Anonymous
Years ago

Next Gen headline Boomers squad

The Australian Boomers have named a 17-player squad for the first training camp under new Head Coach Andrej Lemanis ahead of the 2013 Sino-Australia Challenge.

Lemanis has put together a squad sporting some of the brightest young stars in Australian basketball coupled with the NBL's elite for the five-day camp at the Western Australian Basketball Centre in Perth.

Additional players are expected to be added to the squad in the build-up to the training camp.

Australian Boomers Squad - 2013 Sino-Australia Challenge

Name / Height / Position / DOB / Club
Adam Gibson / 188cm / Guard / 30 Oct 1986 / Adelaide 36ers (NBL)
Jason Cadee / 186cm / Guard / 15 Apr 1991 / Adelaide 36ers (NBL)
Mitch Norton / 180cm / Guard / 1 Apr 1993 / Townsville Crocodlies (NBL)
Ben Madgen / 193cm / Guard / 7 Feb 1985 / Sydney Kings (NBL)
Chris Goulding / 192cm / Guard / 24 Oct 1988 / Melbourne Tigers (NBL)
Brendan Teys / 188cm / Guard / 22 Feb 1990 / Southern District Spartans (QBL)
Clint Steindl / 201cm / Guard-Forward / 15 Mar 1989 / Cairns Taipans (NBL)
Owen Odigie / 196cm / Guard-Forward / 18 Jan 1993 / Melbourne Tigers (NBL)
Jesse Wagstaff / 203cm / Forward / 30 Apr 1986 / Perth Wildcats (NBL)
Anthony Petrie / 203cm/ Forward / 3 June 1983 / Adelaide 36ers (NBL)
Daniel Johnson / 212cm / Forward-Centre / 2 Apr 1988 / Adelaide 36ers (NBL)
Cody Ellis / 203cm / Forward / 24 Apr 1990 / Saint Louis University (USA)
Venky Jois / 201cm / Forward / 7 Jul 1993 / Eastern Washington University (USA)
Luke Nevill / 218cm / Centre / 19 Feb 1986 / Townsville Crocodiles (NBL)
Cameron Bairstow / 206cm / Forward / 7 Dec 1990 / University of New Mexico (USA)
Andrija Dumovic / 208cm / Forward-Centre / 18 Apr 1993 / BA National Centre of Excellence
Mitchell Young / 206cm / Forward / 6 Aug 1990 / Saint Mary’s College (USA)

Surprisingly weak team

Topic #31645 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where is Anthony Drmic?

Reply #418381 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Brendon Teys?? Really?

Why no Gliddon if you are picking younger NBL guys.

Reply #418382 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The only surprise is how many Sixers are in that squad.

It prompts the rhetorical question: "How the F did a team with 4 Boomers Squad members finish bottom?"

(No need to answer)

Reply #418384 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Is Teys at Uni and they are considering him for the Uni Games?

Reply #418385 | Report this post

Hawks fan  
Years ago

It's nice that wooden spooner guys get some additional training before the next season, they need it. Will they play the wooden spooner players from other countries.

Reply #418386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is Motum, Drmic and Broekhoff not there? Will they join the squad?

Reply #418387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

terrible squad really...

Reply #418391 | Report this post

psycho  
Years ago

I agree with fstos how does gliddon miss out, gets might make an NBL team but that's it. Gliddon, Hire, drmic, in my opinion should have made the squad. On a positive good to see venky jois and bairstow added. Will look alot better when our stars come back

Reply #418392 | Report this post

Slopernator  
Years ago

Gliddon unavailable due to "offseason strength and conditioning program"

Reply #418393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With everyone available I would like to see this team:

Dellavedova
Mills
Andersen
Baynes
Ingles

PG?
Newley
Ogilvy?
Motum?
Broekhoff

Drmic?
Madgen

Reply #418394 | Report this post

psycho  
Years ago

Forgot about blanchfield also what is happening with Anatoly Bose is he still on the radar?

Reply #418399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greenwood ?

Reply #418400 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

It is surprising, most of those guys wouldnt be in the top 30 Australian players right now and outside of 2 or 3, none of them could even accidently slip into a Boomers spot any time in the forseeable future, injuries or.

Reply #418404 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Settle down guys, a lot of players are unavailable because of other commitments

Reply #418405 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Will the injured Damien Martin be around the squad at all as he is a positive influence.

Strange to see Teys there when Crawford and Cedars were played ahead of him last year. Hopefully Teys can find some playing time in the new season.

Reply #418406 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

F team this is more like a W team

Reply #418409 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

To be fair i think the squads mainly for future hopefuls and with a lot of guys being busy for different reasons, alot of these guys are really the super-outside chances. Lemanis iosnt a stupid guy, and if all the top players were availible I am sure they would be there.

Reply #418412 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Must admit, when I saw Australias C team lose to china and Qatar (or whoever it was) that I was somewhat ashamed. C Team or not. A lot of those guys on that team looked pretty hapless.

Reply #418413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it is great a new coach is in and trying out players that could fit in. not just listening to political interests with there own agenda.

Reply #418414 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Are Delly, Motum and Broekhoff not included because of NBA summer league try outs conflict with the time of this series?

Reply #418415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is players for World University Games and Boomers v China isnt it?

Reply #418416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is players for Boomers v China and World Uni Games. You will find a few more players will get named in the squad for the Boomers v China series though

Reply #418421 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

This happens every year. Top players will only be here for one camp or only for the games vs NZ. Marketing purposes mean they have to be called Boomers when they play China.

