GM1
Years ago

SEABL Round 15

Bendigo got a close one at Mt Gambier last night.
Hobart down by 9 to Dandy
Brisbane comprehensive over Canberra
Albury run about over after loss to Nunawading

Topic #32088 | Report this topic

magpies  
Years ago

Pioneers v Bendigo games was a very good game. Pioneers probably should have got the W but could not stop ferguson in the last quarter, he was huge! The game showed that Pioneers are definitely conetenders for the title. Bendigo kept their streak alive which now stands at 16!

Reply #426431 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Huge win for Bendigo, big statement on the road. McFarlin 26 & 26!

Reply #426457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ballarat disgusting again!

Reply #426473 | Report this post

Sammy  
Years ago

Haven't had a chance to see ballarat play.
Care to elaborate anon ?

Reply #426491 | Report this post

terry u  
Years ago

Spectres smash geelong!

Reply #426495 | Report this post

Choppy Galopy  
Years ago

Ballarat did well considering they are smashed with injuries.

Reply #426514 | Report this post

Seablfan  
Years ago

Geelong look like they have fallen apart. Frankston almost rolled them in Geelong then Nunawading smacks them today. Saw today's game and apart from Herbert the rest of the team were completely outplayed by a Nunawading side without Tommy Greer and Chris Cameron!

Losses to Hobart, Bendigo and Nunawading suggests the Supercats are pretenders...

Reply #426522 | Report this post

AJ  
Years ago

Albury/Wodonga were terrible again. What a waste of a season.

Opacic was terrible, Jenkins 2-12 from the field.

Played with no heart whatsoever.

Chalmers gave some of his bench players more minutes due to the poor play of his starters. They all had their moments but Matt DeKoyer and Darcy Harding played like there was a force field stopping them from stepping inside the three point line. They took 20 shots between them with only two coming from inside the arc.

Terrible season, especially at home. Major disappointment after last year.

Reply #426584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At least coach has not played that spud Thomas Sharp! The boy needs to think about playing netball!

Reply #426602 | Report this post

bethdavis10  
Years ago

SEABL Round 15 Wrap Up - http://andthefoul.net/archives/6648

Reply #426615 | Report this post

Seablfan  
Years ago

Time to stop calling Supercats title favourites Beth...

1. Bendigo
2. Mt Gambier
3. Nunawading
4. Hobart
5. Geelong
6. Kilsyth
7. Dandenong
Then the rest...

Reply #426658 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

You are quick to drop off and criticise a team you obviously don't know we'll enough, Supercats have improvement in front of them...

Reply #426662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

seablefan - all those teams you place above Geelong in terms of championship favs, the Supercats have actually beaten, splitting the games against Hobart, Nunawading & Bendigo. And beating both Mt Gambier & Hobart on their home court is not an easy feat, especially getting a win at Mt Gambier this yr as they have only loss 2 games at home (Geelong & Bendigo).
The Supercats know that championships aren't won in June & July, so no point showing all your tricks at this stage of the season. Its about building towards the finals which is what they will be doing.

Reply #426665 | Report this post

lo 64  
Years ago

Yes Geelong did not perform to their best on the weekend - particularly Sunday. But this does not take away from the fact that they have one of the strongest groups of players in SEABL this year. Their depth is unmatched by any other team. To dismiss them at this stage of the season is foolish. They firmly hold second position in their conference and are incredibly unlikely to drop into 3rd position. If they can reach their full potential (which I don't believe they have yet this season) they will be very tough to beat. An incredibly professional coaching group who will leave no stone unturned to see the team excel.

Reply #426676 | Report this post

Seablfan  
Years ago

All good points.
But let's look at all the facts shall we?

Beat Bendigo in round 1 who were without 2 starters (we know they need all their starters as they have not lost since getting them)
Beat Hobart who were without a key starter
Beat Nunawading with two injured starters
Lost to all 3 the second time around.

Lucky to beat Frankston, Brisbane and NW Tasmania...

Have lost 2 of last 4, the 2 wins over a depleted Ballarat and lucky to beat frankston.

I'd say Geelongs record is fools gold!

Reply #426677 | Report this post

lo 64  
Years ago

Round 1 - Supercats beat Bendigo without import Theron Wilson or Liam McInerney. Also Nathan Herbert's first game back after a 12 month break

Beat Hobart at Hobart - only 3 teams have done so this season

Nunawading is also a strong team. Geelong beat them by 20 at home. Nunawading beat Geelong by 14 their at home. Pretty even results

Regardless... a Win is a Win is a Win and they have the luxury of being practically guaranteed a spot in the finals

I am not saying they are without their weaknesses but previous comments about them being 'pretenders' and their record being 'fools gold' are way over the top

Finals are not won mid season. Albury lost 12 games last year yet won the Championship. At the end of the day, this is the only game that matters

Look forward to seeing it all unfold...

Reply #426680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done to Bendigo on not losing since they got their starters all together - how would they actually go should they lose 1 or 2 starters for 1 match or more though?
Would be interested to see how a Bendigo side comprised of only 7 players, minus 2 starters and their 6th man, would go on the trip to Brisbane - could they come away with the win if they were missing Garlepp & Probert and pick a bench player because they don't seem to rely on them too much anyway.
Any team that is capable of getting a road win on the longest trip for a Victoria side, under those circumstances shows that they aren't pretenders.

