Anonymous
Years ago

Informative Joey Wright named 36ers coach; three year deal

JOEY Wright today will be named the 11th coach of the Adelaide 36ers, starting a journey of redemption for the once mighty NBL club.

The man who steered Brisbane Bullets to the NBL championship in 2006-07 has accepted a three-year deal to restore the Sixers to their former greatness.

"I think with the roster it is realistic to aim for the championship," Wright said.

"That's the goal.

"The reality of sport is you set out to do one thing and you might come underneath that. So if your goal is just to play finals and you fall short?

"If we can keep Gibbo (Adam Gibson) then we start from a strong position.

"But I've only just got the job and have so far had zero contact with the players."

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/joey-wright-to-be-named-new-coach-of-the-adelaide-36ers/story-fne5r4t9-1226631894199

Topic #31522 | Report this topic

Beantown  
Years ago

Hopefully he is the man to revive the Sixers. I like that they have gone for a coach with successful NBL experience and his existing relationships with Gibbo and Petrie will hopefully ensure both remain at the Sixers long-term.

Interestingly, Wright says that if he retains Gibbo, that'll put the team at 54 pts. Not sure how he came to that figure, but if true it almost certainly would force Weigh to move on, given 10 pts will go on an import.

So who is signed at this pt?

Schenscher
DJ Petrie
Creek
Cadee

Surely that can't be more than 40 pts? Would have thought less even? If it is 40 then add Gibbo and an import and you have 10 pts to round out the roster. Hopefully enough for a cheap import or perhaps Weigh if his pts aren't too high.

That would give us 8 good players, with the remaining slots going to development players like Daly and a young big man

Reply #415878 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Even though Joey Wright might not be everybody's cup of tea, he is definitely the right man for this spot and brings along his winning rep. He won't be ok with getting back to back wooden spoons. Another main benefit is that this will likely entice Gibbo to consider staying and keep a relatively strong core. I wouldn't be surprised if Deleon signed with Adelaide next season now.

Reply #415879 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Hmmm, I'm not sold on Deleon so far. He is a known quantity at least, so the Sixers would be getting an upgrade on the PG play they've endured for a long time, but I hope Joey is able to pull out someone better, who can match Cedric Jackson.

Reply #415880 | Report this post

eli1  
Years ago

This is a great choice given his track record with the now defunct Gold Coast team.
That given, he know the lows in which he played for the Geelong Supercats, so I am quite sure we will see an exciting brand of basketball in some 5 months from now.

Yep, great choice

Reply #415881 | Report this post

Pie Cart  
Years ago

Good choice ,sixers ,now get right players and we will have more wins.
Get an American point guard and a swing man ,weigh out ,we will go to 8 deep.looking forward to next seasons first game.

Reply #415887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definitely a great signing for the 36ERS

Reply #415889 | Report this post

independent  
Years ago

I have no idea why you would want a american point guard with Gibson in the team

It seems to me Gibson is a better point guard, and would be great with a flat out shooter 2 guard alongside him from the States

Reply #415890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How's my maths?

Schesch 9
DJ 9
Petrie 8
Creek 6
Cadee 6
Import 10
=48

+ Gibbo 10
Weigh 7
= 65

Daly 3
Devel. 3
=71

Weigh prob needs to go. Or get Gibbo down to a 9. Which won't happen.

Reply #415891 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Daly to Sydney
Bruce looking for another team and coach, again

Reply #415892 | Report this post

independent  
Years ago

The 36ers must not let Daly go, surely!
Mark my words it will be another SA talent that you will be talking about letting go like you did with the last guard who signed with the Kings

Reply #415893 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

lol @ comparing Daly to Madgen. Spilled my morning coffee

Reply #415895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ingles13 = Troll

Dont feed the troll.

Reply #415896 | Report this post

Dr6  
Years ago

Now for the Assistant Coaching appointment. Is Maher still an option? Would seem to be the start of something big if Maher gets at least 3 years working with Wrighty before stepping into the HC role.

