20 second time outs - any takers?

I like the idea - what do you think?

NBA / WNBA style

Topic #3220 | Report this topic

what

Reply #37187 | Report this post

Info session  
Years ago

If you want to introduce all the American rules, how about going to play over there instead?

The possession arrow is bad enough without bringing in Illegal defence, defensive three seconds, five step dunks and 20 second time outs.

Reply #37192 | Report this post

The NBA doesn't have the possession arrow.

And if you meant 20 second time outs in the ABA then I disagree. They are just a stupid timeout for the NBA so they can get the ball at halfcourt at the end of the game, which doesn't happen in Australia (yet) so there's no real need for them.

Reply #37194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree ELG, and anyway we play under FIBA rules. Yes the NBL has 12 minute quarters but other than that it is pretty much the same.

Reply #37195 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

Info session...Way to attack the American system without even understanding what you talking about. As ELG said, the NBA doesn't have the possession arrow and are you aware that illegal defence & defensive three seconds are the exact same thing?

I like a lot of the American rules and I think a lot of their departures from FIBA are for the better. Australia is too tightly linked with FIBA in my opinion, not all rules and policies of FIBA are good for the unique brand of basketball that is the NBL.

With that said, 20 seconds time outs slow the game down too much for my liking. One thing the NBL has over the NBA is that it is much faster. Not the pace of the game but the length of the game. I like it like that.

Reply #37205 | Report this post

Australia should forget all the rules that they gained from America. Like the 24 second shotclock and the possession arrow.

Reply #37240 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

The 20 sec time-out in the NBA is for commercials for sponsorship! THAT'S WHY IT'S THERE!

Reply #37243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how about being able to call timeout when the ball is in play? If you're dribbling the ball get across half court and call timeout. then there is no need for the 20 sec time out and teams dont have to spoit their oppositon 10-0 runs!

Reply #37259 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:03 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754