anonymous
Years ago

Changes in SA Under 16 for 2013/14

Has the BSA changes for u16 div 2 caused an exodus of Sturt and Forestville players and squeaky caregivers hounding other clubs for div 1/2 spots? Sturt and Forestville loose their second div 2 teams under the new arrangements (I've included selections from District By-Laws 130305.pdf)

1.7. Club and Team Eligibility

Under 12, 14, 16, 18, Youth League and Senior Division 2
c) The following clubs have the right to participate in these competitions, except in cases specified by g) below: Central Districts, Eastern, Forestville, North Adelaide, Norwood, South Adelaide, Southern, Sturt, West Adelaide, Woodville.

e) The maximum number of teams in these divisions shall be 10, except in the following circumstances:

i) The Under 16 Division 2 competitions will have a maximum of 12 teams until the 2013/14 Summer season then 10 from that season onwards.

What are the other clubs experiencing out there?

Topic #32718 | Report this topic

Years ago

Might just find sturt and forestville wallop the div 3 comp and nobody leaves and comes to your club.

Reply #437772 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

If the likes of Centrals/South/Woodville don't enter a team in division 2 then expect Forestville/Sturt/Magic to fill the vacant spots to make a 10-team competition.

Poachers from multiple clubs have already offered Sturt/Forestville players positions and at least few that I know of have decided against changing clubs.

Sturt may fill a second team in div2 boys, and Forestville is fairly likely to do so in div2 girls.

Reply #437773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

that's gotta be the funniest line of 2013

"Poachers from multiple clubs have already offered Sturt players positions"

how dare someone else attempt Sturt's 'junior development' technique

Reply #437776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Except that Sturt has less kids from other clubs than those teams that they played in the finals. So, it looks like other clubs actually poach more than Sturt. Especially west who had more than half their grand final teams come from other clubs. Or Nowood or Forestville for that matter who have more transfers I to their clubs.

Reply #437778 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Can we try to avoid having another Sturt vs. The World poaching thread? I don't feel like taking responsibility for opening Pandora's Box.

Reply #437783 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Looks like the twenty or so kids in u16 div 2 are being crowded by the kids coming up from u14s and with only 8-10 div 1 spots and 8 div 2 spots at the big clubs there aint no room for the 20 or so prodigal children. They got to go somewhere. Any going interstate? Now that would be total devotion.

Reply #437784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt more than happy to push em to their social league $$$ fact is you aint the best you aint in D1-2, Go trial at another club good luck.

Reply #437786 | Report this post

Hydra 21  
Years ago

Has poaching turned to pushers - ironic

Reply #437787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Same thing occurred 2 years ago in these age groups in U14's. Nothing has happened. If anything Sturt look to have gotten stronger with 2 inclusions in the boys. Same in the girls with Forestville picking up the best non Sturt kid.

Until people understand its got nothing to do with playing div 1 and everything to do with providing a consistently good service, nothing will change.

Reply #437788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Consistently good service.....I almost choked on my midnight snack.....you need to get down to the coal face mate and talk to the slaves

Reply #437791 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Get real - has everything to do with playing Div 1. Little (or by now) Big Johnny doesn't get his spot in a Div 1 squad, he/she will be looking to move to another club. If he/she has any decent skills, the Club will take them. That's just life and means kids have to work harder to retain their spot whichever club they're at.

Reply #437793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All sturt will do is setup a domestic comp of the same standard of div 2.  Sturt have superior product and kids/parents want to have the opportunity to develop as a sabre.  This is a better outcome for sturt as they will run a WHOLE competition at the same level of Div 2 district.

Reply #437795 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I can hear the Imperial March playing.....

Reply #437796 | Report this post

Years ago

At the end of the day if someone wanted d1 elsewhere they would go regardless of whether they were d2 or 3. As we have seen already it just means the lower div will be dominated. When sturt could have 2 div 1 teams we regularly beat them in div 1 and they were about mid range plus a top 4 team. Now they just win it all with team restriction.

Reply #437797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon,

It hasn't happened yet. That's just a myth.

Reply #437801 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

I'd rather see a second Sturt or Forestville team than Magic in there.

Reply #437822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's quite simple really 2 many kids at 1 club go and play at another if your serious about being a player. Playing Div 1 at most clubs opens a lot of doors, state, pans, college and many others so their will be changes
Which can only be good for the div 1 competition etc

Reply #437869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Again. You are wrong. Most of the kids making i16 state this year played div 2 last year. Most of the kids who will make 18 boys state next year will have played div 2 this year.

No point playing sic 1 with bad coaching in a team that doesn't train hard. When you can get good coaching and train against the best 2 times a week.

Reply #437871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As players get older they develop through deliberate practice. This means kids from about 13/14 striving for an expert level of performance need high level coaching in an elite training environment (IE with other high level athletes) more than playing games at a higher level. Therefore; youngsters getting poor coaching adn development at a junior level in an environment where they aren't competing against other talented athletes will be disadvantaged, even if they are playing at a div 1 level.