Reply #415897 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Gotta feel for cadee, he just cant escape the Blaze! Not sure about this one, but a blind deaf man couldve done better than Marty Clarke and his reign of basketball terror on this great club. As long as he finds ways to keep the players locked in mentally and for gods sake recruits some legit imports, all should truen positively for the 36ers quick smart!

Reply #415898 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Also why another 3 year deal? Surely an unemployed basketball coach in Australia would be happy with a 2 year + an option 3rd?

Reply #415899 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I'm happy with the appointment and will be making a comeback as a season ticket member after taking last season off.

Reply #415900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I told you Pie Cart! Good signing.

I think Gibbo and DJ make it difficult to build a team around becuase they cant be definatively posted in one spot. I like a well balanced team where you have starters who are obvious 1,2,3,4 and 5 players. The combo guards and forwards/centres should be the bench guys who can come in to rest the starters at different positions.

I think Gibbo is more of a point guard than a shooting guard so if we sign him we need an import shooting guard who can fill it up!

Looking forward to moving up the ladder and hopefully significantly!

Reply #415903 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Ah the Blaze take over of Adelaide is almost complete.

Hopefully the scouts rename the Arena "The Campfire" so that the new name suits better "Adelaide Blazers"

Reply #415909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At least the 36ers are guaranteed Gibson staying and having 1 or 2 gun imports.

Reply #415911 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I thought for sure Wright was going to the Wildcats. Perhaps Bevo will stay there after all?

Reply #415912 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Wildcats can have Clarke and Radford :P

Reply #415913 | Report this post

dougys  
Years ago

Great News!!!!

Reply #415914 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Could not be happier - best move the club has made in YEARS.

Will purchase 4 x season tickets ASAP. Very excited.

Reply #415917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe24 you are right. Why offer another 3 year contract. Has this club learnt nothing out of the last 3 years!! 2 years + an option would have been plenty.

I think the coach is the 'wrong' guy for the job. Wait and see what imports he can get when he has no coin to spend

Reply #415918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look at Ingles13 trying to look like an adult. LOL. Morning coffee... Please. Now I know it's only an iced coffee you bought from the servo on your way to school, but still, you don't want to have too much caffeine and get sent to timeout. Not good for the developing brain.

Reply #415919 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I'm sure teh 6ers have added some out clauses and his contract is performance based.....you'd hope so anyway!

Reply #415922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daly is a poor mans Mitch Norton

Reply #415923 | Report this post

Rabbit 47  
Years ago

Anything is better than Clarke and radford

Reply #415928 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Good to see the 36ers appoint a successful coach, hopefully he can mould this team into a contender. I also think 3 years isn't ideal, why not give him two years and if he is doing a great job extend. All the best Joey, lets hope we have a successful 2013-14 season.

Reply #415929 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

I think the article above as reported the player points if keep Gibbo as 54, which from my calculations in correct.

Petrie 8
Johnson 8
Schenscher 9
Cadee 5
Creek 4
Gibson 10

Total 44

Johnson, Cadee and Creek should keep their previous ratings as they still come under last years contracts.

So 2 imports and if we re-sign Daly and Pero should come in at 70 points

Reply #415930 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

I wonder what happened to all those anons that claimed that Phil Smythe/Brett Maher had the job? Never mind the fact that Smythe didn't even apply...

Hopefully Joey can convince Gibson to stay, and Daly is offered a reasonable deal as well.

Assuming these two are resigned, by my calculations we should only have used 48 player points on Gibson, Johnson, Schenscher, Petrie, Cadee, Creek and Daly given that Cadee(5) and Creek(4) are still under the same contracts and maintain their old player points, no?

That leaves room for a (cheap) import, with plenty of options remaining under the cap. Wright should have enough flexibility to put together a playoff team, IMO.

Reply #415931 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Woops, forgot about DJ's contract (8).

