Isaac
Years ago

Crowd for Game 2 in Perth likely to near 14,000

Shaun Pillar on Twitter:

Game 2 of @nbl GF is officially a sell out. Single seats only remain. Official crowd has to be near 14,000

Topic #31379 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

That's great news

Reply #413351 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

great stuff,hope the wildcats can keep the series alive !

Reply #413355 | Report this post

Cats82  
Years ago

Can't wait to go just to see how the crowd is gona be. A credit to the wildcats win or not they still won alot ove perth over! Go cats!

Reply #413363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cats to win just based on the crowd...

but then they'll lose game 3...

Reply #413369 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

And its live, and its against a Dockers friday night match, which is rare in Perth as the stand alone AFL match.

A fantastic result - though I expected that to be the case anyway.

Reply #413371 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Cats to win based on the NBL needing the extra income from a third game.

Reply #413372 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

What is Perth and NZ (and cairns too) doing that the other clubs arent (apart from winning)

Thats what the NBL white pages report should be focusing on

Reply #413373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ EXACTLY ^

Reply #413374 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Being stable and winning. The Breakers had the same coach, venue availability and everything else and had shoddy crowds before they got successful. Everyone in NZ always said that the local fans are bandwagoners and that only die hards would show up until success was there. And that's played out.

Not everyone can win every season, but without money distributed from a TV deal or a luxury tax, there has to be movement season to season otherwise teams are purely dependent on benefactors.

Reply #413376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't necessarily agree Isaac. Remember when the Kings were champions 3 seasons in a row? They had horrendous crowds averaging around 3,000 per game at the SEC. Winning doesn't solve everything, just saying.

Reply #413378 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

How long did the King's stability last?

Perth have made the finals in 27 consecutive seasons. THAT'S long-term winning and stability.

Had Sydney not collapsed, but rather maintained its dominance, I doubt there wouldn't have been improvement in attendance in time.

Anyway, while winning doesn't solve everything, I don't believe that was entirely the point.

Reply #413380 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Those three teams and Wollongong engage heavily with their communities. When mainstream press wont give you a dream ride that is the only way to do it.

Melboune lifted their game in that area this season and got strong results in terms of membership and crowds . Watch them lift in that area again next year and reap the rewards.

With the league not able to promote itself, the clubs have to get this basic right, and the ball is firmly in Sydney, Adelaide and Townsville's hands to connect with their communities.

Sell lots of memberships and clubs become a lot more viable.

Reply #413381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The three keys to being a successful off court NBL team are:

Heavy community involvement. School visits, kids camps, grass roots work etc

Improved Television broadcast deal: The NBL is WAY behind other sports in this area

Advertising/Marketing: this is virtually non existent in today's NBL

Reply #413382 | Report this post

Pikachu  
Years ago

Loving this new layout lol

Reply #413383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats fantastic to hear!
Even though I still love it, i've been a major critic on modern day NBL and how far it has fallen but thats great to see.
Its also why the NBL needs Perth to win and make this go to three.

Reply #413397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide's admin should spend a chunk of off-season time in Perth, finding out how the Wildcats have been so successful with their community and membership programs.

If the 36ers get that right they can do be a major sporting club in their city again. Success adds the icing on the cake but that connection makes sure the lows are never too low.

Reply #413400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ THIS ^

Reply #413428 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Nick Marvin mentioned this morning at the Grand Final Breakfast that there was only 190 single seats available. Will be very close to 14,000.

Reply #413499 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I wonder if they'll hit Perth Arena's 14,856 seated capacity? I hope so.

I know Perth and NZ are a class above anyone else in the league and they were the only teams to actually win more games than they lost, but the crowd figures for this years GF series don't point to a dying or stagnant NBL.

And you know that if Perth win on Sunday then they'll fill Vector Arena next week for the decider.

Reply #413579 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Official crowd tonight was 13,527

Reply #413598 | Report this post

agrid  
Years ago

The kings were stupid enough to get caught up in that Firepower scam.

Reply #413808 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:46 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754