Isaac
Years ago

Bevo's agent to 36ers: Adelaide unlikely option

Dean Parker in an email newsletter:

You may have heard that we spoke to Rob Beveridge (Perth Wildcats) and I can confirm that I have in fact spoken with his agent in regards to Rob's future. During those discussions, Rob’s agent indicated that Adelaide would be an unlikey option. Rob has some big decisions to make it regards to his future and is obviously also part of a very successful organisation. The question needed to be asked and was. Rest assured we have a very committed group of people working very hard to work through this process and would love to be able to announce some news soon. Stay tuned ...….
Part of me thinks they're foxing and Bevo is the man.

Topic #31443 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not sure i want him based on the $$$ it would cost the club. To get one of the best coaches away from a winning program in a state where his kids are established you would have to offer a fair bit more coin than what he would get in Perth. If he comes at a decent price sure, but i'm not sure you can over extend to get him.

Reply #414590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope, he won't come here. Maybe still a bit pissed when he missed out when they gave it to Ninnis?

Reply #414592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt Adelaide will get a quality coach like bevo

Reply #414605 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Maher has it!

Reply #414608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahaha isaac you're so gullible. Bevo would never coach Adelaide because they knifed Radford and Clarke. He is just making a smoke screen for when he takes a big $ offer overseas. Hint: he knows kyrie irving

Reply #414610 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

Its nice to have a bit of communication from the club and not just the usual rhetoric but actual truth. If Bevo is signed they can say, hey we pulled it off, if not, well we tried but he didn't want to.

Reply #414631 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

This just in Anon has Bevo filling the Cavs gig, stop the press.

Reply #414634 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I like that I'm called gullible for not necessarily believing the official story.

Reply #414641 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

don't worry Isaac its only an Anon

"Aint nobody got time for that"

Reply #414658 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

This is for the best, Bevo's coaching style is boring. Sixers need to run and gun, and get the crowd loud. I really hope from this point, they go with Maher (for marketing alone this is genuius) and a celebrated assistant. Maybe im still hungover, but Marty Clarke wouldve made an excellent assistant, shame he stunk it up so very badly trying to succeed out of his depth.

Reply #414660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I must admit im thinking the same as Isaac, maybe they are just 'dragging it out' a bit to make it look like they hadnt spoken a few weeks ago when the Wildcats were still playing. Bevo has been rumoured to be leaving Perth for ages, so the club would have been crazy to not open talks a while ago imo, especially when it would have been clear they need to move on from Marty.

The fact they keep saying Perth is still an option is hard to believe for me, why test the waters if you are happy and want to stay? Its not like Perth are a poor club or other clubs could out bid them significantly. I'd say both parties have pretty much decided to move on.

My guess is its 36ers for Bevo if he stays in the NBL, else he will move overseas or coach Boomers.

Reading between the lines it seems to me that Bevo is number 1 choice, Maher number 2, for me the ideal would be to get them both Bevo as head coach, Maher as assistant.

Could be totally wrong, have no inside knowledge, but id be more suprised if Bevo or Maher dont get the job at this point.

I'd be excited to get Bevo, especially if he can bring Lisch with him. Would love Matt Knight too, but just think it would be too hard to fit him in with DJ, Schenscher, Petrie already signed. If Weigh leaves we may be able to fit him in i guess and have all the bigs play 20 mins(ish) a game. Doubt it would happen though. Could take pressure off them all though and enable them to play with less injury problems, so who knows may be attractive, since pretty much all those bigs have had some injury problems.

Say we get Lisch to replace Gibson, play him as a combo guard, start him at pg alongside the 2nd import a bit like Maher did with Farley, play him sg when Cadee comes on, to me Lisch and Maher are similar style of player so should work, and get an import sg/sf to replace Crosswell and/or Weigh if he leaves and we are in pretty good shape imo.

Even if we cant get someone like Lisch i trust Bevo picking an import more than Marty.

Exciting times ahead i think.

Reply #414665 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

Just heard the Triple M sports programme briefly discussing the vacant 36ers coaching position. They spoke about the Sixers being in talks with Rob Beverige, to which KG replied "god, I hope not". The "so-called" sports gurus believe 3-time Championship winning coach Phil Smyth should certainly get the gig. Just goes to show how little and naive these people are when it comes to basketball matters.

Reply #414673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's be realistic here. What are the the chances the Sixers will be here in say 3 seasons time? Or for that matter an NBL. Sixers are just struggling to stay afloat. Crocs too. Where else can he go in australia that would keep him earning a good salary.?

Reply #414675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazzman,

KG wouldn't know shit about basketball and is just spruiking his mate Smyth they hosted an online TV show together a few years ago called 'KG & The General'.

Reply #414690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bevo or Maher may have the job but I can tell you now that Joey Wright will be in Adelaide this week for an interview. Don't think he would be interviewing for an assistant role.

Reply #414797 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The applicants are being interviewed this week. The club has openly said that, and Boti has listed most of them.

Reply #414799 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Would be happy with Bevo, but I think I'd prefer to see Wright here. I never bought into the whole "he bankrupts clubs" stuff; Admin sign the cheques, not the coach. Then again, I may be gullible... it's contagious.

I think Joey would bring the passion we've lacked for a few years and make for some exciting basketball.

Guess we'll all need to wait and see.

Reply #414856 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:04 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754