Reply #415932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Playmakermo, Smyth did apply

Reply #415933 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Happy with this signing, will be renewing my season tickets tnext season.
I want to see how long Joey can put up with someone like DJ!!!

Reply #415934 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Anyone know who Joey will go with for assistants? is Maher going to be brought in??

Reply #415936 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There could well be an option year or KPIs so I wouldn't get too concerned about a three-year deal without knowing details.

I am pretty happy with this signing. Whether his rosters have cost or not, he has some runs on the board and that is something. He's had some import missteps, but also some decent and/or entertaining picks which I think probably suggests something more dynamic than a Christopherson. If this increases our chances of keeping Gibson, I think that's a bonus.

I wonder if the talk of an import guard along with Gibson worries Cadee who presumably left because he was stuck behind a string of guards? Regardless, I do think Cadee is best off the bench for now.

Not sure of internal rankings, but the externals are:

ANTHONY PETRIE 8
DANIEL JOHNSON 9 (8 internal?)
JASON CADEE 6 (5 internal?)
LUKE SCHENSCHER 9
MITCHELL CREEK 6 (4 internal?)
---
38 (34 internal?)

Adding an import and Gibson to that makes it 54 internal. Leaves 16 points for three players which would allow for an import, Daly and Vasiljevic or Dowdell and a rookie or something like that. That Creek internal rating is a big help, same with Petrie and Johnson. I think Weigh is the casualty though?

This should fit within 70 points:

Import/Cadee
Gibson/Creek
Import/rookie
Petrie/Dowdell
Johnson/Schenscher

Reply #415938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Toxic Town to Party Town, every player gets a VIP Pass to any Bar in Town as a bonus. Yeah Baby Joey is Back!!!

Reply #415939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey's slip up indicates he already has a commitment from an import.

Reply #415940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not The Points its the $$$

Reply #415942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gibson 140 / Cadee 80
Deleon 120 / Daly 50
Import 80 / Creek 70
Petrie 100 / rookie 40
Johnson 150 / Schenscher 150

Guesses of course and some may be high and some low but it is possible to fit under the cap, just have to be smart with import selections..

Reply #415945 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

I'd pay Deleon more than Gibbo any day. thought Gibbo really had an ordinary season this year.

Reply #415952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Though i wasnt previously the biggest Wright fan, i am happy with this signing, he looks like he was the best candidate and am glad the 36ers signed him for this reason. Also glad they went with experience this time instead of another rookie.

I like the look of Isaacs suggested team, id try and slot Daly into the rookie spot and use Creek at sf though, if it fits in the caps.

Glad Wright talked about keeping Gibson, adding a import PG (?Deleon) and a import sf in the mould of Mee and Thomas, may cost us Weigh but could potentially be an upgrade if we get the imports right. I think these 2 moves are what the team needs, and will/could make it a more exciting/athletic/high scoring team aswell.

Exciting times ahead, cant wait for next season!

Reply #415953 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

btw both Joey and Gibbo is earning that distinction of sending clubs broke...

Reply #415954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

be good to find a spot for Oscar Foreman in the team though

Reply #415955 | Report this post

Bg04  
Years ago

Best news I've heard in 3 years. Just purchased two season tickets and can't wait until the start of next season. Just what the club needed. Don't mind if Joey lets boys have a couple of froffys. It's better than the low fat, diluted, powdered soy milk that Marty was feeding everyone or Radords fatty breast milk. Can't wait to watch a team with some freedom and personality who look like they actually enjoy playing basketball but with the discipline to get the job done. An exciting import wouldn't hurt either!

Congratulations Joey Wright.

Reply #415957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is an excellent signing just wondering if the 36ers will have to make room for Big Joe too? ;)

Reply #415962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder if he's being paid up front.

Reply #415965 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

When will the Assistant Coaches be named and who will they be?

Liam Flynn? Doubt it under Joey, but could be wrong.

Does Brett Maher get offered a gig?

