anon
Years ago

I don't like larger clubs poaching from smaller clubs

I'm a big believer in clubs developing their own talent. But I do understand when good players are looking for opportunities at larger clubs. What I don't like us when larger clubs go out and approach players at the smaller clubs.

Thoughts?

(Mod: Original topic title was "CLEARANCE TIME - the poachers are out".)

Topic #32506 | Report this topic

Ashke  
Years ago

Give an example, spill the beans otherwise this is an age old topic that has been covered a millions of times...

Reply #434213 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Warrandyte continue to loose players to Bulleen. It really doesn't help that we all play each other on Saturdays.

Reply #434215 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Yep always going to happen, just about nothing you can do about it either.

Reply #434220 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Melbourne Tigers are the ultimate poachers selling false hope to other club's juniors

Reply #434222 | Report this post

El Diablo  
Years ago

The smaller the club the bigger the egos of those who run them.

In my experience smaller clubs are incestuous and if your not in good with the people in charge forget about any development (not that they have much in the way of development).

As for the warrandyte guy comment. It business 101.

An association needs to have at least 4 court (in their main stadium) in order to get large enough economies of scale.

I cannot hide my hatred for little clubs run by tyrants

Reply #434223 | Report this post

Anon12  
Years ago

Whilst I know this is a 'basketball' website I thought that it was mainly an SA site given the person that created it. Most people in SA basketball don't really care about a thread such as this when it is really directed to Victorian clubs/players. In future maybe it would be appropriate to signify which state is being referred to in the topic. In that way readers can avoid topics in which they are not interested.

Reply #434224 | Report this post

Years ago

anon dont be so hard - that is why it was changed from hoops sa to just hoops.

national posters are welocme.

good thread as we had a coach from a div 4 team attempt to poach our div 4 players game day in uniform - anyway all the families did was go and tell our coach and nobody is transferring....

Reply #434225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt here in SA approach players occasionally, but ultimately players naively make the jump of their own accord expecting greener pastures and promises of College basketball, ask the right people they will tell you about the false prophet Meske ;P

Reply #434228 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I agree with Melbourne Boy! Tigers are one of the worst poaching clubs and they promise you the world until they poach someone better.

Reply #434234 | Report this post

Years ago

welcome to the world

Reply #434235 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon12, the way I look at this is that it's either a name-and-shame gossip thread, in which case the posters would be best to take it up with those in question. Or it's a general topic that, regardless of individual mentions, can apply to everyone. e.g., is everyone fair game? Is it just part of the game? And so on. I'd rather encourage the latter because the fewer names, the fewer complaints I get.

As . says, welcome to the world. I'd like to think that some level of offer by clubs encourages competition and improvement (don't want players to leave? Make your club a better place to play), and parents are generally responsible enough to ask around and recognise false promises. Yes, customers will leave for one reason or another (and even when you feel like you've done a good job) but that's how it is.

Edit: I can appreciate that losing developed players is frustrating. Same goes with clients. So be it.

Reply #434247 | Report this post

Years ago

at the time of promise - it may be a viable option.
but if the result is several years down the track things may change.
once you start talking college etc - it is a lot of work - and yes the benefits are great to right person.

a lot of dynamics come into play - if you really want college and reach a dead end go beyond that dead end. There are plenty of options - just do your homework.

when we employee people at my work - some intakes are strong and others not so....

Reply #434250 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Interesting topic, yes probably been done before I'd imagine and at the risk of covering old territory I will try to give the original poster what I know...

Before I do, just a quick response to the anon who believes this is a S.A. exclusive forum where other users need to announce themsleves beforehand, 'now that you have been awoken, welcome to the real ....... world mate'!

Okay, back on track. I have been in both situations, having left a smaller or less successful club for one which is considered larger and more successful.

Also I have been and still am involved in both a smaller club which occasionally loses players to larger clubs and one of the largest in our town.

