Isaac
Years ago

NBL replaces POTW with trio of mentions

The NBL has announced it will do away with Player of the Week awards as done in the past, and instead have a league legend select three "Bring It" moments. The announcement and maiden selections by Cal Bruton, written up in detail, are here.

The selections this week are Ennis' debut with 25 points for the win over Adelaide, Wilson's 27 off the bench to put the Taipans over the Crocs on the road, and Harvey's 19 also off the bench to carry the Kings home against the Tigers. Three worthy picks, at least.

Change for change sake or a good idea? Have to admit that I do wonder if they're going to drive everyone nuts with overuse of "Bring It", but acknowledging past names of the game is always worth doing. They could also do that by getting all the historical records (league and team) out of the PDFed media guide and into HTML.

Have to admit that I'm going to miss all those honourable mentions...

Anyway, Player of the Month awards will remain, but be voted on by a select committee, to be announced. Previously this was voted on by media (and others?) - I even got a vote each month, though whether they secretly discarded it, I'll never know...

Would this take it in-line with the NBA? They have East and West monthly awards, but I don't think they have weekly awards? They also have monthly rookie awards which might not work as well in the NBL?

Topic #32861 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has the new media guide even come out yet?

It's all fun.

Reply #440166 | Report this post

Money Traveler  
Years ago

If you're media, you probably know. If you're not, does it matter?

I like the new format of weekly standouts, in place of the best 35 players being mentioned.

Reply #440167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The last few years the NBL have made the media guide public. The comprehensive stats in it are much better than their website.

Reply #440171 | Report this post

Michael D  
Years ago

Think the 'top three' format has potential, but it should be expanded on. Instead of doing it in an article, get the NBL legend to narrate a video showing the highlights of these three players from the weekend. Put it on YouTube, Facebook etc every Monday, take the league's big plays out to a wider audience.

Also, instead of picking three guys and leaving it at that, get fans to vote on the three players so there is one eventual winner. You can use Facebook and Twitter to do this, engage with social media and build the profile of the league's best players.

Reply #440172 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I like this better than last year's 'anyone that scored more than 10 points special mentions' list.

Reply #440174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The change doesn't particularly bother me, but I will already critique the selections by saying I thought Johnson from Adelaide had close to the best individual performance of the weekend.

Reply #440176 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Hendo: Last year scoring more than 10 points would put you in the running for the scoring title.

Reply #440178 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I don't like it. Well, so far it's pretty uninspiring. I'm hoping it becomes more than talking about the leading scorer on the winning teams.

Reply #440179 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

situation, do you have any other candidates for top 3 in round 1....or just having a whinge?

Reply #440181 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I'm not whinging. I'm just saying I don't like the idea, and that it seems to be essentially the same thing as POTW. The third line of the article leaves it open to discuss inspirational moments, rather than top scorers and I hope they do go in to that detail.

Was that explanation satisfactory, skull?

Reply #440191 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Well, it saves them from the weekly bitch-fest about whose favourite player didn't get picked.

Reply #440192 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

I agree with The Situation - I hope to see guys get mentioned who get triple doubles, or 20 boards, or 15 assists, or 10 steals, etc.

Reply #440198 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Nathan, but does it? We're coming from past announcements were loads of players were mentioned and we all still found fault!

Reply #440202 | Report this post

Woody Venkat  
Years ago

Jamar Wilson was insanely good. Love his game seriously looks fitter than he has in 3 years. He is def an MVP candidate for me.

Reply #440241 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

Could have it into 4 categories dunk , block , assist/ pass and team play of the week perhaps. ( I would have voted Ennis' block on Ervin d better than his up and under lay up)

Personally I struggled with some of the selection on POTW in the past as well as the nomination of the 20% of the league for the award.

Reply #440245 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

My issue is why only 3 ?

I'd have liked top 5 and include DJ and maybe Rotnei Clarke or Tom Abercrombie

I love the idea of YouTube and Facebook/twitter interaction with this and a poll.

I think if you use highlight packages or discuss just how brilliant someone like Jamar Wilson was on an NBL.tv game then it encourages NBL.tv packages to be purchased to see it and that is a good thing.

Reply #440267 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

what Muzz Buzz said

i thought the 'plays of the week' Carfino used to do was a good watch.

Reply #440291 | Report this post

MANAGER  
Years ago

this is just stupid by the NBL.

Another stuff up they did.

Reply #440421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

skull agreed as Fox production was way better than Ten/One.

This trio of memories is gay. Bring back a proper POTW award.

Reply #440422 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:16 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754