#45 hoops
Years ago

NBL dunk comp- should it be a bigger deal?

So the NBL all star game last year was great, very fun to watch.
But i feel like there should have been a bigger focus on the dunk comp.
It wasn't on t.v, and not even on nbl.tv ( i dont think?)
Only highlights before the all star game.
Should they try to get a deal with ten to put the dunk comp on tv this year?
This would mean they could make a bigger deal out of it too.
Thoughts??

Topic #31631 | Report this topic

Proud  
Years ago

Absolutely, we have 7/8 teams in this league so 2 players from each team seems like an idea to consider with the later rounds having more dunks per round.

Also I would like to have TEN show highlights of the great dunkers in the history of the league in the build up to the comp... I'm looking forward to it already

Reply #418106 | Report this post

Pikachu  
Years ago

Bennie Lewis won it

Reply #418109 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

^Pikachu answering nobody's question

Reply #418126 | Report this post

Rashad  
Years ago

good ol pikachu

Reply #418148 | Report this post

traread  
Years ago

Yeah I agree, they should... A lot more people are interested in Dunk Comps, 3pt Shoot-outs & other gimmicks than the actual game!

Reply #418176 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I don't know about that. The NBA dunk contest doesn't exactly promote excitement any more. 3 point contest and skills challenges do though.

Reply #418178 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Old highlights of dunks would be great.

Lanard Copeland and Leon Trimmingham had some awesome ones during the 90s.

Reply #418179 | Report this post

Cats82  
Years ago

Name one person that the cats can enter a dunk comp?

Reply #418199 | Report this post

#45 hoops  
Years ago

4 players i think should be in the 2013 dunk comp ( so far)

Lance hurdle ( he needs to win this one)
Cedric jackson
Seth scott??
Aj ogilvy??

Reply #418205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Name one person that the cats can enter a dunk comp?"

You mean, apart from the Wildcat who's already won it?

Reply #418210 | Report this post

Raichu  
Years ago

Bartlett he won it a few years back!

Reply #418223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bartlett's Knees are shot!

Ogilvy^ oh my god the dude is as mobile as a paper weight! Some people on this site are totally retarded!

Reply #418236 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

In the NBA it's getting harder and harder to come up with a new dunk. It can be the hardest dunk possible, but if we've seen it before then we're not satisfied.

Drop down to the NBL and the best we're likely to see is what NBA players would find boring and ordinary, and so we would too. We're so spoilt with the amount of NBA available that we can't be excited by NBL-level stuff, even if it's an amazing dunk for an NBL player.

Even though I don't see enough dunks in the NBL any more, when I see them I don't get excited either.

I'd rather keep the All-Star 3-point shootout and drop the dunk contest.

Reply #418239 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

@Cats82 - there would be quite a few. Remember this is a showcase not a game situation. Most of the 'Cats can pull off nice dunks in the warm ups.

Reply #418241 | Report this post

Raichu  
Years ago

Odigie can jam

Reply #418245 | Report this post

#45 hoops  
Years ago

about the ogilvy comment. I just figuered he could do something intersting being 6'11 and skinny.
And im not retarded.

Reply #418250 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Ogilvy CAN dunk doesn't mean he should be in the dunk comp. Much like Darnell Lazare. And Seth Scott won't be back in Melbourne.. Doubtful will be back in the league next season.

Why don't we wait until all imports are signed before we talk about who should be in it this year?

Who saw ANY footage of the 3pt shootout? I didn't.

Reply #418259 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

A Wildcat in the dunk comp? Nick Natanui!

On subject though, dunk competitions, NBL or NBA, bore me to death. Much rather watch dunk compilations from actual games.

Reply #418266 | Report this post

#45 hoops  
Years ago

good point with the dunk highlights. JUST the type of reason NBL need to update their youtube channel to game highlights

Reply #418306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love the dunk comp...nothing like wasting time watching half assed dunks with glory hungry " sideline fans" holding 10 score cards up when we all know most dunks are crap !!! high five !!

Reply #418335 | Report this post

Raichu  
Years ago

Te Rangi can get up

Reply #418336 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I think Gavin Field had a nice leap on him from the Wildcats in warm ups but his 180s just weren't going in enough, give him the off season of improvement that DP need and he could be our second or maybe Damien Martin, I personally haven't seen all his tricks and the bloke can do everything so why not impress in a dunk contest.

As for the NBA, I'm tired of watching it, an opposition player is too good so you give him 20 shots from the free throw line a game (snorefest), they been too close to MLB and letting a batter walk.

Would love to see more Isaac Burton footage

Reply #418345 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:57 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754