Isaac
Years ago

Crocs vs Breakers, Oct 18

Crocs $2.95, Breakers $1.40. Line is -5.5 NZB.

Anyone think Townsville have a serious chance?

Topic #32875 | Report this topic

skull  
Years ago

no....but i hope they beat up on them for saturdays game!

Reply #440382 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

There's a chance. Breakers might be getting a smidgen too much credit at the moment for pummeling a shattered Wollongong at home, whilst putting 90+ points on Cairns is not an easy thing. So Townsville is in this with a shot - I would put my dough on NZ, of course, but they could get it done.

Reply #440385 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I would expect NZ to get this one but at home the crocs are a sneaky chance

Reply #440389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ will take this one comfortably but I think the Taipans will get em on the Saturday night.

Reply #440394 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Was fascinated to see the bookies have Cairns as favourites for Sunday.

If Cairns continues form, and Townsville bring it together just a smidgen more, I think all teams will consider picking up 1W from a sunshine swing to be a successful weekend.

Reply #440398 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"Breakers might be getting a smidgen too much credit at the moment for pummeling a shattered Wollongong at home"

being the 3 time champions with a pretty stable roster laden with talent has nothing to do with it?

Reply #440402 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

^ Ehh, a bit. But was referring to that game specifically.

Reply #440404 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

@Nathan, I cant see any way Cairns will lose on Sunday.

Reply #440406 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I expect NZ to win both. By 10 in the first and 4 against Cairns.

Reply #440408 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I can, they are playing the Breakers - close games were their stock in trade last year. I would be tipping Breakers over Crocs, then Taipans over Breakers though.

Reply #440410 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

@Mystro, nice to see I'm not the only one-eyed gent around here.

Reply #440411 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Absolutely Nathan, the team has earned my faith over the last 3 seasons by winning games they had no place winning as well as having an incredible road record.
Cairns will be tough (not that Townsville won't be either) but the Breakers bench could beat Townsville IMO so I see NZ's bench depth getting them over the line against the Taipans.

Reply #440413 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Breakers v Taipans is clearly match of the round. I don't see many teams sweeping the sunshine swing but if any team can it's NZ so I will go NZ by 12 against the crocs and by 3 against Cairns

Reply #440416 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

It will be a great match whichever way it ends up. My gut feel this year is that there are more teams this year that you can rely on to hold serve on home court, and I think Cairns are one of them (also Adelaide).

Reply #440418 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I think (at this stage) Cairns will be actually tougher at home than Adelaide, Cairns supporters tend not to boo their own team.

Reply #440426 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I noticed Michael di Fabrizio @ Hoopology actually tipped Cairns as taking 1st this year!

Reply #440450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mystro, its hard not to boo a team run by Marty Clarke, those days are done. Breakers are good, but they are not great this season. Look forward to watching them fail come finals time. No Penney, no Jackson, and Cj is as wide as he is tall these days. Good to see the Wildcats and the Breakers come back to the pack a bit. Taipans will smash the Breakers, but anyone could beat the Crocs, so good part of a multi there.

Reply #440476 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I think Townsville have a good chance this game and I think it's because of one man...

Steven Markovic was ineffective to pathetic last week and he is a proud man and want to come out fired up this week so I expect him to control this game and if the imports stay out of foul trouble that will help heaps.

Got to be excited any time Blanchard comes up against Abercrombie in a game.

If breakers win then I think Chief Pledgehammer will be too big and strong and dominant.

Also I think Cairns will win by 12+ on Sunday and this will give everyone an eye opener as to how tough the Sunshine swing still is.

Last year didn't New Zealand beat both Townsville and Cairns in overtime away last year or were they just super close games until the final couple of plays

Reply #440490 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Boti Nagy just put up his rankings and I will present his top 3 without comment:

1 Cairns
2 New Zealand
3 Perth

Reply #440491 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Cairns do look good I'll give them that but so did the Hawks last season.

Reply #440494 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Markovic was pathetic last week. Most of his decent looking boxscore came after the game was over. He needs to lose some goddamn weight and look to push the tempo.

It's a home game for Townsville but their crowd and game night presentation will be so poor that it's hardly an advantage. Might be lucky and catch NZ napping if they have spent all their time this week preparing for Cairns instead.

I'm worried about Shawn Dennis' game plan for the Crocs. He wants to push the pace of the game up and get up lots of shots, but to me every other team in the league is better at playing in a high-pace game. All he is doing is playing into the oppositions' hands. We pushed the pace up last week and it just allowed Jamar Wilson to dominate.

Reply #440502 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Having said that $2.95 is a hell of a good price for a team at home that in its second game with a new coach and large roster turnover we really don't know all that much about.

