Sydney 1064

Topic #32847 | Report this topic

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Where did you get these figures?

Reply #439909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If true, not good. As I said in that other thread NBL teams should keep this stuff under wraps so as not to scare off potential sponsors.

Reply #439912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Embarrassing figures.... Really puts perspective on the sport.

Reply #439914 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Melbourne not even close to selling out games by membership like people have said.

Reply #439915 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Sydney is terrible

Reply #439916 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

yet NZ has no trouble getting sponsorship or filling games.

Reply #439917 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

If true, Sydneys is embarrasing given their market size.

Wollongong seems about right. They might have terrific community support which keeps them going year after year, and love the battler underdog tag, but they dont have a strong fan base that actually show up to games.

Melbourne and NZ seem a bit low. Thought there would be more at Cairns and Townsville, but not surprised either.

Just shows how much work still needs to be done across the league!

Reply #439918 | Report this post

David97  
Years ago

To put Cairns' in perspective, that's 1 in 100 residents is a member, way ahead of anyone else.

Reply #439938 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Thats a fair point. Taipans are well supported, with consideration to thier population. I thought there would be more only cos their attendances are always very solid at around the 4000 mark.

Reply #439945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paulo seems to think the Tigers will eventually possibly maybe sell out some time so he must be right based on all his theories.
Memberships aren't the be all and end all of anything. Kings have one of the higher crowd attendances in the NBL. Yet few members. Why dont the experts look at how many CORPS each club has. They are the ones that ultimately pay the bills.

Reply #439948 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Ok, that's pretty dire. Someone asked if the Wildcats were double the season ticket holders of anyone else and I said no way... but turns out we're only a smidgen off being triple the next contender.

More than Adelaide, Townsville, Cairns, Sydney and Wollongong combined... Going to love here the plans of the new NBL admin to pick up the situation here.

@Mystro,

By the by, do the Breakers have big processing fees on their single-game tickets?

Reply #439949 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

@'948
Yes & no

That Wildcats member base brings in 7,000 people at an average $500/membership. That's a membership income of $3.5m.

You can pay for a lot on the back of a strong member base. Corporate hospitality counts for a lot as well but it should never be the only viable plank of your financials.

Reply #439953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nor should memberships. Av $500 per season member ship is exorbitant. of course the overheads are too.

Reply #439954 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Memberships are vital, as are using your members as recruiters as Perth has done very well.

Reply #439955 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I wouldn't put odds on any of the other corporate books of the other clubs being any fuller than Perth's either...

Reply #439960 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Memberships pay the bills too, not just corporate boxes, as suggested above.

Reply #439962 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

The bloke I sit next to at Wildcats games says his boss was the court sweeper sponsor last season and that was $50k and includes court side seats to 3 games during season... Noticed there was no sponsor currently at wildcats games for the court sweeper so there is some extra monies to be made but on a serious note...

When is NBL getting a new major sponsor (as much as I don't like Mitsubishi, I felt Mitsubishi challenge meant something) hopefully whoever it is can bring some prestige to the league again

Reply #439963 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

(if true) for 50k I'd want courtside seats to every game, not just 3.

Cairns, Townsville & Wollongong numbers are pretty good considering the cities population.

Sydney and New Zealand are poor considering their market size AND the fact that the Breakers have won 3 straight championships. You'd think there'd be some more band wagon jumpers.

People aren't buying because either it's too expensive or fans can't see the value in a membership package.

Reply #439968 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Re: League naming sponsor. It won't happen until next season. Would be too hard and expensive to re-brand everything now that the season has already started.

Reply #439969 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Clubs who had thousands of empty seats at games need to reduce their membership prices, no doubt. Melbourne have done that for their Hisense memberships and had great success.

What the low membership numbers indicate for me is the low level of genuine passion for the teams. That's shown by the fact some venues need courtside announcers constantly revving up the crowd.

I think creating that passion for the team is one of the biggest challenges for the NBL and its clubs. Once someone is on-board in that way they tend to stick through thick and thin.

The NBL wont survive if it exists purely as an entertainment option.

The Breakers are one of the hottest tickets in Auckland but if these numbers are accurate and up to date it indicates they havent yet been able to convert the casual fan into a committed one (although Im sure I read an article last year saying NZ had around 3000?).

Reply #439970 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Buying a membership isn't really NZ culture

When it comes to sporting events, most kiwis will just buy individual games as they go.

Aucklanders are notorious for this..the Blues and Warriors have equally dissappointing member numbers

Reply #439974 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

We are a basketball household but not members due to other commitments - but we will buy several platinum tickets and eat in Apollo over the season - so whilst not members we do our bit. How about comparing members to average attendance figures?

Reply #439976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Proof required....

Reply #439979 | Report this post

Aaron  
Years ago

Anons don't need proof on here.

Reply #439983 | Report this post

Rashad  
Years ago

Once the deal is up with channel 10/one hd i think alot will change. e.g. sponsors, game time etc. Not sure how long there is left on it though...

Reply #439988 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

@ Nat

Yeah seems real steep to me as well but is that $50k a league wide standardized figure or is it Perth showing its massiveness?

