Reply #427678 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Tanking? LOL

Yes because im sure Kobe will tolerate that in the back end of his career

Reply #427679 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

It's going to annoy me if the Lakers get a lottery pick this year, knowing them they'll some how get the #1 and be good for another 10-15 years.

Reply #427681 | Report this post

Carcus Mamby  
Years ago

Yes, because kobe, pau, kaman and nash are really going to get it done this year.
I doubt they will make finals. But the following year they will be huge, they have alot of money to spend that year.

Reply #427682 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Theres a difference between losing games normally (because your not good enough) and tanking.

Tanking involves purposely losing games.

Why would guys like Nash, Pau and Kobe purposely lose games.

Reply #427683 | Report this post

m  
Years ago

Carcus Mamby, the problem is that they won't have a lot of money because Kobe said he won't take a paycut. He takes up half the teams cap room atm.

Reply #427687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Be mediocre. Too good to tank, probably not good enough to make playoffs.

Reply #427689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe is a selfish s.o.b

Reply #427690 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

In the middle is the worst, if I wasn't really good in the NBA, I'd want to be really bad.

Reply #427692 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

6-7th seed

Reply #427693 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

They dont need draft picks..theyll have plenty of cash for 14-15.

Even if Kobe comes back on big money, the Lakers will still be in a better financial position than Miami

Reply #427695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lakers will be mediocre next season not good enough to be a contender or bad enough to get a great draft pick

Reply #427696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nash/Farmar
Kobe/Meeks
Young/???
???/Kelly?
Gasol/Kaman

I'd be surprised if Gasol and Kaman start, especially given D'Antoni's system didn't really work with the twin towers. Having said that, Kaman has more offensive game than Dwight and has a better mid-range game. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the team as a whole plays better this upcoming season. The Lakers did go 28-12 over the final 40 games which equates to 57-58 wins in a season. This was despite all of the injuries they went through. Also note that the Lakers were most effective when Pau and Kobe were on the court with Dwight on the bench last season. Won't surprise me at all to get at least 50 wins next season. If i'm wrong, and they do bad, they'll be able to reload next off-season. All this talk about Kobe not taking a pay cut has been misinterpreted. If you listen to the actual interview he also included that getting an extension between him and the Lakers will be no problem. He'll get a deal in the 15-18 million range I would think, enough to bring in a max deal or two. Melo is my pick who will definitely go to LA. He has a great relationship with Kobe and they've talked about playing together. John Wall may be a bolter eas well. Should be an interesting time in la la land these next 12 months.

Reply #427701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe & Melo? Yeah right not enough basketballs to go around.

Reply #427714 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

They are absolutely fucked while Jim Buss is calling the shots.

Keeping Mike D'antoni is probably a good move though because he is a terrible coach and should get them a decent draft pick.

Reply #427730 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

When is Kobe due back? Does anyone know what the prognosis was? I can't see them doing much until he is back and I also think it will take him 15-20 games to work himself back into form, if he ever gets back to the level he was at last year

Reply #427736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe is way ahead of schedule and is going to be full go by this time next month. So if all keeps going to plan, he'll be ready for game one of the season.

Reply #427737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No way, expect Kobe to miss at least the first third of the season.

Reply #427767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe is a great player we all agree on that. He will be 36 in 2014 will his ego allow him to take a step back so the Lakers can benefit from great free agent class, if not they might be stuck in mediocrity

Reply #427771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe ran Shaq, Phil, Malone & Payton out of town just so he could be the top dog on a crap Lakers team that didn't even make the playoffs in '05.

Two more mediocre years followed with 1st round exists even with Phil back counting the money before landing Gasol and becoming a championship team again.

Kobe has always put himself above the team and the team interests and I doubt next offseason will be any different.

FFS, he just ran Dwight Howard out of town you really think LeBron or Melo would put up with Kobe and his antics?

Reply #427779 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"he just ran Dwight Howard out of town"

Howard ran himself out of town. The professionals on the team weren't too impressed by his approach and attitude and he was offside with many teammates he left behind in Orlando. Failure to take responsibility came up, if I recall correctly.

Reply #427789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's heartless no doubt but during the season Kobe got up and blasted the guy in the Lakers locker room in front of everyone else, hardly an endearing thing.

Also in the Lakers face-to-face pitch to re-sign Howard, Kobe basically said he needed to learn how to win (made an NBA Finals series without Kobe) and should concentrate on rebounds & defence i.e. leave the offence to Kobe.

The absolute last person you'd have from the Lakers pitching to a free-agent is Kobe.

Reply #427792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A few notable parts:

When Howard escaped L.A. during this summer's NBA free agency, he took with him any realistic chance Bryant had to have another star big-man snag him a ring. Kobe's first three titles came as second fiddle to Shaquille O'Neal, arguably the most physically dominant center to ever play the game. After Bryant ran Shaq out of town, the Lakers immediately went into the toilet and were unable to even capture a playoff berth in the season following their fourth straight Final's appearance.

Los Angeles would only return to the spotlight after Kobe threatened to walk himself, prompting the Lakers to add three new big-men to the roster (Pau Gasol, Andrew Bynum and Lamar Odom). Kobe climbed their shoulders for two more titles while making people believe he was the biggest reason for the turnaround. Bryant's career proved he was only as good as his dominant inside game allowed him to be. The same cannot be said about the man to which he is unjustly compared.

Considering Bynum could not wait to get away from Bryant, and Howard took his first chance to click the eject button on his seat next to Kobe, this now marks the third center to run screaming from a player who will demand a statue outside Staples Center when his career is done.

Howard's refusal to be the next big man to anchor Kobe could send a clear signal to other players in the league to avoid the Lakers until the "Tinseltown Tyrant" has called it quits.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/chicago-bulls-dwight-howard-bolting-l-puts-end-193400669.html

Reply #427799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think they could make the playoffs. Kobe carried an even worst team to the playoffs a few years ago.

Reply #427816 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

He was a hell of a lot younger then when he did that; I honestly don't think they make the playoffs. They just lost 2 starters and they barely made it last year when Kobe was playing quite well (says everyone but Ingles). Gasol is not the same player either.

Reply #427841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're a dick anon

Reply #427845 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Can we all just agree that Dwight Howard is a childish narcissist without a competitive streak who wants to please everyone but pleases no one and Kobe is an overbearing, psychopathic narcissist who grates on everyone around him who doesn't put winning 1st, 2nd and 3rd and call it a thread?

Reply #427926 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Topic still stands beside that. Truth is they have an ageing roster and probably limited tradebait? Plus the list of available free agents is getting pretty scrawny and pathetic. Nate Robinson is left.

If not for last season, they might've attracted guys to play with Nash, Kobe and Gasol.

Only thing going for them in the semi-short term is ability to pay.

Reply #428263 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:34 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754