Reply #440503 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

@Nathan...is that the order Boti had them listed to finish?

Reply #440506 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

@Tornado: no it's just his weekly "power" rankings.

Reply #440507 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Mick, Dean Vickerman has said that the Breakers will prepare for Cairns only after the Townsville game is over.
It has worked in the past for the team so he will be following that tradition from Lemmanis

Reply #440508 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

@Mystro,

In Wollongong's defence, they would have continued to look good if they hadn't lost both starting guards in the one game. Could have been a much more exciting season last year if that hadn't happened. So I wouldn't necessarily use Wollongong as a example for why Cairns might not continue their form.

I do remember reading that Joey Wright said that he thought Cairns would be the team to beat this year, though I can not recall where I read it.

Reply #440512 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Poor Crocs, more discussion of Taipans than Crocs in here.

Reply #440513 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Just like there was more Taipans' fans than Crocs' at The Swamp last Saturday night?

Reply #440515 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

^ I really hope that's not true

Reply #440518 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

I was there, Nathan. Mick was being facetious, but Taips fans came in their hundreds. Probably about 400 altogether

Reply #440525 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Must have been great for the atmosphere

Reply #440529 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

It was flat out disheartening. So much of the crowd consisted of middle-aged to older people because they're the only ones who care about the team. The younger people couldn't care less. Such a shame. On the whole, those who live in Townsville aren't scraping the bottom of the barrel--there is so much going on up here but the kids (of which it's incredible how many have iphones, nice clothes, shoes, cars etc.) Don't want to spend $10 on a ticket to a night out. They'd rather spend $10 per shot any one of the clubs up here.

Townsville as a populous is so segmented--people are either working their asses off, partying or studying. You have people from all over the country living here for work, uni students again from all over the country. It took me by surprise just how much of an industry and lifestyle influence the university is up here. The wealth demographic is also pretty spread. As I said, on the whole Townsvillians are well-off, but you can get the extremely rich to extremely poor. Fun fact, Townsville is the steroid capital of the world, so a mate told me the other day.

The crocs really needs to look at targeting young people. I remember they released snapbacks as merchandise a little while ago, but apart from that, nothing. You can't exactly expect kids to fall in love with the crocs because they sold snapbacks as merch one time. To me, it's almost too late once they're in their twenties, need to get to them at a younger age. I Know they do the odd school/community visit, but clearly more effort needs to be made. They have proven before with I think sixty odd games sold out consecutively a few years back that the city cares about basketball. The junior basketball comps are absolutely packed with kids and adults alike, regardless of how poorly run Townsville Basketball is. It's crazy how much they are underachieving as a business.

Reply #440538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hate to admit it, but you are so right!

killing me...

Reply #440555 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

If the NBL jersey's looked half as cool as the NBA jersey's they'd be winning.

Reply #440597 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah the key for the crocs is getting young people involved again. Young people set trends. Theyre supposed to be the early adopters.

On a friday or saturday night they need to get the vast swathes of young morons to the game before they hit the clib strip.

The crowd is indeed very geriatric, and while you have to take your hat off to the old codgers, it makes for terrible atmosphere. I had one old lady tell me to keep it down once last season for cheering...

Reply #440599 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Haha wow that's terrible. What were you saying to get her so ticked off?

Reply #440605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3000 at the game and 400 were from Cairns? RIP T'Ville. Annoying how there is always one team each season to pull down the average league attendance.

Reply #440606 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

It's kinda funny because its not exactly an old codger's sort of sport, going by the stereotypes. So getting the geriatrics but not the youth is an odd one.

Reply #440610 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I wasnt even doing anything untoward. Just clapping and cheering after a big play etc. Unfortunately that's the way it is now in Townsville. Ten years ago it was the best NBL venue in the country bar none. Such a sad fall from grace.

Reply #440612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey DJ Rod - Why don't the Crocs take a play from Boguts book and give free tickets to a group of 20-40 students with a few free slabs and get them to jump and down and chant abuse for 2 hours before they head to the pub/club on a Saturday night?

Reply #440620 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

They were called the Green Machine - too many complaints from people sitting near them that they were too loud, too much swearing, used too many loud instruments and ended up getting banned by the management at the entertainment centre.

Everyone wanted them, but no one wanted them sitting near them!

They were all basketball players too, so they knew the game and the opposition players well enough for their chants to be funny and got the crowd into it with them at the right times.

We are starting our schools program next week officially too. We have done a few school holidays camps and school clinics, but next week is the first one we are doing as part of the program in conjunction with Townsville Basketball.

Crocs by 5 tonight too ;)

Reply #440626 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Id love to sit near them rod.

Remember when the whole crowd used to act like those guys?