I'd be interested to know what a community based club like Wollongong charge for sponsorship

Reply #439993 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Nathan, that was me that wondered if Perth was more than double all the other clubs. Vlahov and co are obviously doing something right over in the West. You'd like to think that the other clubs were learning from Perth, but the above figures don't appear to back that up.

I was finally in a position to buy season tickets for the 36ers this season and I was okay with $375 for Gold membership, as I'm getting nearly $10 off per game. However, a mate of mine who is certainly earning well above the average wage decided it was too expensive.

We are both pretty hardcore basketball fans though, so it is not good that in the end I couldn't convince him to commit.

I think to get him over the line, there'd need to be a significant improvement in the performance of the team. Hopefully, Joey can coax a good season out of his team this season and then a few more Adelaide fans might come out of the woodwork. Its hard when your teams have been bad to horrible for an entire decade though!

Reply #439999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

beantown that is cheap for a membership in perth its 439 for silver and over 500 for a gold membership

Reply #440004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rashad, deal with Ten ends after next season.

Reply #440009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Afaik the deal with 10 was broken once the NBl became a new identity.

Reply #440028 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think it was transferred.

Reply #440031 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I'd like to think we got some mileage out of offering to count the cost of people's single-game-tickets against the cost of their memberships after the Adelaide game, so hopefully we see some movement on that 7,028 soon.

Well, now that we've managed to get over the 36ers (very tricky effort), we have 1 home game, 3 away games coming up, and I would expect/hope to get each except for New Zealand away. That would be a very tidy October effort.

So hopefully, we'll go into the Wk 4 clash against Wollongong at home with hype, a 4:1 record and some new memberships and get our crowd back on last year's track. I'm pretty paranoid we'll have our first sub-10k Perth Arena crowd against Sydney this weekend.

Reply #440086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why are you paranoid. Relax, it's not life and death. The fact is they are charging a lot and the first season novelty of the new stadium is gone.

Going by the membership income if the crowds go down they can afford to lower the prices for next season.

Reply #440111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nathan's obsessed. When does counting single seats against anything count? So many Perth WAnkers.

Reply #440115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

but then 36ers membership is low because they just had to hold onto marty clark. id be disenchanted also is I had 3 years of watching that crap with the coach turning around after 60 odd games and stating that the team is now starting to play well. yeah right dude, 2 home wins and 4 away losses!

but the droves will return.

nz have a monopoly all to themselves. u either support the breakers or fly over the ditch

Reply #440116 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Oh my god, we're discussing things on a forum, we're obsessed!

Reply #440118 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"When does counting single seats against anything count? "

What does that mean?

Reply #440122 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Anon, yeah I thought it was a reasonable price. Getting Lightning games thrown in as part of the deal is good too. The point I was making is that, from my perspective at least, its the product on the court at the 36ers that's been the big problem, rather than the cost of tickets.

Unfortunately, the Sixers are now known as losers in Adelaide and until they start to be successful on the court again, its going to be difficult to generate memberships.

Once they brought in Joey and retooled the team, I was willing to jump onboard, but I think others like my mate will wait until they see a winning season again first - and fair enough too after so many disappointing seasons.

Reply #440144 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Anon, I think what Nathan meant was that the Cats fans who bought single game tickets last weekend can deduct that cost from the price of a season ticket, hopefully encouraging a few more to commit. Seems like a good idea to me - try before you buy!

Reply #440145 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

^ Yeah, that's exactly what the offer was, Beantown. If you bought a ticket to the game against Adelaide, they had a stall set up where you could buy a membership after the game and would put the value of the ticket towards your membership.

I.e., you bought a Silver ticket at $60, think "gee, this basketball caper is a bit of alright, I'd like some more", buy a Silver Membership at ... I think it's $429, then they deduct the $60 you paid for the ticket away from the membership. So you get on board for $369.

No difference in cost for the club or patron and you get a try-before-you-buy.

Reply #440149 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

A very good idea from the Wildcats. I know one person that's seriously considering a membership after going to his first game at the Arena and utilising this offer. And he's more of an NBA fan than an NBL fan too.

Reply #440150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still $28/game? I thought with a membership the point was to save per game. Silver is $60??? What are you guys smoking over in the west.

Reply #440157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If silver is $60 do you have further lower tiers? And even if so I imagine those are high. I don't think you can sustain those prices in the long run.

Reply #440158 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

There are Bronze @ $40, and a few areas of Nickel at $20, which are single-game only, they don't have a nickel membership category. Which is a good trick to make sure cheapo tickets are available to pad out the numbers. But yeah, Silver is $60, Gold $90, Plat $110, courtside $290.

These (insane) prices are why I'm worried about the crowds, would be bad for club and league if they collapsed.

Reply #440182 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Yeah I'm a gold member at the wildcats and they cost me $45/seat per game and I have 2 seats so that is $90 so basically I'm still paying the $90 but I get a free seat as opposed to paying $180/game on a game by game if I wasn't a member.

Gee that is high

Reply #440262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Things cost more in the west due to mining money.

Reply #440266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL @ having a nickel category

Reply #440278 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:43 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754