BALLER#3
Years ago

New International Cup Idea

I was thinking of interesting things to do with the international game and came up with this.
2 types of cups - World Cup and Continental Cup.

Continental cup consists of 1 cup per 4 areas.
Asia, Europe, America, Africa.

World cup is the cup anyone can get.

Eg. Asia might have a tournament to start the cup between NZ, AUS, China, Iran or something. Winner of this tournament starts with the Cup.

After this any team from Asia can challenge the winner for the cup.

So Australia might hold the cup and China want to challenge so they set up a 3 game series or just a single game for the cup. Obviously home court advantage of the series goes to the holder of the cup.

If Australia Win they retain the cup and their streak goes to 2. If they lose China get the cup and they begin at 1.

Basically try to build your streak up and break other peoples streaks with the cup.

Same thing with a World version except everyone in the world can challenge you for the cup.

Imagine Australia holding the ASIA cup for 13 straight challenges over 5 years or something, and then NZ come in and get a 2-1 series win to snatch it off them. I think it could be a new competition which could take off.

Imagine the USA holding the World cup and getting beaten by another team. The whole world would love it. Only for USA to challenge right back and fail once again or something.

Could also make it that the team holding the cup must either play 1 series for the cup or 2 single games per year or they lose the cup. This keeps the international game rolling.

It would be like a world championships that would continue every year.

Say America have the cup and both Australia and Spain wants to challenge them for it. They might say only one of you can play us for it. So this creates a new Sub-series between Australia and Spain to see who gets to challenge the US.

Let me know yours thoughts. I think it would be great, but only if the whole world got around the idea.

Topic #31436 | Report this topic

Pikachu  
Years ago

Ain't nobody got time for that lol
But i get where your heading , there's just not enough international games anymore. Its always same region teams trying to qualify for this and that tournament. NZ & Australia are going through a small boom in talent over in america . Possible nba stars in the making .
But its china that we need to get into , they are now the biggest basketball playing nation.

Reply #414446 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Interesting concept. Absolutely the sport needs people to have a national team they care about and actually playing serious series is important.

Reply #414526 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

What happened to the Continental Cup? (Was that the Stankovich Cup?)

Reply #414533 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Australia currently has the Oceania qualifier series against NZ, the World Championships held every four years and the Olympics held every fours years. Then there's the Olympic qualifier tournament for those countries that aren't seeded, other regional (international) tournaments, international friendlies and practice leading up to these events etc.

It's worth noting that the qualifying tournaments for the Americas and Europe would be much more intense than the AUS-NZ series.

I'm assuming that your cup idea would supersede some of these events, but keep in mind: the players do have jobs. With the risk of injury already weighing into every decision they make, why would they subject themselves to another tournament?

Olympics, World Champs, or 'New International Cup': which ones do we actually care about?

Reply #414564 | Report this post

red87  
Years ago

sounds like good concept...

Reply #414568 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

I think you would most likely take out the world championships in place of this but keep the Olympics. With the holder of each cup and the holder of the world cup automatically in the Olympics and then a qualifying tournament for the remainder.

Eg.
1: World Cup Holder
2: America
3: Europe
4: Asia
5: Africa
6-16: Qualifying tournament

In the event that a continental holder also holds the world cup then an extra place is won at the qualifying tournament.

Could even call this a 3rd cup called the Olympic Cup.

This means that there would be 3 years which would consist mostly of Cup challenges and friendlies.

The Olympic year would have a reduced number of challenges as the teams prepare for the Olympics and play qualifying tournaments. Possibly no challenges allowed during this year?

Could also make it worthwhile to the players that the challenging team has to put up something like a $100,000 "wager" per game. In the event that the challenger loses the winning teams players get $10,000 each. Would get the players interested and get the countries to field stronger teams.

Obviously as the NBA and most other leagues run from October to May. Could make a challenge frame of May-October. Any other time the cup cannot be challenged.

Reply #414581 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

...but why?

What exactly about the current international tournament(s) format doesn't work, which this idea solves?

Reply #414585 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

I agree with Mo.

You've obviously thought a lot about this BALLER, and well done for that, but it serves no real purpose.

Reply #414587 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

It would create more excitement of the international game outside the olympics. Its just a different thing to look at, unique from any other team sport.

Reply #414599 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

They are currently looking to make the world championships more exciting and are going down the Soccer Path, but this separates completely from Soccer. Giving something completely unique and new.

Reply #414601 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

It would make the World Championships more tedious, if not exciting, that's for sure.

I think FIBA's pursuit of 3v3 competitions is more in line with what you're suggesting - not that I think this is more exciting or entertaining than traditional rules. "Unique and new" =/= better.

How do you mean [FIBA] are going down the Soccer Path? From memory the world cup is structured very similarly to that of FIBA's world championships, but obviously on a larger scale.

Soccer also acknowledges the risk of fatigue and injury of playing international tournaments by only allowing <23 year olds to participate in the Olympics + a veteran captain. THIS is something FIBA/Olympics committees have been considering.

Reply #414603 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

To me i think they are rushing 3x3. Its interesting but there is next to no interest in it at the moment. They need something fresh and new, while keeping the current talent playing

Reply #414613 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

They both already exist.

However, as we are in Oceania per FIBA, NZ is our only competition. The Asian Cup for basketball is actually quite competitive.

Living in the region and (occasionally) attending KL Dragons games in the ASEAN BL, the passion for bball is there (even if the support, and quality isn't).

Reply #414650 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:23 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754