Mick
Years ago

Ben Allen SEABL Watch

Just checking up on my favourite player's campaign in the SEABL in 2013.

Noticed he is putting up numbers slightly under what he was putting up in his last stint in the SEABL......which was in 2005.

Good to see that a guy who has played out his full college eligibility in D1, then several seasons in the pros, has only ended up slightly worse a SEABL player than he was eight years ago at age 18.

Am I being too hard on the guy?

Topic #31467 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's a free agent and most likely wont even be back at the Crocs next season if they survive.

Let it go, Mick.

Seen this before with soft big men labelled with potential like Axel Dench. At one point the Houston Rockets were interested in Dench but only ended up ever being a role player at NBL level.

Geordie Cullen comes to mind too.

Reply #414939 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I mean, at least Axel Dench was in Star Wars...

Reply #414941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No idea who you are Mick but could I hazard a guess and say even with out putting up any numbers but just being a part of the teams he has he is out performing your good self?

Reply #414942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The games were 8 minutes longer in 2005.

He has been a productive player on a winning team.

exceeded expectations in my view.

Reply #414943 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ben Allen's three games so far:

16 and 8 (21 mins, 7/13 FG)
11 and 4 (31 mins, 5/11 FG)
4 and 10 (27 mins, 2/6 FG)

Pioneers have won four straight. Could be worse. OK FG% and OK stats on a winning team aren't too bad.

Reply #414944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

942, how is that relevant? Have you never passed judgement on anyone who does something that you can't do? Never talked about footy players or whatever?

It really annoys me when people think that unless you can do something at a high level, you are not allowed to comment on it.

Mick is entitled to his opinion, just as you are.

Reply #414947 | Report this post

independent  
Years ago

My opinion is that Allen is in the mold of Stephen Hoare or Paul Rees or others who were great roll players for many years in the Nbl without dominating offensively

I don't think he is every going to be a Bradtke or Rogers type

So the problem is expectation

If he has a good Nbl coach who knows his strengths like rebounding, passing, blocking shots then he is valuable

In Mt G he has plenty of scorers around him

Reply #414948 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

"strengths like rebounding, passing, blocking shots"

three of his weaker points. On an NBL level at least.

Reply #414961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mick, the guy isn't worth a pinch of s***. Not even worth talking about. Let him go mate. I know it's hard, but let him go.

Reply #414962 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

It is actually amusing to hear Mick's Ben Allen rants :)

"My opinion is that Allen is in the mold of Stephen Hoare or Paul Rees"

That is insulting to Hoare and Rees!

Reply #414977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

947 great point I was the original poster you referred too. I just get annoyed that people think they have the right to hang sh** on people particularly publicly. Of course I have commented on people but try not to publicly.

I dont get why Mick would have a shot at his current numbers compared to those 8 years ago, basketball is more than just a numbers game, maybe he is taking defence away from others allowing others to get more open looks or not have the key tall defender on them or changing shots in defence or making opsition think twice about setting a moving pick or making them think twice about driving the lane so shoot an outside shot,maybe that is his role for the team, rather than putting up numbers!

Previous post was expecellent in that it is about what others expect.

It is hardly his fault if others have offered him 4 year scholarships at a D1 or pro contracts,if he isnt up to that standard as you suggest. Maybe your expectations were just too high Mick?

If people are prepared to offer and pay him for things that he cant do shouldnt that critisim be leveled at them rather than him, are you suggesting when offered the contract from Crocs he should of said thanks but no thanks I dont think im up to that standard???

Reply #414981 | Report this post

Carcus Mamby  
Years ago

Lol Ben allens strengths.

Reply #414982 | Report this post

The Standing One  
Years ago

He good man! Very strong! He play good basketball and he help team win!

Reply #414987 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

People see a 7 footer who can move and automatically place an expectation.

Fact is Ben Allen is not a very good basketball player and does not have enough skill or an aggressive enough mindset to be any more than a SEABL role player who starts at the 5 spot. He's nearly the worst 7 foot SEABL rebounder i've seen.

No knock on him personally as i haven't read any quotes from him promising the world and i'm sure he's done his best to become the best player he can be, he just isn't very good and other than a decent mid to long range set shot, he just doesn't have much to offer.

Reply #415102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mick, why was he so dominant in the preseason? Where was he getting his buckets?

Reply #415121 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

He just had a massive useage rate. If you get the guy 20 shots he will score some points and then when his confidence is up he'll start rebounding.

But like is the knock on Daniel Johnson, using him that highly isn't going to get you wins even if he'll go for 16 and 10.

The thing is he is a really bad role player because he can't contribute in a meaningful way without that high useage rate. He can't rebound and play defense unless his offensive game is going first.

He is super slow as well and has really bad core strength, which means that when there is a mismatch and an opposing guard is caught guarding him in the post the guard usually outmuscles him out of position and he can't take advantage.

His looks in preseason when he was "dominating" were mostly just bank shots from the block. But the point was that he was making a few shots, which means that his confidence was up, which means that he starts rebounding and playing defense, which then means that offense feeds off of that in a reciprocal manner.

His career isn't over, there is still potential there, if only because he is 7 foot and can walk, talk and chew gum. He just needs to hit the weight room HARD. If you're that good you can earn a paycheck by just using up your five fouls every game and grabbing a few boards.

Here is a seven footer that has played 3 NBL seasons and hasn't dunked it once. Don't forget that. Not once.

Reply #415264 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

*if you're that big.

Reply #415267 | Report this post

Flip  
Years ago

Michael Kingma was also on Star Wars

Reply #415322 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I agree that independant's comments are an insult, especially to Stephen Hoare. I watched him play a lot over the years, and he was one of the most fundamentally sound, reliable and efficient players I've ever seen.

Reply #415351 | Report this post

independent  
Years ago

I stand by my opinion on the lad.
Stephen Hoare had a long Nbl career and got better & better

Rees also had a long successful career

the point I was trying to make was that despite them being good centers in the Nbl neither of these two were Mark Bradtke or Paul Rogers right?

They were more roll players, and I think that with Ben Allen because he did well in college people think he is going to dominate the Nbl in his first few seasons.

He will get better with time & experience and I believe he can be a good Nbl player for some time especially if he has a coach who can bring the best out of him without expecting him to be a monster starting 5 center.

I am not saying he is as good as Hoare or Rees, that would be unfair especially right now with the experience difference

Reply #415355 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ben Allen's been playing fairly well recently. 14 or more rebounds last three games. Now averaging 14 and 10 for the season, and the team is 8-3 and second in the SEABL. He's only playing 30ish MPG too. Could probably drop the threes from his game and be over 50% from the field.

Reply #417232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben just needs some direction. A coach that understands him and will get best out of him, which it seems R.Hill is doing.
I've spoken to Ben and he is acutely aware of the criticism he receives rightly or wrongly. He is an intelligent, articulate guy. Not lazy at all but maybe still working out the nuances of the game. He works hard and wants to improve. All players 'get it' at different rates. The problem with bball is that once you get a tag, it can be hard to shake it. Smart coaches look beyond that. Ben will play in the NBL again....watch.

Reply #417306 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:13 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754