Tasman
Years ago

Results for u/17 qualifiers?

Can anyone tell me the results for tonight's games? A live stats link would be appreciated as well!

Topic #32724 | Report this topic

Alpha  
Years ago

Info here:

http://www.basketball.net.au/index.php?id=302&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=3072&tx_ttnews[backPid]=1&cHash=322ee6499e

Reply #437894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a shame Clarke was injured. Humphries was a beast!

Reply #437895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Humphries played a lot better tonight than at U/16 Nationals

Reply #437896 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Both girl's and boy's teams did well and are off to a great start to qualification for next year with a 1-0 lead in the series.

Very healthy crowd last night too, maybe 800 or so when both teams were there near the end of the first game, just as the boys started their match.

The new State Basketball Centre is just a nice place to play and watch isn't it...?

Reply #437907 | Report this post

Tasman  
Years ago

Live stats link for tonight's games?

Reply #437916 | Report this post

T  
Years ago

Tasman,

FIBA Oceania you seek. Follow your nose via:

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?assoc=3621

Reply #437921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Although they combined for most of the turnovers, I liked the game of the 3 PG's Matt, Tom and Jayden who also combined for most of the team's assists and scored some handy points as well.

Dejan was the pick of the SG's with a nice return from 7 appempts (2 from 3 outside the arc).

Isaac was the best of the bigs, supported by Abi who was solid if a little under sized now his opponents in the 4 spot are getting bigger in comparison and Jock who seems a little out of touch from his recent injury was still effective at 7"1' or something.

Nice cameo performance by Jack in his first game making an impact when he went on.

Others did their bit as role players too, nice start for the boys.

Reply #437930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From a NZ perspective, the boys were hanging in there but outmatched for size and intensity when it mattered.

If they are going to impact on today's game they need to play Samuel and Tai together as the main bigs with Matthew as the oversized guard to create a possible miss match.

Nikau seems to be a decent PG but leading team assists with only 2 tells a story.

If Shou can get more good looks and keep up his shooting % and the others can lift their work rate they can get close.

Reply #437932 | Report this post

Cell  
Years ago

From a NZ perspective I agree with anon. You have bigs like Timmins and Wynyard that can play the 4 spot and a 6'8 kid in Freeman that could be shifted to the 2 or 3. The rebounding last night wasnt good enough and will need to be fixed

Reply #437933 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Agree @Cell, NZ boys can't go one for one with the Aus team, they have to create some kind of mismatch with their bigs and medium bigs to at least give our coaches something to react to. NZ have to take a front foot approach and be pro-active here or they will go down 3-0 IMO...

Reply #437935 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Does anyone else just get blank boxscores when they open the link?

Reply #437954 | Report this post

T  
Years ago

AK-47

No. Starts off blank but then fills with data.

http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/151/09/03/96/46elZ3NT5Y0lk/

Reply #437955 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

T,
I thought so too but still not happening for me!

Reply #437971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go to Basketball Australia, link to live stats in top right hand corner.

Reply #437978 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

Congratulations to our boys and girls on qualifying to the Worlds! Great effort last night!

Reply #438017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dejan with 29 in Game 2 WOW

Reply #438038 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

Dejan has ice in his veins! He could be the cleaner for the boomers on a few years!

Reply #438039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done to the Aussie men and women for qualification!

This series, as far as the men's team goes, was a lot closer than the results show. If NZ had played like they wanted to win in all 3 games they may have qualified, just didn't quite get off to a good start.

In the women's the Aussie were too strong, but the Kiwi men have got some talent in that team, they just didn't capitalise on some of their mismatches and they didn't believe in themselves right from the start in this series.

Aussie boys need to rely less on their outside shooting at worlds, that is for sure. Coaches will no doubt work out what NZ were able to do in games 2 and 3 to worry us and sort out the Aussie men's team before too long.

Reply #438045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congratulation Alexandra Sharp for MVP and Matthew Owies.

Who picks the MVP's anyway?

Reply #438052 | Report this post

LiB  
Years ago

They got the number and the name right but the wrong team and the last name - Freeman - definitely the best on the court and carried the Kiwi's to the W. Well done to him and his teammates, you carried yourselves proud.

Reply #438056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't wait to see these kids play off against one another at the under 18 Nationals in Canberra next April, should be a great tournament.

Reply #438110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I definitely wouldn't agree with those mvp.

both played well and are great players but we're not huge standouts imo

Reply #438116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Realistically, a disappointing result for the U/17 Boys. I am aware Kyle Clark's injury would undoubtedly have made a difference. But without naming names, a few players were way out of their depth in this series (which does not bode well considering this is only qualifying for world champs)...

It makes no sense that not even 1 player from the U/16 National Championship winning NSW Country Men (and only 1 from the runners up) were selected in the squad for these games. Why not give more players from U/16 Nationals a chance to have a go?

Surely it would seem logical to select players who are in form, obviously playing well as opposed to certain unfit players nursing injuries (again, I won't name names).

Reply #438142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonymous, they are all bottom age and would not be considered ahead of the top age boys. Already there are several bottom age players in the squad, adding further bottom age players is not the answer.

