Isaac
Years ago

The NBL is failing hard at YouTube

What's it going to take to get some highlights up, NBL? You are missing an easy opportunity which is very much within your control. I've said it before and I'm going to say it again and hope you do something.

This is the NBL's YouTube page. Go and have a look and then come back.

Top item on that page is from Oct 2012. The Game Highlights section's most recent video is Nov 2011. The Plays of the Week are slightly older. The most Recent Uploads section is Blitz interviews and nothing since the season actually started.

These five plays (and more) happened last round in the NBL, and were uploaded by AndTheFoul. I have just watched it five times in a row.

Those Ennis dunks at the least are the easiest and cheapest advertising the NBL has.

The league absolutely needs to be putting up a top 5-10 video after each round, a highlights video after each game and preferably an individual video for each major dunk or incident of note. NBL, if you don't have the staff/resources, just pay ATF or anyone else to do it with your branding. Put it on YouTube, throw it all over Twitter and Facebook, and make sure people are seeing it.

And every club should be doing the same for themselves. Crocs used to do it, but haven't this season. Find a kid, give them access to Perform footage. Trade them tickets for helping out. Double-check their selection, then get it out there.

Topic #32919 | Report this topic

A  
Years ago

This blows my mind Isaac, I just don't understand why they aren't doing anything, I would love to get an answer from the NBL why it's not happening.

Reply #441298 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Issac i agree 100%, NBL should pay ATF and become an internet partner same as ESPN/NBA.

Reply #441299 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

How or why the NBL isnt marketing like this is beyond me.

Quick fire, exciting highlights are the perfect hook for social media or snap shot coverage on TV.

Reply #441304 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

It's pathetic. Also their website is next to useless if you are on a mobile or tablet. They have stepped up their wordcount in terms of new content but there is no video to be found. This is 2013.

Reply #441305 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think you'll find there is a good reason for it, linked with the de-merger. It's not that they don't want to. Hopefully some progress coming.

Reply #441306 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

So, red tape is getting in the way is it...?

We will wait patiently and in the time being enjoy what little we can!

Reply #441307 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Maybe they'll sort it out just in time for the finals when AFL and NRL take the 3 paragraphs in every paper away from the NBL, and have their online platforms circulating like wild fire.

Reply #441311 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Once again the Wildcats showing the league how it's done:

http://www.youtube.com/user/perthwildcats82

Game Highlights, Press Conferences, Funny Clips, and the one I am most impressed with from this season : Rapid Replays, these are uploaded DURING the game, very NBA-esque.

Reply #441312 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

They're leaving it up to the teams, which is not the way it should be.

To their credit, though, WildcatsTV account on youtube had replays (not the best quality but something at least) of the plays up within minutes!

Reply #441314 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

It's weird, I click on their #BringIt moment segment, and it links to their Youtube page, but when I go to more videos, that video isn't listed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSybEylQM3E

Reply #441316 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Please Paul, enough with the same excuses, over and over again. Simple bloody highlights mate, not rocket science involving contracts. Get the NBL to hire my 15 year old next door neighbour, he is a guru with these things and if I gave him $50 bucks he would come up with something that would blow your mind.

Reply #441319 | Report this post

Michael D  
Years ago

Could not agree more Isaac, league definitely needs to lift its game when it comes to video content!

Reply #441321 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I don't know how you can blame the de-merger when this sort of stuff wasn't done under BA's control anyway. It's not like the NBL is stealing BA's intellectual property.

Reply #441323 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

paul, can you hint at more? Are they not legally allowed to use Perform/game footage?

If they don't have staff to do it, pay a contractor. That's no excuse. If teams can (legally?) do it, why can't the league?

I checked the other day and the "live stats problem fixed by round 2" message had changed to "fixed by round 3" - that website and its integration with stats has just got worse by the year. So much focus on everything but the detail everyone wants.

Like any sane person, I find the "Make ATF the NBL CEO!!1!" stuff silly, but here's an easy case where Nat is already doing it, doing it well enough and could be paid to do it with full NBL branding in place of ATF's. And alternatively, it's an easy thing to outsource to any hopeful with a computer and internet access.

Reply #441324 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Meanwhile, the 36ers are putting effort into Wayback Wednesday, Game On with Gibbo and whatever else, but no actual game highlights of the current season. Historical context and life off court are great, don't get me wrong, but surely the priority is showing your actual, current product to fans and potential fans?

Reply #441328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL is run by old men with no idea of current marketing trends or methods. Hire a young smart kid with a media and basketball passion and let him loose !!

Reply #441334 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

There's nothing I have wanted more than the NBL to market themselves right, and social media is a great one for basketball. The NBL have a new digital manager who is chomping at the bit to make this happen, it's just going to take a little time because of unfortunate factors.

As they have said all along, the big improvements will start next season, we should treat anything this year as a bonus, even though it is easy to impatient when this stuff seems so simple, I know I am.

Reply #441337 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I'm all for understanding that things won't be perfect straight away Paul, but you have to agree that there's plenty that CAN be done now, if not video due to some stupid legal technicality, then other stuff to get the brand out there and make the most of it... We've had to rely on a talk-back hack to get some publicity out there due to the NBL having to defend itself... and really, it hasn't been the NBL, it's been the Tigers being proactive... it's all well and good for the NBL to tweet or facebook "we're under attack, come to games and prove them wrong!" but what are they doing to get more people to games? They should be jumping on this bit of out of the ordinary publicity and getting more NBL personalities out there talking up the NBL in other cities...

Being in Sydney I had no idea who Kevin Bartlett was (still don't really) but there are radio and tv people up here with exactly the same mentality that need to be educated as well, but I haven't seen or heard anything happening up here...

Reply #441342 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sounds like Perform could be to blame for the inaction here. Or the NBL aren't making enough demands to get things the way they should be.

Reply #441344 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You wont get any argument from me.

Reply #441345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PAUL, saying there is a new guys champing at the bit is all well and good but dont try to tell us we have to wait till NEXT YEAR.What unfortunate factors are there ?? Where is the TV advertising ?? Where is the newpapaer adverts ?? why is the excuse ALWAYS "wait till next year" ?? STop making excuses for people with NO VISION !!

Reply #441351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I saw the Crocs did a top 5 from the last game on their facebook page.

Reply #441359 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

This article touches on the sort of issue that's at play here:

http://botinagy.com/blog/nbl-site-not-nbls-fault/

Reply #441404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul, what a disgraceful situation. Surely there are KPI's for this Perfomr mob to meet under the contract and if they dont meet them then the contract can be made void. If not it just shows how bad BA is at managing anything. You NEVER give up full control of anything any decent manager knows that.
Having said that the web site is only ONE media portal so what is the new NBL doing to gain exposure with other means it CAN control, the answer is NOTHING !!

Reply #441425 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I dont care if perform has control of the website.

If that happened in my line of work I would have our legal department immediately draft up a letter detailing the myriad reasons perform are not fulfilling the responsibilities of their contract, and give them 7 days to remedy the situation in full or else that portion of the contract will be taken off them and they can just handle nbl.tv.

that's assuming that the contract is not worded in a way that fucks the nbl over in any and every situation. Wouldnt surprise me...

Also...fiba live stats are great. The nbls ones suck. Just stick with fiba.

Reply #441430 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Bloody HELL paul, sort it out. this is entirely your FAULT!!

Reply #441434 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep, I definitely suck.

Reply #441465 | Report this post

Money Traveler  
Years ago

New hawks tv show looks good
http://goo.gl/gnmQit

Reply #441625 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:46 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754