celtic green
Years ago

How many games does Brooklyn win next year?

I think they have a decent team (50+ wins) as long as they stay healthy, which is a big ask for PP and Garnett at this stage of their careers. But they have no bench. Can't see them making it out of the 2nd round if they make it that far, what is everyone elses opinion?

Topic #32025 | Report this topic

m  
Years ago

I still see them 4th behind Miami, Bulls, Pacers so 50 sounds about right. They will probably fight for 4th/5th with the knicks if D Rose is healthy.

Reply #425229 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Do they have enough balls to share around?

Reply #425238 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Bench isn't too bad.

Andray Blatche is nice, Terry is some good offense, Marshon Brooks should be more of a threat, CJ Watson is a solid backup PG.
If they could go out and get Oden cheaply that would be good.

Bench isnt bad.
Alot hinges on the stars healths..but lets be honest thats the case for every team.

Reply #425239 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Haha LC, yeah rumour is both the knicks and Brooklyn will be playing with two balls each game, that way everyone might get a touch

Reply #425258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

45 wins

Reply #425265 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

Oh I don't know, KG and Pierce I think are culture change type guys; they are only playing still to win. We saw what KG did when he went to the Celtics, I think he will have a similar (if smaller) effect on the Nets

Reply #425266 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Still don't know who is dumber, the Bobcats for drafting Cody Zeller with all the players still on the board or the Nets for giving up a million unprotected picks and committing to a massive payroll to an aging roster that will finish, what, fourth in the East?

This is why the lockout was a joke, you can't protect moron owners from themselves.

Reply #425297 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

If worst comes to worst, they don't win a title the next two years and PP/KG retire leaving them still with two all stars in D Will and Lopez along with JJ on a reduced contract and they aren't hindered by Wallace's and Humphries contract. Not like the 2014/2016 first round picks are likely to be lottery anyway

Reply #425303 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah but you aren't going to win a title so what's the point? All this noise for, what, a fourth place finish? Third at best? Don't get me wrong I have nothing against KG or Pierce, but giving up those draft picks also means they have less chips to offer for future trades.

It's not an issue if Prokhorov doesn't mind spending well into the luxury tax for the next ten years without a title to show for it though. But yeah, very very short sighted. They were already all-in with Joe Johnson on the books I guess, so it doesn't really matter. The only GM in the league dumb enough to trade FOR Joe Johnson is Billy King, so he's staying. You MIGHT be able to ship him to the Bobcats or the Bucks. They might be dumb enough.

If you could somehow get rid of Joe Johnson this wouldn't be that bad, but you won't...

Reply #425352 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

I can see 2016 being a lottery. Lopez already has feet issues, Joe Johnson is falling off a cliff fast and KG and Pierce will be long gone by then

Reply #425355 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Lopez is overrated. He does not deserve anywhere near max salary. When you're that slow and soft PLUS feet issues you're not going to have any sort of longevity.

Reply #425356 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

They have a coach with zero coaching experience. They will fail miserably

Reply #425363 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Mark Jackson had an extremely young side and zero coaching experience last year. He did alright.

It will all depend on whether the vets can buy in on whatever Kidd is selling, otherwise things will head South very quickly.

How is Iso-Joe going to be effective with even FEWER touches than last year? Max salary for 10ppg and no defensive effort, here we come...

Will Garnett bully Lopez into growing a pair or will his domineering personality be too much for the passively minded Lopez?

Which Deron Williams will show up: the genius do-it-all playmaker from the Jazz, or his fat lookalike that came to Brooklyn?

Will we see the Dallas Jet or his grounded, wingless, Boston edition?

Will anyone play D on this team other than Garnett?

You know what you'll get from Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett. Everyone else is a big "?" for my money...

Best case scenario is probably East Conference Semi-Finals loss, worst case is a first round exit in a sweep. What's the point in even bothering then?

I don't think firing Billy King once for trading for Joe Johnson is enough. You need to fire him, re-hire him, and then fire him again several times over.

Reply #425369 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

No, he had zero coaching experience the year before last and only won 23 games. He improved that to 47 wins in his second year.

This Nets team may not even have two season to win it all. It's now or never for them, and while some of the squad looks good on paper, I don't think the combination of aging veterans and a rookie coach is going to work for them.

Reply #425371 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah but I think that was as much of a reflection of an improved roster than Jackson improving as a coach that overwhelmingly.

But yeah I do agree with you this is going to be a disaster. Even the best case scenario for them (ECF semis for my money) is a failure when you consider their payroll.

Reply #425375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

High 40s for wins first round playoffs. Wouldn't make playoffs in the West

Reply #425382 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

Can you really blame Billy King for the Nets? The way it looks to me is Prokhorov wants everything now and refuses to wait, hence the lopsided trades that will kill them later. I remember reading at the time that Billy King did not want to do the DWill trade but was over-ruled, he wanted to build slowly with the young guys they had and the draft. Instead they gave away some great young players and have been chasing their tales ever since trying to make something, anything happen with the bloated salaries they have now

Reply #425425 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Well that changes things.

Prokhorov is about to learn the hard way that it takes more than money to win in the NBA.

Still, trading for Joe Johnson is one of the worst trades in NBA history and his name is on it, whether he was overruled or not.

Reply #425427 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

"Prokhorov is about to learn the hard way that it takes more than money to win in the NBA."

I don't know about that, worked for the Lakers (except last year!),Dallas and Miami.

The only team it hasn't worked for is New York!!!

Reply #425446 | Report this post

sj  
Years ago

Brooklyn for Championship
Unbelievable starting five, KG and Pierce will do their bit but always be threats
Few solid bench guys too

Reply #426160 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:18 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754