Reply #426681 | Report this post

bethdavis10  
Years ago

Geelong are still very much title favourites along with Bendigo and Mt Gambier. I think Hobart are starting to struggle with injuries and a lack of depth after losing a few players, and Nunawading are coming alive at the right time to make their play off push. Geelong also defeated Mt Gambier, at Mt Gambier, which as Bendigo found out on Friday is no easy task. These last few games may be the wake up call Geelong need to get themselves focused and back to playing the game they should be playing - perhaps they have been lulled into some complacency.

Reply #426685 | Report this post

VP  
Years ago

The Miners were expected to struggle in 2013 after the 2012 exodus but the injuries and the player availability has also taken its toll in 2013.

Need to take stock for 2014!

Perhaps if they can keep most of the team together and add some key players it could turn around very quickly next year.

Reply #426691 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

At this stage it really is still a 3 horse race with 1 other team on the fringes.

Bendigo - Lack depth so must stay healthy

Mt Gambier- Balacned team but need Hill to be around come finals

Geelong - Great talented deep team but just a little out of sorts hopefully they gel a bit more because they have the weapons to win.

(Fringe Team) Nunawading really nipping at the heels of the other 3. After watching them on sunday they look better with Conn as the only big and just running Geelong off there feet. That said i still think they lack the depth in the guard rotation to get out of the south.

Reply #426705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shane McDonald is easily the best Australian guard in SEABL - maybe the best guard in the league. That's why Nunawading are good.

Reply #426712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I too agree Shane is the best guard in SEABL. It's been discussed before, too bad he earns more being a teacher than any contract he could get in the NBL.

Reply #426713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He could not get a NBL gig and Jazz from Bendigo runs rings around him. Lets not get carried away with ourselves Spectres fans. Maybe a little more D and a bit less dribbling. Don't get me wrong he is a good player, but the best pt guard in the league. No!

Reply #426721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^^^ AUSTRALIAN GUARD ^^^^^^^^ if you read the statement right.

Reply #426723 | Report this post

Gary  
Years ago

The question for me is will the NBL players be around for the finals? They may miss games or more likely training sessions and fly back for games.
Mt Gambier - Hill and Allen
Bendigo - Garlepp
Geelong - none
Hobart - none
Nunawading - Greer
Take these plaeys out of the line up and it becomes very interesting.

Reply #426727 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Taking those players out of their respective teams at the end of the season, just before finals is why we need to be wary of making big statements about certain teams at the minute...

Reply #426743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geelong would be very well placed if the other teams lose there NBL players wouldnt they.

Huge advantage having Herbert and 2 imports, Herbert is as good as any of the NBL contracted guys and Geelong get him for the full season.

Is Herbert any chance of returning to the NBL?

Reply #426745 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Herbert is a bit like Macdonald working in a job they enjoy and getting paid well so why take a pay cut and less job security to play NBL.

On the best PG thing, if you look at pure passing Macdonald has it hands down....as the import guards tend to score it more rather than distribute...so depends what sort of PG you are going for.

Reply #426749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fair enough re Herbert and McDonald, both great players, good enough for NBL so a huge advantage to their SEABL clubs, almost like having a 3rd import.

Reply #426751 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

I think Nunawading on have 1 import Gonzaga.

Not sure why they don't have a second one unless they count Greer as a restricted player.

Reply #426768 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Herbert is a born and bread Geelong local talent, what's your point anon? Should be more of those in every team IMO...

Most of the team is local, says something for the region I would think!

Reply #426809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I still think any of 6 or 7 teams can win this and as others have said, losing NBL players will hurt some teams badly should this happen. It's a very close comp with even teams that have been written off capable of scoring an upset. Bandits might be done for the season but even with their imports failing to fire and a generally poor performance, they still troubled the Spooks more than a team many here rated as favourites or close to it only a few weeks ago.

As to local products, Geelong is a big place so you'd hope they could produce a few top class players. It's the small regional towns that need to bring in outside talent.

Reply #426820 | Report this post

hugh j  
Years ago

I agree that McDonald is the best guard going around.
I also rate Czwarno(ihope spelling is correct)he IMO is underated.Vanrennen has improved also but fair way behind other 2. I am from Knox so no bias. I think if Nuna. get back Greer and Cameron they will beat everyone.

Reply #426827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no no, not bagging Geelong or Herbert, just saying its such a bonus to have a guy as good as Herbert, who is as good as the imports, as an unrestricted player and still being able to add 2 imports and other good players, something all clubs would love to be able to do, not bagging it all i say power to them and its great Geelong have developed someone as good as Herbert and are able to reap the rewards!

Its awesome for Herbert, Geelong, and the SEABL to have guys like Herbert playing at a high level in it, i watch Geelong games on youtube out of interest to see Herbert play a fav of mine from his 36ers days!

Reply #426848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hugh j. I think McDonald and Czwarno are offensively better, but Vanrennen defence is ahead of them. Every game he is given the toughest defensive assingment. Geelong still have every chance of taking it out. Between Bendigo, Mt Gambier, Geelong and Nuna IMO

Reply #426925 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:15 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754