That's what a home court advantage is.

Reply #440644 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

NZ off to the races, Abercrombie super aggressive off the bat.

Reply #440740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crocs up 22-21 at Qtr time.

Reply #440744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crowd doesn't look too flash.

Reply #440745 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Pledger looking active for NZ. Crocs sticking with NZ. Both teams pushing the ball

Reply #440746 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Blanchfield showing his skills off. A lot to like about his offensive game.

Reply #440748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers up 49-47 at H/T thanks to a Johnson 3 from way beyond mid-court at the buzzer.

Reply #440750 | Report this post

Vladimir Putin  
Years ago

No crowd, it's time to hang up the shoes....... Was great fun while it lasted.

Reply #440753 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Crocs would be up by ten if all the fouls & and 1s were called instead of all the no whistles. They are just playing the game the right way ten times more than NZ and are getting no love from the refs.

NZ help defender late to rotate onto a conklin or blanchfield drive? Hammer them and if they make it they make it, if they miss you get a fast break.

This new officiating is as bad as the old book. It only works for you if youre Perth or NZ.

Reply #440754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lazy breakers pissing this one away

Reply #440758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A bit tired of Vukona's tough guy stuff.

Reply #440760 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Vukona leaves nothing on the floor. Id love to have him on my team.

Reply #440762 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

Watch the perth game!

Reply #440763 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

poor effort breakers- very disappointing.

Reply #440764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crocs win by 10.

Reply #440765 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Great performance by the Crocs. Turnovers killed it for NZ, to sloppy with the ball and couldn't find their range outside the arc to peg it back.

NZ with so many travel turnovers and failing to convert gimme's where the Crocs were finding what they wanted offensively.

Shame their weren't more Crocs supporters there

Reply #440766 | Report this post

Northern Brew  
Years ago

Cmon Crocs supporters get behind this team! They work hard and they just beat the 3x defending champions. Hopefully this gives the community a little boost to attend the next game.

Reply #440767 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Disappointing crowd ;(

Reply #440768 | Report this post

Vladimir Putin  
Years ago

When a horse is dead,,, don't flog it anymore.

Reply #440771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very disappointing crowd from the looks of it on nbl.tv.

Great performance from the Crocs though. I thought they played better than the scoreline suggested, even if it ended up as a double figure victory.

Markovic is starting to find his feet after a poor showing last week. Looked great running the show. He's so great at finding the roller/popper on the pick and pop or roll. It's just a shame that in Australia they're aren't many great finishers off the receiving end who can hit the fifteen footer or dive hard and catch it in the mix and then finish. Hopefully he can find a groove with Conkline. Would be good to see Blanchfield in more pick and roll scenarios, as a ball handler OR a screener. Ditto for Pace. Both can handle the ball AND finish. It would be great if Dennis could take advantage of their versatility.

Great to see us dominate an opponent in the assist category though. It shows we are getting shots in the flow of an offense, while keeping them out of the flow of theirs'... Something we haven't done for YEARS.

Reply #440772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CROWD 2905!!!! Terrible!!

Reply #440783 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I dont think the Crocs have EVER had less than 3k people. Very poor showing.

Maybe getting the win over the defending champs will entice a few fence sitters?

They organization is not without fault here though. There is a lot more they can do to engage fans.

Reply #440796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what do you suggest?

lowest crowd in history

serious question btw!

Reply #440873 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Off the top of my head there are a few ideas.

1. If you know a game isnt going to get close to a sellout, give away a bunch of tickets to underprivileged people or high school kids.

2. Have a better relationship with the media. Don't treat them with contempt and spoonfeed them multiple stories every day.

3. Have a 2 for 1 night for tix in a certain section to get people along.

4. Free upgrades to better seats if they dont get filled. Its bad to see all the empty seats in the lower sections. Would be very easy to facilitate now tix are digitized.

5. better deals for students. Tap into the massive student population at jcu and give them a shuttle bus.

6. Make the game night experience less cringe worthy

7. better deals for employees at major sponsor companies. All the kids that work at maccas should get half price tickets.

8. Massive armed forces population. They get in for half price too.

9. Keep winning

Reply #440888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I still don't get how NZ lost this one.

Reply #441070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most of your ideas are actually pretty good. I don't get the media one tho. Why would producing numerous media items be a bad thing when you are trying to market a team and a league? It sounds like you have some connection there that you aren't telling us.

Reply #441104 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Haha sorry that was my bad phrasing. I meant dont treat them with contempt...and ALSO make sure you spoonfeed them multiple stories.

Reply #441171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers looked really suspect against the Crocs yet then turn it up the next night against better opposition. Boggles the mind.

Reply #441190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aha!

Reply #441271 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:23 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754