Wookiee
Years ago

Kings to sign 11th player

So I'm not completely useless, guessing (ok, HOPING) that this is what they were going to do...

@ShaneHeal
@boti_nagy your excused mate. You probably thought we had no more announcements! We will carry 11 players under the cap and points.1 to come

‏@ShaneHeal
Read the telegraph tomorrow to see our latest recruit or check out the kings website. Very exciting for the future.

@ShaneHeal
Ask @boti_nagy we don't need another guard. He is a 4 man.

Anyone hoping for the best, or do we think that it's going to be a relative unknown? I'm torn, as if it's going to be in the Telegraph tomorrow, I'm hoping it's going to be a decent/noticeable piece, and for that it would have to be someone decent, surely?

And the question remains, who's sitting out initially / once Madge comes back?

Sanders / Gleeson / Armour
Carmouche / White
Madgen / Harvey
11th Signing? / Garlepp / Hill
Ogilvy / Allen

Easy to say we can sit Armour out initially, giving us a bit more front court depth, but once he comes back, I guess that will have been long enough to determine if Allen has turned a corner, maybe?

Topic #32150 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

what happen to tom daly

Reply #427495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's Cody Ellis. Great pickup.

Reply #427509 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Wookie, Armour is an injury replacement for Madgen, so won't be part of the main squad when he returns

Reply #427512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wow it is Cody Ellis great pick up, would he be ready to start in the NBL straight away? definatly fixes up the lack of depth at pf.

Wont come until December, but assuming Madgen is back they will have a line up of

Ogilvy/Allen
Ellis/Garlepp
Madgen/Hill
Carmouche/Harvey/White
Sanders/Gleeson

A much better balanced team imo, especially if Ogilvy is a star and Ellis is good enough to start or atleast split minutes straight away, given his college career i think he would be ok with 15-20 mins from the start.

A fairly young and potentially exciting team, if Madgen comes back quickly and in good form, no other major injuries, Ogilvy turns out to be one of the better C's, imports can play and the others can atleast give 15-20 quality minutes as required they could be a surprise team and contend, if a few things go wrong they could end up near the bottom, not many proven NBL stars other than Madgen, but will be very interesting to watch.

Reply #427520 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Sorry, shane you lost me at Ben Allen..

Reply #427524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Cody Ellis confirmed or just another rumour

Reply #427526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

confirmed on kings website

Reply #427530 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Excited about Ellis.

But the Ben Allen experience has changed my mindset quite a bit.

Allen averaged more points in his final year than Ellis.

With that been said, I am not worried about Ellis as he has way more dimensions than Allen (can rebound, play defence, post up)

I am worried about Young though.
He could be Ben Allen v 2.0

Reply #427535 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Still soft as butter up front. Ellis doesn't really address that.

Reply #427536 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Ben Allen should be flipping burgers. i am actually annoyed that he is still in the league... it lowers the standard. I hope Graeme Dann doesnt get picked up by anyone too... another dud.

Reply #427538 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The sad thing is if you are Ben Allen's height it's pretty hard not to be playing pro ball if you have some semblance of a desire to.

Which is why you almost have to be making an effort to not be playing in the NBL if you:

a). want to, and

b). are a 7 foot Australian male aged between 20 and 40.

Reply #427541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great signing for Sydney.

Reply #427542 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Please dont compare Mitch Young to Ben Allen, completely different approaches to the game. Young just stood firm against a bloody good USA frontcourt at the WUG. He wont back down whereas so far Allen has refused to even get up!

Reply #427543 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

How did Allen get a gig over someone like Dumovic??

I havent heard that he is going to college..thought he would be looking at NBL.

Reply #427544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I really hope dumovic gets picked up. Once the season starts im going to start a Ben Allen watch thread!

Reply #427550 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Not sure if anyone has a spot for Dumovic. Cairns and Townsville both have that starting big spot still open (Burston rumoured to have signed with cairns but not yet confirmed) but Dumovic isn't good enough to start.

Reply #427552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah a definite backup running out of options, maybe Wollongong?

Reply #427555 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Wollongong would be great for him. He has shown with improved SEABL form and at Stankovic and WUG that he is worth investing in. Would be nice to see Gordie take that chance, a succession plan for Davidson perhaps?

Reply #427556 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I'd have liked to see him take Hinder's spot in TSV.

Reply #427560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Amazed that the wildcats missed out in the race for Cody Ellis! I can't imagine the locals are pleased at all, surely signing a talented forward is important but even more so when the Ellis name has been si important to the club over time.

Great pick up by Kings, they needed another body up front. Can't see him being 11th man to hit the court! Don't be surprised if he ends up starting at some state.

Reply #427636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He will get more opportunity at Sydney, in Perth he would be fighting for minutes with hire,wagstaff and redhage

Reply #427638 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

And potential minutes are a big lure for a rookie. No competition at PF in Sydney. More than enough in Perth.

Reply #427702 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I wouldn't say NO competition... Garlepp will no doubt be taking the lions share if he continues his form from last season and makes the most of his chances, plus if pigs start flying, Allen has got a handful of games to prove his worth, which, if it works out, could push AJ to the 4 for some minutes to make the most of both of them against bigger teams, plus, with Madgen returning and the SF spot getting a bit crowded, Hill will be pushing for back up minutes as well...

Reply #427748 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bit of a difference though to Redhage, Hire, Wagstaff and Knight (if Dunigan plays in Perth). All of those Kings guys are benchies at best on a strong team until they prove otherwise. Besides maybe Hill, but even he has been in and out of favour at every club he's been.

Reply #427757 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

They may start Hill at 4 and bench Garlepp.

Reply #427758 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Start an undersized 4 when Garlepp is more than capable and has paid his dues? I hope not...

Reply #427770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They will have 2 months without Ellis and madgen so its the perfect opportunity for others to step up. I don't think Ellis will be a starter from day 1.

Reply #427772 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ellis can't be a starter from day one. Won't be playing until December due to college commitments, right?

Reply #427784 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Right... finishing up his Communications degree, so hopefully back before Xmas, and if we have the all-star game at a similar time to last year, hopefully misses just up until the first week or two of December...

Reply #427961 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:28 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754