A few pointers I have learnt along the way:

1. Every club is individual, the people who run the club are key; It's culture and outside perception is about those who are involved, not the size of the club.

2. The harder you try to hold on to a player the tighter the squeeze, therfore the more pressur and the end result is cracks start to appear and before long you lose control and lose respect.

3. Kids with talent will sort themselves out, no matter where they go, but they will seek something better if their original club can't provide it, fair enough too, as they will not grow if they are the big fish in a small pond. Tough, but fact!

4. Kids with less talent, however seeking glory with stronger teams/clubs, end up no better off and no happier so you will find they will complain no matter where they go. Also a fact...

5. Have an open door policy, let everyone decide for themselves. If integrity is the issue, look at your club from top to bottom and ask yourself 'what is it that makes our club attractive/unattractive'.

6. Honesty and the right people involved will always win out and remember that new kids will always come along to play hoops so if your club is a good one (big or small), it doesn't matter if another club poaches because people change for reasons, you just have to work out why!

Last thing, why is your club there? Ask yourself that question first of all then check your club's mission statement and read it, might open your eyes a bit, cheers... :]

Reply #434266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon12, there's this thing called the Internet, and it's kind of global...

Thanks for catching up.

Reply #434267 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Warrandyte are hypocrites. How many girls have you poached from Blackburn. I'm sure Justin can tell you.

Reply #434268 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Like Isaac said, don't want the players to leave then make sure they have a reason to stay.
The big clubs are ran with as many egos as the smaller clubs, and have just the same bullshit politics being played.
Club loyalty is something for 20 years ago when there probably was some loyalty from clubs to players, but it seems the only loyalty these days is that of the people in power to themselves and their mates.
End of the day it's not poaching if the kid leaves to pursue something better for themselves. It's not just big clubs who do it either, the small clubs do it just as much but just doesn't work for them usually as well as the bigger clubs.

Reply #434269 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The SA vs everyone issue is not something I'm oblivious too. Though I've been saying it for probably three years, I do hope in the future Hoops will have better categorisation than just Juniors, Local and ABL when it comes to those facets of basketball in Australia. e.g., individual categories for SEABL, QBL, juniors per state, etc.

Reply #434275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's an issue everywhere but NSW even has their junior rep comps set up to favour the larger clubs qualifying teams in Div 1 but then that is not surprising when you look at who controls BNSW.

Reply #434298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Been at big clubs and small clubs.

FACT: Bigger clubs have better resources. They have more revenue = better economies of scale.

FACT: Bigger clubs have a culture/history of success. Former players that have been successful coach teams in age groups they had success in as players.

FACT: Through volume of players and depth of talent trainigs in bigger clubs are far more intense, far more competitive and because players are fighting for spots they attend trainings. Small clubs often have trainings with 7 out of 14 players rocking up.

FACT: Smaller clubs tend to be lower socio-economic areas and attract people that feel they can influence outcomes politically for themselves and theirs.

FACT: Small clubs spend too much time coming with conspiracy theories for their short comings rather than doing the work (EG: the association is against us, umpires target us, our players dont get fair opportunities etc. etc.). They become bitter and jealous at the haves/

FALSE: Big clubs poach. They don't poach. Players/parents go to where they feel their kids can develop in a positive, learning environment free from political influence, get intense trainings, better coaching and climb the sport's pathways.

Reply #434323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

VJBL rules only allow for 2 transfers per team so it takes a while to grab lots of players. This rule was brough in to stop the mass poaching from clubs like DV,Tigers and bulleen. The Venom comments are spot on, that whole club was started by Nelson paoching girls and making promises which NEVER came true.
Bottom line is most players and parents move because they think its better on the other side but the truth is it only works for a few and the good times onnly last a season or two. Most get caught out not being able to live up to thier own hype.
As for this being a SA site, the only topic would be about how badly run SAB is. like another poster said, welcome to the world dude.

Reply #434326 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:39 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754