Kr
Years ago

Shawn Dennis to the crocs?

On the radio this morning, crocs expected to announce Shawn Dennis as new crocs coach. Nice one, if true!

Topic #31532 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's what I said last night, isn't it?

Reply #416158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do they even have a team for 13/14?

Reply #416159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is great news. Glad to see they've decided to go with someone who has years of experience in the league, as both a player and coach.

I think Dennis will fit in well with the new community based model - I'm looking forward to a good season ahead!!

GO CROCS!!

Reply #416173 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Good to see it is someone with absolutely no prior connection to this team. Need a clean break under someone who has no attachment to any of the players.

Any chance that he brings a Perth player or two over?

Reidy has said he will be re-signing all the guys whose contracts were voided, so so far it's:

Norton
PC
Blanchfield
Holmes
Hinder

I doubt Nevill or Ervin will be back, and none of the other guys whose contracts expired after last year really fit in.

All emotions aside, I would have probably let Hinder and Holmes walk.

Hinder is cooked.

Holmes remains a great rebounder but is an average defender at best and a net negative to the team's overall performance because of his selfish play on offense. It would have also given the new coach more of a clean slate to impart his vision on this ball club.

I would have kept Norton and Blanchfield only, and offered PC less money and a bench role and left the decision up to him.

We need to give the new coach a clean slate now that Ian Smythe and Colbran aren't there to overrule all the coaching staff's roster decisions.

Reply #416183 | Report this post

ziah  
Years ago

If Reidy said he would re-sign the five contracted, why speculate on it?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Mick Cedar remain as well. He is certainly still active around the club, and fills the spot behind Crawford. Regardless of who is coach, we now need to be even more aware of the financial constraints attached to the roster. If the five contracted stay, maybe we can expect something like this:

Import/Norton
Crawford/Cedar
Blanchfield/(Henry/Hire)
Holmes/Hinder
Import/??

You could always bench Holmes and Hinder and have an import PF, and starting C.

Reply #416188 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The only problem with that is that no one is going to turn up if we start 0-10 again, and then you're back at square one with the financial problems. You don't have to spend big to be competitive, you just need to have guys who want to play hard. And there are certain guys on this team that don't want to play hard.

I'd rather see Dennis (if he indeed is the coach) impart his vision on the future of the club and clean house.

Reply #416194 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

AHHHHHHH, for the love of mary, Cats, sort out the coaching situation.

Reply #416195 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

i'm hearing Neville to Cairns.....

Reply #416197 | Report this post

ziah  
Years ago

@Mick, of course no one wants to see the team start 0-10. Bear in mind though, in a league that didn't change a great deal in make-up over two seasons, the Crocs were very competitive in one (taking Breakers to 3 in semis) and duds the next. Even as duds, they recovered to finish the season 10-8 after the initial streak. That was enough to make finals. And during this time, only imports changed on the roster!

My point is, I think that having most of the team from last year we CAN be competitive with a new coach. And this also suits the aforementioned financial and time constraints of raising a brand new community owned team.

Reply #416198 | Report this post

ziah  
Years ago

* Should have said that a 10-8 record would have been good enough for finals had a similar trend been evident in the first 10 games (sorry for any confusion)

Reply #416199 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Point taken.

But if we are going to put a cheaper team on the floor I'd rather they be cheap and young than cheap and old.

Fans can accept not being competitive if there is a bright future and sustainable rebuild happening.

Reply #416204 | Report this post

ziah  
Years ago

Absolutely. What about that team was that old though?

Norton - 20
Blanchfield - 22
M. Cedar - 27
Crawford - 33
Hinder - 33
Holmes - 30
Henry - 27
Hire - 26
Teys (as an alternative to Cedar) - 22

Average age of 26. That's not old if you ask me. Go much younger, you run the risk of performance problems through lack of experience/veterans to balance the team. I think it's a great balance of up-and-comers and experience.

Reply #416209 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Cedar is better than Teys. I wouldn't be swapping them.

At the very least we have two great young players in Blanchfield and Norton to build around for the future.

Reply #416212 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Surely they would want to announce that they are going to be in the competition before they announce a coach (surely whoever the coach maybe would want them to announce that first too)

Reply #416232 | Report this post

WAboy  
Years ago

Its funny how it came up in my Facebook feed this morning that Shawn Dennis liked the "Save the Crocs" page.

Reply #416234 | Report this post

ziah  
Years ago

I know they are hoping to have some things within the club finalised by the end of the week, maybe multiple announcements?

Reply #416236 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah Dennis hasn't been announced or confirmed by any sources. It's just a rumour at this stage.

Reply #416242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

my Crocs budget team would be

A Bruce / norton / C cedar
Blanchfeild / crawford / Hire/ Ballinger
Edwards*/ Hudson*/ Trueman /

Reply #416254 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Not such a bad team. Would be scrappy and play hard, even if points were hard to come by.

I think the Crocs learnt the hard way last year about running with three PGs in your ten though and won't repeat that mistake...

Reply #416264 | Report this post

moo moo  
Years ago

skull, that would be awsome news if true..neville to cairns..

Reply #416268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They'll prob get imports just cheaper ones than last year. Bring HOMICIDE back! Would spark interest in the team which means $$$!

Reply #416270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will there be a season at all? Deadline this month.

Reply #416277 | Report this post

Vladimir Putin  
Years ago

Mick, Colbran was part of a board, they all voted in the decision making process. He had only 1 vote. So I don't know how you come to believe he over-ruled the decision making process ???

Reply #416284 | Report this post

kr  
Years ago

I don't mind the aaron Bruce idea starting at the one, rather than gambling on a cheap import point guard. Especially with Norton chomping at the bit to play a bigger role. Lets try....

A Bruce/ Norton
PC / Michael Cedar
Blanchfield/ Dan Dillon
Holmes / Mitch Young
Import 4/5 / Hinder

Obviously the Crocs have limited funds so only went with the one import. Crocs lacked size, versatility, rebounding and explosive scorers last year. Athletic import and Young to ad versatility and rebounding. Dillon and Bruce extra ball handlers and explosiveness.

Would be a real run and gun team imo on somewhat of a budget.

Reply #416303 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

If Neville comes 2 Cairns he can't sook!!

Reply #416306 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Putin: it was an open secret that what George said goes. He was told many times by the board that the business model was unsustainable but he overruled any changes to ticket pricing, sponsorship packages, etc. (obviously he poured tonnes of his own cash into the team so you could say he had a right to, but the fact remains)

Similarly, Smythe was known to resign players behind the coach's back. Players who the coach didn't want back. Anyway, that's the past.

The future is looking brighter.

John Rillie and Mike Kelly are in the mix for the head coach job too, according to this morning's paper. John Rillie would be a great fit for a team on the rebuild. He's a class act and a great teacher of the game.

Reply #416325 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Mike Kelly as asst!!

Reply #416333 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:44 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754