Don't forget you only play div 1 games for 20 mins (if you're lucky) per week, yet you train for 5-6 hrs if you are striving to be an elite level player. You develop in the correct training environment!!

Reply #437873 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

I think the rule is a good one and kids will move wherever their parents want them to go

By the look of the clearance rates so far, more kids are going to the bigger clubs already

Reply #437910 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Having a second team in Div 2 does help and give an advantage to clubs. It means the Div 1 team that has moved from say 14-1's can be held together in 16-2's as bottom age and then play 16-1's as top age. The longer a team can be help together, even a core team, the stronger that team is.

Reply #437913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Imperial March with Duelling Banjos perhaps?

Reply #437914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can do that anyway Jack.

Reply #437917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No and yes Jack. It's not about clubs it's about the game and the kids that ACTUALLY play. Get your head out your own arse for once.

Reply #437918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All serious clubs should be doing that anyway Jack, obviously yours doesn't.

Reply #437924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you will find jack isnt closely involved with a club. He is a basketball boffin, a propeller head. Just listen to what he has to say and smile politely would be my advice.

Reply #437929 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Wooah... all I am saying is that having a second div 2 team means that a club can have one team for top ages, one for bottom ages and has more options to hold those teams together at a higher standard.

924, I agree. Smart clubs who are serious hold their teams together as a group if possible. It's dumb to overlook current players and constant look over the fence for "the next big thing". A champion team always beats a team of champions.

917, chillax! Why make a personal attack on me like an "Angry Jerk"? Of course it is about the kids and their enjoyment of the game. Too many players drop out of the sport already.

Reply #437931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am aware of one kid who is still U16 and is now at a fifth club (4th club actually but returning to one of those 4 that he left). Is that what we want - people on the continually on the move for whatever reason.

It certainly teaches that loyalty means nothing!

Reply #437937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont worry about him he wont be there long, he will find sturt much different to the teams he left. He wont accept playing div 2

Reply #437940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack. You can do the exact same thing. Except rather than play div 2, they play div 3. They still get exactly the same training.

You make no sense.

Reply #437942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't Sturt's Under 18 Div 2 player that got no court time during his team's grand final win just leave that Club?

Doesn't that show both players AND parents want more than 180 minutes of training per week and want to PLAY in the highest competition available regardless of the 'prestige' of winning?

Reply #437947 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Don't think Div 3 get the same training and some teams or kids do well despite the coaching and maybe good enough after all. Imagine if that was acknowledge what that team could achieve with equitable coaching. Remember Div 3 has a lot of 1st year teams playing 2nd years. Remove the strong 2nd years from the equations and you have teams with Div 2 1st year potential still over looked !! Talented kids in every club being overlooked and replaced with apparently better kids from other clubs. Some talented kids are only so because of those supporting them. Assists and defensive players are overlooked all the tiime in SA. Of course players and parents will be unhappy. Its not always crusty parents thats a problem and if certain clubs are so strong and appear to get it right , why then does that not reflect at national level when many players are from the stronger clubs. Many Div 2/3 teams are successful interstate and again overlooked. And not all teams stay together as some are broken in Div 3 to top up Div 2 but in reality the stronger team may have been the complete 1st year Div 3's together as a package.. The only way to measure these kids is to play them with and against each other and in roles.. Interesting FV new CD about to implement this for not just U10, 12, etc, but split that to year of birth. That will get their teams together that can really stay together if they are showing promise. Will be interesting if it sees a positive result from and some overlooked kids finally getting a shot. Rockets and Panthers too putting into practice more of this and results already showing in U10/12 upcoming teams. I was always told you can only be as great as those around you let you be. Thats the champion team vs team of champions theory. We can all just watch and see if all our own theories nd opioions are proven or not but I just hope more more kids play ball and more importantly love playing the game. No matter where and who with.

Reply #437948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And it has nothing to do with not having 2 div 2 teams.

Reply #437949 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Great for summer, then pushed down for winter. Thats the point. Kids everywhere living in hope and false promise when they could be a core team elsewhere with the local good players and give them an opportunity to be in that great team they have longed for. End result. Stronger comp, more opportunity, better representation at nationals for SA. Better than losing most to footy and girls. Most good for the most people has to be best option. Do the kids know if they want a chance to make TI squads they need to be 1/2. Other club kids get opportunity while they get good training (supposedly!) huh !!!!!'

Reply #437960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or go to an unorganised team, with subpar coaching. Lose by a lot and become disinterested a quit, because you can't be bothered driving all over town for trainings and not playing with your mates.

Reply #437977 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

LOL @ "propellor head" If you are going to make personal attacks on me under an "anonymous" tag, better make it better than that. I haven't heard propellor head since the sand box at kindy.

Reply #438021 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Jack Toft - bring back McGyver!!!

Reply #438117 | Report this post

Years ago

arent the nominations out today ? anyone post them here ?

Reply #438138 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:12 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754