest of the year.

Reply #412713 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Saw another guy putting up big SEABL numbers. Was it Pichon or something like that? What's he like?

Reply #412716 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Not sure how that line up would fit under the points allocation based on their current ratings.

Burston(7)/McFarlin(10)
Ballinger(8)/Walker(5)
Worthington(10)/Greer(6)
Goulding(7)/Ferguson(10)
Gibson(10)/Tomilson(3?)

Plus you would then need to add two development players at 1 point each.

Reply #412729 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Pichon is a hustle guy an is undersized to play the 4 spot in NBL plus he lacks a consistent jumper.

Reply #412731 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:25 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754