Juniors
Years ago

Which junior clubs are ticking?

I'm wanting to get my kid into District basketball, been an old player, I've got some understanding but just want to do some research on the best clubs these days for my son's opportunities.

We are based near the city in Prospect but will go where ever we need to get the best coaching, opportunities to play in the Classics and give him the best chance possible to maybe make state and SASY.

Which clubs have the best coaches?

Which clubs have teh most active JDO?

Which clubs have the best leadership and board?

Topic #31828 | Report this topic

Ingles13  
Years ago

Inb4 30+ replies on Sturt poaching

Reply #421324 | Report this post

optional extras  
Years ago

shop around and dont ask on forums - try to ask trusted friends.

Reply #421327 | Report this post

Juniors  
Years ago

Yea I'm trying to.

But everyone I know says West or North, he'll be topage 12s and looking at things I'm starting to think Woodville or Centrals (never thought I'd imagine that), they were always a bit of a joke - espcially centrals.

Reply #421332 | Report this post

optional extras  
Years ago

prospect - you have north, norwood, west, woodville, forestville and sturt if you want the div 1 participation.

centrals, south, mavs, tigers all probably too far - just get on their websites - get your kid out to trainings and see if it is what you want.

Reply #421335 | Report this post

optional extras  
Years ago

stronger clubs are usually good throughout their age grades - you may get a good group in an age grade at some clubs but then the next year it was u/s.

I took my kids to my junior club - trying to do the right thing and it wasnt what it was 25 years ago and we moved on - my kids had successful junior careers.

if you want high performance participation - you want clubs that actively pursue that level.

but be prepared to work you way into the system - a desperate club will look good early and promise the world.

Reply #421336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

move to Vic !!

Reply #421344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Contact David Gould at West on 04321450190 for a chat

Reply #421390 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Your son may wish to ask around at his local school as well. He may have a number of friends who play at clubs already.

Another thing to consider is where he is going to high school as this could impact on travel logistics. If he is going to say Scotch, then it may be easier for him to go to Sturt.

My 2 cents worth:
I think all clubs have got good coaches and committees. Some are more vocal at letting you know it.

West and North are probably the closest.
Norwood could be a goer. My nephew is playing there and is happy.
Forestville. Always well organised.
Centrals - getting out of the city. Facilities are first class, but Adelaideans have a thing about going north of Gepps Cross.
Woodville - boys are deceptively strong. Don't be too quick to discount them. Also have a more "family feel" than a larger club where a child runs the risk of being a number.

Reply #421403 | Report this post

!  
Years ago

duke university run a reasonably good programme from what i hear

Reply #421407 | Report this post

Left Handed  
Years ago

From what i heard and looking at results, west are struggling in your sons age bracket, and above in 14s. Heard a few boys left there and went to woodville. Both Woodville 1s and 2s are doing well, 1s are in classics and made summer GF. Sturt are top, and Eastern and Southern are around the mark.

You get good and bad coaches everywhere, its really about finding a core group of kids that have talent and push each other for spots, then state and classics take care of themselves. And dont forget the hoop in the back yard or at the park, thats how you make state, working harder than everyone else. Well there is also who you know, but those kids in that bracket fall out anyway when their exposed. Back on the coaches, usually with a strong core squad in an age bracket the 1s and 2s are provided good coaches cause clubs want to keep these kids.

Phone some clubs and go to trainings and see what u think. Good luck.

Reply #421607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mikey Rogers the JDO at Norwood is extremely active, great with coaches, and giving feedback, etc, etc.....

Having past experience at West. Don't go there. Their 12s are a disgrace. Their 14s are even worse. There is no direction there.

Stick clear of West. IMO.

Reply #421677 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:04 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754