Baller#3
Years ago

New NBL is needed!

I know BA have tried to bring the NBL back from the brink of death but I don't think it's working. I think they should phase out the NBL over the next few years and put a team together for a completely redesigned league with a new name. If you say NBL to the general public at the moment they think its a joke.

Plan for the new league to begin in 2015, I think change the games for a shorter season and cram the games in for 2 a week every week. Jan to April regular season or am earlier August to November season so finals doesn't clash with footy!

They need big changes and really I think they need a complete new image. At least if they start a complete new league they will get some media coverage about it.

Topic #31368 | Report this topic

skull  
Years ago

maybe a super league of capital cities with access to 10,000+ seat stadiums.
raise the salary cap to attract better talent(including aussies abroad)
then add some serious Asian city teams??

the current nbl teams with max 5,000 seats have serious cash flow problems......even when they are run well.

Reply #413106 | Report this post

Cats82  
Years ago

Footy has nothing to do with it, perth has sold over 13,000 and freo is playing down the road, just go back and do what they did when the nbl first started. Why perth and nz are the way they are? Call the clubs and ask them to run the nbl. What ever the two clubs are doin its working

Reply #413107 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Baller, existing threads cover exactly this.

Reply #413108 | Report this post

Flynnsane  
Years ago

Cats82,

Both those teams you mention are funded by deep pockets. Do you think Marvin could work his "magic" with a Cairns like budget?

One of those teams has the entire country to pull sponsors from, and the other has the entire richest state.

They've both done a great job, but they have way more resources than the rest of the league combined.

Reply #413110 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

Thats the problem towns like Cairns probably arent big enough for a real Professional league. I would like to see a league of:

North NZ
South NZ
Sydney
Brisbane
Melbourne
Adelaide
Perth
2nd Melbourne/Vic team.
2nd Sydney/NSW team.
10th team from a city with 400k+ population

Run with that, plus 1 million salary cap but over a season 2/3 the length. Could even split the league into conferences:

SOUTH EAST:
North NZ
South NZ
Melbourne
Melbourne/Vic 2
10th team

NORTH WEST:
Brisbane
Adelaide
Sydney
Sydney/NSW 2
Perth

Play conference teams 4 times for a total of 16 games.
Play inter-conference twice for a total of 8 games.

24 game season in 12 weeks. Finals are crossovers of conferences

SOUTH EAST 1st vs NORTH WEST 2nd etc...

pump out the entire season in about 15 weeks! from Mid December to around the end of March!

Avoids footy teams mainly for Melbourne and Adelaide to get crowds.

Each team must have a stadium with the capacity to fill a minimum of 6,000 people.

Reply #413142 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Step 1. Start new league
Step 2. ???
Step 3. Profit

Reply #413146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Baller

I like you idea but starting Mid-December is going to kill crowds for a 3 week period over holidays where families go away for Christmas/New Years. Thus for 3 weeks you have poor attendances and that will be a significant financial loss at the gate in only a 15 week season.

Reply #413155 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

They already looked at a 'new league' idea and figured it wont work. the league we have is the league we will have. If they changed the name of the league.. that would be all the change you can expect.. there not going to find the money out of thin air to raise salary caps and build a 10 thousand seat stadium each... it is just not going to happen. As for the teams, they WILL BE THE SAME... do you think clubs like Perth, Melbourne or Adelaide are going to drop there names and the history associated with them and everything else? Absolutely not...

In a world where the league and the team owners just magically inherited 30 million each this might all be possible. Its not, the league we have is the one that will stay... this thing has to be pushed up by fan attendances and savvy marketing not by miracles

Reply #413166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Darwin would attract support

Reply #413328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol @ The Situation... collect underpants ;-)

Reply #413339 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:06 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754