Look to the under 18 Nationals in April to find the form players, not sure which state will come out on top there but if form is any guide I would still be looking at Victoria Metro, Victoria Country, QLD South, Tasmaina and NSW Metro before NSW Country.

Reply #438143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have one question. Is this the NZ team that competed at the 2012 U16 Nationals that didnt play finals??

Is that who australia played against or is it a different group.

Reply #438144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon, I appreciate the point you make RE: bottom aged players but I just think it defies logic to play certain players who are carrying injuries/just recovered from injuries rather than play some of the talent I saw at U/16 Nationals. I am not aligned to any team myself myself but some of the talent in the winning NSW Country team was outstanding and I think certain players from that team could have done a better job in this series than some of the players in the squad. Does that not mean that these kids basically have no chance of getting a look in to play in the U/17 team at all given that coach would likely stick with the same squad to take to Worlds?

In regards to U/18 Nats I think Vic Met, Vic Country and QLD South would have to start favourites - however both NSW teams will be stronger than 2 years ago, Country in particular, with the talent from U/16's moving up.

Reply #438146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Worlds are almost 12 months away, so changes are likely and any kid who steps up in that time would be looked at I would imagine. The current squad of 16 is very good and all players have gone through several camps but they don't generally play as a team often.

Appeared a couple were under done for this series but as a whole the squad is very talented you will find. Coaches will want to look at all of them again several times before final selections for Dubai 2014.

Reply #438148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon, I appreciate the point you make RE: bottom aged players but I just think it defies logic to play certain players who are carrying injuries/just recovered from injuries rather than play some of the talent I saw at U/16 Nationals. I am not aligned to any team myself myself but some of the talent in the winning NSW Country team was outstanding and I think certain players from that team could have done a better job in this series than some of the players in the squad. Does that not mean that these kids basically have no chance of getting a look in to play in the U/17 team at all given that coach would likely stick with the same squad to take to Worlds?

In regards to U/18 Nats I think Vic Met, Vic Country and QLD South would have to start favourites - however both NSW teams will be stronger than 2 years ago, Country in particular, with the talent from U/16's moving up.

Reply #438149 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

I would not debate much about the result since I was under the impression during the third game that Watkins did not want to move away from his strategy (which obviously was not working), in translation - he lost the game. He admitted it himself in his interview - he wanted a few players to step up and they failed. I guess some of them will have to look back and reflect how to improve themselves and play better, so this last game would be a good lesson for them and the benchmark to move forward. No doubt these are all talented kids and I doubt that there are other 12 more capable than these in the country but some will have to work harder to keep the spot. I would not be surprised if 5 of them do not come back if they keep the same level, simply not good enough.

Reply #438155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spot on @Alpha, you can bet that the coaches were looking at some players to guage their response to adversity and with the luxury of a dead rubber in game 3, why not throw them into the deep end and test the water?

One ot two will always put their hand up and another one or two might not cope with it, but in the end we should be sure that the best possible team will be selected next year.

Reply #438160 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

There isn't one player helping Dejan out he has to do it all himself . He is the best in the age group though so it can be done

Reply #438200 | Report this post

Anon :)  
Years ago

This team has got to go through the bigs. They did in game 1 and they won convincingly. Played a perimeter game in games 2 and 3 and that didnt play nearly as well. As good as some of you think Dejan is, he's not the best in this team. The best players in this squad are your bigs Humphries and Akintola, there's no denying it. Australia's only way of competing in Worlds is to go through them

Reply #438203 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Dejan is the best, he had no support. If it wasn't for him they wouldn't of qualified , it's that simple

Reply #438206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Previous results at worlds and most tournaments to be honest, show that the teams which end up playing off for medals are the teams that play as a team first, not as individuals.

The best teams always establish an inside game if they have one and then the otside or perimeter game supports the inside game which creates the open shots.

Rely on one player to shoot high percent shots every game at your own peril. When that player is off or scouted out of the game but still keeps shooting it he or she lets the team down and they lose, no matter who the player is.

This Aus men's team will do well, when they decide to play as a team and do the instinctive thing for each other.

Until they decide their team mates are just as important as the individual they may not reach their potential, but they have shown they can play great team basketball in the two series so far, December 2012 and now in September 2013.

What the team needs is what all national teams need, to play together more often.

Reply #438219 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

Nicely said Anon... I am a big Dejan's fan, like his scoring prowess, but if this team really wants to succeed in the Worlds, they need to execute transition and inside game far better. They need to get their bigs going, and they need more than 2 bigs. Having a good shooter (Dejan, Kyle) on the court will be an added bonus but not the first choice.

And correct they need to play more often together in order to gel.

Reply #438245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't worry, I expect they have some bigs that can come into the team if needed. Will need them for sure.

The NZ team also had some quality bigs across their team and I would think they have a bright future too.

Such a shame both teams can't qualify because from what we have seen the NZ boys in particular are not far away from the standard required at international level, their sporting body just needs to back them financially and put some $$ into the sport over there.

Reply #438247 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:51 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754