Benno
Years ago

Exum "college this season is not an option"

Interesting article on Dante, bit of an update. I myself reckon he will bypass college for the NBA. He did however narrow down the 5 schools he would attend. Indiana, North Carolina, Kentucky, Michigan and Oregon.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9609453/dante-exum-enroll-college-december

Topic #32502 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

anyone got access to the insider part of this article?

Reply #434197 | Report this post

Years ago

oregon were on the improve last season - but it would be hard to go past the first ones.

Reply #434226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nowhere near ready for the NBA. He needs 4 years of college.

Reply #434230 | Report this post

Years ago

first 4 are probably in stronger conferences

Reply #434233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is one and done if he goes to college, no way he stays for 4. How many do these days?

Reply #434248 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Those Oregon new facilities are pretty sweet. Can the Basketball team use some of them as well? But seriously not sure he needs 4 years of college tho! lol

Reply #434256 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Part of the article...

"Schools have been saying I can start in early December and play this season," Exum told ESPN. "But if college is the option, I'll stay in Australia, do workouts with the national team and then go to college next August. Playing this season in college is not an option."Exum, who turns 19 on July 13, told ESPN that he remains 50-50 on whether to bypass college and go to the NBA.Exum also disclosed his five finalists to ESPN -- Indiana, North Carolina, Kentucky, Michigan and Oregon -- if he chooses to attend college. He said he plans to take visits to the schools after he graduates from high school.

Reply #434279 | Report this post

Flip  
Years ago

I would say probably North Carolina or Indiana. Just a guess. Just because his Dad went to UNC

Reply #434281 | Report this post

Some_Fulla  
Years ago

Didn't his dad get dunked on by Andrew Gaze??

Reply #434283 | Report this post

Pauly B  
Years ago

Considering most mock drafts have him in the top 5 of a stacked draft class he's probably better off skipping college and going straight into the draft while his stock is high. Why risk injury or reducing your stock by playing college ball?

Reply #434290 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

He really is in a tough position. He really could use some college experience and development but being projected to go so high makes it very tempting to just go straight in. I kinda think you take that money while its there as you never know what might happen. Even if he slips or others rise you have to think top 10 is a lock.

Reply #434293 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

He is a lock for Top 10......only goes backwards if he plays college!

It is a stack draft and currently projected at 3 behind to "franchise" changing talents.

Reply #434302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He should go to an NBL club and develop for a year, playing minutes only if ready.

Reply #434314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You people don't get it. He is nowhere near ready for the NBA. He's a kid. Too many people are caught up in the hype that the so called 'experts' have created. He needs to get stronger and create a body that can handle thr rigours of an NBA season. He'll do that through college. If and it's a big 'if' he did go to the NBA now he runs the risk being a bust. Did not the Oceania series show you where he is at? Give the kid time to develop.

Reply #434318 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

Not sure what your on about Anon... 5 minutes a game is enough to tell he's not ready? Seriously? lets ignore the multiple games scouts etc saw of him, lets just judge the kid on 10 minutes of total play time where he hardly touched the ball and didnt run the offense.

Reply #434358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's not a point guard. Combo at best but scoring guard really. He's not ready now, but in 12 months he might be. He's better than almost everyone his age.

Reply #434360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly sircreate. A supposed top 10 draft pick in the NBA. The toughest competition in the world. Wouldn't you expect a top 10 pick to get more time than that against NZ?

Reply #434361 | Report this post

SamCro  
Years ago

There are still a lot of whole's in his game that really need a lot of work & obviously he needs to get a lot stronger & play a more physical game than what he is currently showing at the moment. He is a prodigious talent that's for sure I just hope the work ethic is there to go along with the talent?

Reply #434390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one drafting him is going to expect him to win rookie of the year. That has to be part of the advantage of going in such a stacked draft class. There are going to be far greater perceived 'flops' than Exum, whose current state of physical immaturity and unfamiliarity with the American game will both be cited as justification for any mediocrity during his rookie campaign.

For what it's worth, I think he's going to be a very good NBA player, whenever he gets there. He has great feel for the game and the kind of length and quickness to be an elite defender at the 1/2, and how many of those are there in the league who can also make a significant offensive contribution? He has plenty of shortcomings, but so do the overwhelming majority of rookies, and Exum's fundamentals are more sound than those of most of his American counterparts. Good NBA franchises help a player address his shortcomings, and I think Exum has the work ethic and intelligence to make the most of the resources his team would provide.

Reply #434392 | Report this post

Myk  
Years ago

Coach didn't play him cause Australia is riding Patty Mills jock. Yes that patty mills that sometimes plays 5 mins of NBA minutes a game. 3rd/4th string point guard.
It's going to be so funny when Dante turns Patty into a bench warmer for Australia too.
Top 5 pick he has to go to NBA. They will give him minutes and balk him up a little.

If you have ever watched him he is like a young Penny Hardaway if anyone rembers him his 1st few years in the league?

Athletic with a lot of length for a pg. needs to work on his shooting but he will be fine.

Very mature for his age.

Reply #434407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lemanis is weak.

Reply #434443 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:18 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754