Reply #415973 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Joey was the right choice in my opinion. I think letting go of Weigh could also be the right option and replace him with an import.

The last 3 years have been full of uninspiring, dull & rigid basketball.

Lets hope Joey can bring in some good imports who can add a bit of flair, excitement and arrogance to this team.

Reply #415976 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

The whole league could use a massive injection of flair & excitement. Arrogance it has aplenty.

Reply #415979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's hope that the Sixers are there in 3 seasons time.

Reply #415980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If people thought Clarke whinged to the refs you aint seen nothin until Joey steps on the sideline.

Reply #415981 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

So what is Joey's 3 year plan, and how long will we take to "gel"?

;)

Reply #415983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does Wright signing make it likely Deleon will also come, given he mentions him in the article?

Would be a good fit alongside gibson imo, but dont break the bank for him either.

Import SF to me at worse it needs to be someone who can average atleast 10pts 5 rebounds, it will be very frustrating if they dont when guys like Dorsey, Pace, Ismail Muhammed, all versatile sfs who would give you around that if not more at a likely affordable price. That was the most frustrating thing with last season we signed SC when guys like that where available and unquestionably better. But ill back Joey in his import selections are generally good. Is he still in contact with Ebi Ere? Another guy id love to see with the 36ers, but wouldnt surprise me if he was earning way more $$ than NBL could pay him in Europe.

Reply #415985 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Anon - The 10pts & 5 rebounds isn't that Weigh-ish numbers? Why not just keep Weigh? Can help spread the floor etc.

Reply #415987 | Report this post

Pikachu  
Years ago

Zac Atkinson looks good. He's an import playing n the nzbl
Length and protects the rim

Reply #415989 | Report this post

Pie Cart  
Years ago

You right anonymous should listen more.

Reply #415994 | Report this post

Dr6  
Years ago

Ha DB5

I think "3 year plan" has been stricken from the vocabulary.

Reply #415997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea, if we can get Weigh for the same price as the import would be happy to just keep him.

For example if Weigh wants 100k+ and you can get an import of similar level ie one of the names i have listed or someone better for 50-80k, id go for the import.

Other consideration is do you want things like extra speed/athleticism, ball handling, perimeter defense out of the spot than what Weigh can give, which say an import may be able to for similar price or less.

The x factor with going for the import is that you more or less know what Weigh can give, say Joey finds a fresh face or gives someone like Pace a go, and saves some cash/cap space aswell, there is also the chance that the import will end up being better than expected, its happened many times a cheapish import turns out to be a star. Not guaranteed but you may get it by going the import path and than can make a massive difference to the team.

I actually like Weigh and wouldnt mind keeping him, but wont be too upset if he is replaced by an import, and can see some possible upsides in doing it aswell.

Reply #415998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would like to see Devendorf sign if Gibbo is Point

Reply #416001 | Report this post

36reasons.net  
Years ago

You're right "BigSexy", with Gibson the team will be on 44 points (confirmed with league office). He's contested points but I doubt he'd get dropped back to 9 (taking the Sixers to 43). 44 points means they can get 2 imports and retain Daly and Pero. Fits point wise, might be hard to manage $ wise.

Full story here

http://www.36reasons.net/2013/04/wright-on-time.html

Reply #416003 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Daly to Sydney is the word. Hope that's not done and we can still keep him. Good return for three points unless there is a college prospect likely to be better.

Reply #416039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damm, not another good SA player going to the Kings, damm we gotta do better at snapping these guys up.

I guess we do have Cadee who is likely to be just as good if not better, but wanted to keep Daly.

Wonder what Joeys thoughts on Daly are, if he is on his 'want to keep' list or not?

Joey did well bringing in good young talent such as Goulding, Gibson, in Brisbane so hope he can also do that here.

Reply #416040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weigh would be a good fit for townsville if they come back

Or the gong to replace sav

Reply #416042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was just on the radio and said something along the lines of they have retained an important piece from last year and it should be announced soon.
Well, something like that?