Remember Goorjian's first Boomers' camp. There were 35 plus invites.... he kept everyone happy.
He didn't have the problem of so many "definite Boomers" playing overseas as well.10 years ago, how many guys were playing overseas?

I assume PC is retiring from International BB?

Reply #418422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andersen, Anstey, maybe Cattalini, Heal, Bogut, Jason Smith. Cant think of any others. Probably a couple more, some who took end of season contracts.

Reply #418424 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

There weren't that many automatic selections when Goorjian was appointed. Most of them had retired from international competition after the 2000 Olympics (Vlahov,Bradtke, Gaze, Grace, Longley, Heal). Maher, Cattalini, MacKinnon, Anstey and maybe Rogers would have been seen as automatic. Probably Andersen also, although he hadn't played the Sydney Olympics. Heal made himself available again for international selection after Goorjian was appointed and would have been seen as automatic once he did that.

So, of those players, when Goorjian was appointed in September 2001, Andersen was playing in Italy, Cattalini in Spain and all the others were playing locally in the NBL.

Reply #418440 | Report this post

psycho  
Years ago

Only mills,dellavedova,ingles,baynes,bogut(if available) can consider themselves automatic selections for 2014. Everybody else has to earn their spot, I agree with lemanis selecting a c grade squad alot can happen in 12 months

Reply #418441 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I think Petrie may surprise and make the main team. His hustle on both ends of the floor, shooting ability and smarts make him a great replacement for Matty Neilsen.

even an upgrade of late ?

Reply #418470 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Petrie and Wagstaff are almost an Aussie version of Vukona and Boucher. Mobile stretch fours that can work well in Lemanis' defensive system.

Reply #418478 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Yes, but I dont see Wagstaff getting anywhere near a full strength team.. Petrie however, just maybe!

Reply #418487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I still hope that Motum, Drmic and Broekhoff get added. Anyone know whether this series will be on TV?

Reply #418494 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I understand that guys aren't available and this is only the larger squad, but brendan teys? Are you serious?

Reply #418497 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I agree Mick, Teys selection is really questionable. Perhaps Lemanis sees something in him that no one else has.

Reply #418501 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Teys? Who? Wow!

Loads of guys are unavailable for the camp so don't stress too much.

Reply #418504 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Vart, we use Vukona as a starting PF for the TBs not so much out of want but simply because we have nobody else.

You guys can run Motum there, who would be perfect for the international game. Or you can use Baynes or Andersen there.

Reply #418506 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

A few players have confirmed that they aren't available because they are working out to put themselves in a position for the NBA draft.

Motum, Dellavedova, Broekhoff etc.

Despite limited time in the NBL, Teys is actually pretty good. Woolpert didn't give him a sniff of a shot last season for whatever reason.

In saying that, this is only camp invites.. cuts will be made. It's great for Teys that he got an invite and will get a chance to work out with the rest of these guys. Can only help him improve.

Any 36er fans here? There's a player on that list that Wright is high on and has been working out for the past couple of years..

Reply #418510 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Perhaps Teys is currently studying, and as a result could be eligible for the university games team. That would explain his selection in this squad.

Reply #418514 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

MACDUB, I was talking more about the Breakers use of Vukona and Boucher rather than the Tall Blacks. The Boomers currently have a solid squad of bigs, however nearly all of them are centres. Andersen is very much at the end of his career, and Motum is just at the beginning. Baynes and Jawai are centres, and its doubtful whether they could transition to being full-time fours in international play. Therefore, there is currently a need for a player such as Petrie or Wagstaff to possibly play some minutes at the four, especially given the fullcourt defensive system Lemanis likes to use.

Reply #418516 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Laughing out loud at the idea of Petrie making the Boomers A squad

Reply #418541 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Nice to see Dumovic named, he's got a lot of potential and has been showing a bit in SEABL. Would he a 1-pt NBL player? If so would be a smart pick-up, perhaps as a DP first.

Reply #418542 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Andrija Dumovic's only what, 20? He could be signed as a development player

Reply #418552 | Report this post

psycho  
Years ago

Quite a few teams haven't signed backup bigs yet Dumovic is at least worth a look

Reply #418554 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Dumovic sort of slipped off the radar a bit didn't he? He was quite promising in repping for Australia's junior teams...

Reply #418559 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

well hes in the boomers/uni games squad so cant say he fell of the radar?

Reply #418568 | Report this post

psycho  
Years ago

I see that Simmons,Corey Maynard and Cameron Gliddon have been added to next gen boomers squad, 3 good additions especially Simmons

Reply #418708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Townsville Bully also reports Blanchfield has been invited, but that hasnt been announced?

Reply #418717 | Report this post

psycho  
Years ago

The other 3 guys were on basketball Australia website with original 17man squad

Reply #418725 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Cam Gliddon is actually better then I thought he would be. Wouldnt put him in the Aus A team but it isnt inconceivable that he could eventually get there.

Reply #418784 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Psycho where did u see those guys got added?

Reply #418785 | Report this post

psycho  
Years ago

On Australia basketball.net boomers 2013 squad

Reply #418787 | Report this post

psycho  
Years ago

On dailytelegraph website Simmons,Gliddon and Hadziomerovic added to boomers squad but basketball.net.au had Corey Maynard listed

Reply #418920 | Report this post

College watcher  
Years ago

BA website Simmons, Gliddon and Hadziomerovic added to boomers squad

http://www.basketball.net.au/index.php?id=302&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=2892&tx_ttnews[backPid]=282&cHash=850f09a711

Reply #418922 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:13 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754