Gibson, most would asume? Unless we have retain vital piece Pero, of course.

Reply #416071 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Christopherson

Reply #416072 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Shane Edwards would be a great pick at the 3 spot, I highly rate this guy and can play inside and out very well. His price would be very attractive considering our current squad.

Reply #416078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Edwards can't shoot the three well enough though

Reply #416082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good hire, but I still worry about the three year deal, they are playing with fire there.

Reply #416084 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Going to Sydney would be best for Daly.

I can't imagine him getting many minutes under Wright, given his strong relationship with Cadee (which is unfortunate because in the games I watched last season, in the short game time Daly did get, I didn't see any drop off in talent between him and Cadee).

Reply #416087 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Could only be Gibson or Weigh?

Reply #416100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok saw on Botys twitter, Joeys math was correct his 54 was including Gibson and a import, so had 16 points to fill 3 spots.

To me no problem grab a 2nd import and 2 young Aussies, either two 3 point players or a 1 or 2 and a 4 or 5, nothing to worry about points wise imo. Any good college returnees in NBL budget?

Reply #416106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Am i right in thinking the 36ers are aiming for

PG Deleon/Cadee

SG Gibson/?? Erik Burdon should be worse case, could easily fill a Ng type role imo, playing well in SEABL

SF Darnell Mee 2.0/Creek
PF Petrie/?? worse case Warbout, obviously someone like Dowdell would be better if points/salary caps allow

C Schenscher/Johnson

If thats not a playoff team or bloody close then i give up, now we have a good coach we should be back were we belong.

To me worse case give the last 2 spots to Erik Burdon and Jan Warbout, neither likely to get huge minutes and both fit the role we need and would be surely below 3 each.

Import worse case should literally be Ron Dorsey, if we get anyone worse than him ill be so frustrated, not saying we should get him, but he should be the minimum we expect, if Joey can find someone better than AWESOME!!

I think the points cap concern is if he is trying to fit Weigh in with 2 imports, that would be basically impossible, so for me unfortunatly pushes Weigh out, but i think most people expected to keep only one of Weigh and Gibson and im assuming we will keep Gibson now, so probably the best case scenario. Plus surely if Wollongong are chasing Weigh they would be able to out bid us and we are better of going for a import than spending top dollar on Weigh, but would love if we could some how keep him, but the points cap looks to make it impossible unless we go with 1 import.

Reply #416110 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I don't have a problem with a 3 year contract when it comes to someone who has a good history of success. Wright is a very experienced NBL coach and you would have to say a safe option for a 3 year contract, unlike Clarke who had never coached at a professional level. He won't send the club broke if he turns this club around and results in more fans coming to the games. Sponsorship will also increase with success. If you want to get the best coach available, you are competing with other clubs. If your offer is less than 3 years, then other clubs might have an advantage over you. People travel for good coaching positions and re locate their families. They wouldn't want to disrupt their family for less than 3 years.

Reply #416116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure if I just missed it but did Seven news tonight not even mention this news at all?

Reply #416129 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Seven did mention it, very very briefly.

Reading this mornings Advertiser looks like Gibson is very happy and looking to stay at the 36ers unless there's a ridiculous European offer available. Sounds like he's keen to stay for this season!

Reply #416136 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

A good decision.

In these times a safe, stabilising decision is needed, not a high risk decision that could pay off. A coach with proven success at the level is a safe decision, but the correct decision.

Reply #416137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In my view we need a back up person who can play the 4/5 spots in case of injury. Luke does not seem to be able to keep himself on the court all the time and Petrie is managing a bad back.

I would not risk a development player like Jan Warbout to fill in if we have injury issues here. I just don't think he is up to it right now - even Ben Allen is performing better at the moment down South. I would stick with Pero - minimal points and cash - as an insurance option to two of our bigs who do have injury issues from time to time.

Reply #416169 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:17 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754