Jack Toft
Years ago

Sixers v Tigers Fri Nov 8

With both teams looking for three wins in a row, The Sixers have a great opportunity to keep their undefeated home record in tact.

Disappointing loss in Mebourne last time these teams met. Goulding, Walker and Worthington are the dangermen for the Sixers. Morrison also doing well. Goulding more dangerous than the rest of the team so controlling him is paramount.

What has been encouraging for Sixers fans is the team's ability to adapt and "never say die". Huge change in mental state from the desert years of Marty. I have been impressed by the hustle and the way the guys back each other up. I don't mind the odd USF every so often if it means the guys are watching their teammate's back.

Last time they played, the Sixers won the boards, but poor shooting killed them. 58% FT% is woeful. Even Ricey can shoot better than that!

Melbourne would like to think they are the bogey side of Adelaide, so I say get out a hanky, Sixers need to make each home game count and should win this one.

Topic #33040 | Report this topic

banked shot  
Years ago

Ill probably pick the team with the worse odds when it comes time to bet. Either team could walk away with the win in this one. I love watching these two teams match up. The old Blaze players look like they love matching up against each other

Reply #443410 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Would pick Adelaide as at home this time but should be a good game

Reply #443413 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Big game this one, will really be one to watch. Could go either way but Adelaide should hold serve against Melbourne. If they drop this at home could change some minds about the final ladder make-up.

Reply #443415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have enjoyed watching the sixers so far but one query I have is who on the team would be the best shut down defender. Who can stop Goulding if he gets going? Frye may be good but he keeps picking up cheap fouls and Gibbo doesn't match up well against him.

Looking forward to seeing what Joey does.

Reply #443420 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

A good opportunity for the sixers to strengthen their top two position I see them winning this at home by 8.

Reply #443421 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

We have issues defending the perimeter and thats where Goulding thrives so he is the danger man along with Wortho who seems to love playing Adelaide in Adelaide.

Creek probably best to defend Goulding, has the athleticism, length and speed.

Reply #443423 | Report this post

Grovermi$ter  
Years ago

creek to get goulding and petrie to get wortho...

and the rest of the team to rotate on the other 3 players...

Reply #443424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so Frye starts on the bench?

Reply #443425 | Report this post

Grovermi$ter  
Years ago

he does have an injury (frye) so youd expect Creek to step up take his minutes...

Reply #443428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another tactic re Goulding is get Ervin to go head to head with him and have Ervin force Goulding into foul trouble early by going at him when he (Ervin) has the ball. Ie make Goulding play Defense.

As far as straight up defense on Goulding, Creek is definitely the best man for the job. I'd be prepared to start him ahead of Frye, especially with Frye having a bit of a injury, but Creek has been impressive anyway and earned the minutes imo.

Reply #443429 | Report this post

ricey  
Years ago

You haven't heard Jack, I'm the new free throw coach. So expect a high 80% from the line, as anything below 85% means suicides

Reply #443430 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Interesting matchups. The starting 5 for the Tigers last time was Morrison; Wortho; Walker; Goulding; Tomlinson.

You would expect Sixers to go: Johnson, Petrie, Frye, Gibson, Ervin.

Johnson and Ervin would be the lock ins. Petrie and Wortho would be a good match. Walker and Goulding the obvious points of concern. Do you go Frye & Creek, or Creek & Gibson? You don't really want to bump Petrie off Wortho.

An injury concern to Frye could force Joey's hand, but Creek-Walker seems a better match than Frye-Walker.

I think Gibbo might have a short run with fresh legs on Goulding being Chef Joey's special for the night.

Reply #443431 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Ricey, Now that is what I'm talking about!

Anything less than 85% means suicides on the court, less than 70% should be suicides in the dunes of Semaphore.

Reply #443432 | Report this post

Grovermi$ter  
Years ago

Jack Toft, agree... at this level they should be getting 90%...

Reply #443434 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Adelaide have 3 out of 4 of the top players in the NBL for FTA so far this season.

Anyway, Adelaide really should win this if we're the top team we think we are.

Reply #443435 | Report this post

Grovermi$ter  
Years ago

Isacc...think or KNOW we are...???

Its refreshing to see a team in the 36ers blue whom NEVER gives up and fights for every ball...

Need Ervin to look for the open man first and possible 'alley-oop' as well... how many possiblilites were there on sunday or the open man deep in the corner...

was a lil frustrating at times... i Do like his passion though...

and need Gibbo to stop with the tactic of shoving a plyer under the rim...

Frye to get his confidence back... he has the skills just lacking a lil bit of confidence atm... understandable with the injury etc...

sure there are other lil things... but so far im a lot happier than the last few years thats for sure!

close to 7k on Friday? or is that being a lil adventurous?

Reply #443437 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

Totally agree on Ervin. Great player but does try to do a little too much in transition. I think he needs to stop taking the 2 v 1 and pull up or look for the pass that is usually there.

The amount of times he had a runner with him and opted to try and drive on 2 defenders was may to high.

Reply #443439 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

J.Frye got 2 early fouls and off to the bench and only played 13minutes in the last game, so don't mind him coming off the bench this game, even though he's my favorite player.

Reply #443442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will Friday night juniors affect the crowd number?

Agree that Creek would be the best match up on Goulding. I think Goulding could just shoot over the top of Gibbo and would dominate him in the low post.

I'm liking the way Ervin is controlling the game in the last few minutes.

Reply #443449 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

I'm stoked got approval to take the kids for work so I don't miss the game and continue wasting my membership!! First game this season for me so hopefully the boys can put on a good show.

Reply #443477 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Juniors might affect crowd numbers, but the game not being on FTA TV will help.

Isn't Gibbo supposed to be one of the best defenders in the NBL and a former winner of the NBL's Best Defensive Player award? Surely he should be able to defend Goulding.

Maybe with Chris Anstey in town "someone" can kidnap him and surgically transplant the mongrel he had on D into DJ.

Overall at home I'm saying Sixers by 10.

Reply #443494 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

Got nz and perth coming up u think they would want to get this one!

Reply #443669 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I think with Joey Wright we'll get this.
Gibson is starting on Goulding . Frye and Ervin to concentrate on outscoring them.

Reply #443672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sixers up by 25 points . Under two minutes to play in the first half

Reply #443728 | Report this post

Aaron  
Years ago

Ervins on fire!

Reply #443729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers up 53-33 at the half.

Reply #443730 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I was just about to foolishly conclude Melbourne was not on the same tier as Adelaide and Perth, but they have bounced back hard in that 3Q...

Reply #443732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought the ABC's Neil Cross did a good job calling the game tonight with Sapwell.

Reply #443733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers won 90-87.

Reply #443734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Schenscher's best game yet!!

Reply #443745 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Well done to Adelaide, held their nerve at the end. Probably need to look into what's causing them to drop 20pt leads repeatedly though.

Great performance from Wortho and Goulding going by the box score, fires a warning shot for the competition.

Reply #443750 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

How important was that Cadee bomb at the siren in the end! We are really killing ourselves at the free thow line, 40% at the half is just not acceptable for a pro team. In the end that was a big escape win after going ice cold and them catching alight.

Reply #443752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great game tonight, the atmosphere in the first half was like the good old days.

Positives - Ervin was good all night and it was definately Schenscher's best game. 3 point shooting by Ervin and Gibbo in first half was excellent. Ervin again controlled the last few minutes to get the 36ers over the line. His drive, then jumped against 2 defenders and the late dish to team mate (can't remember who) unguarded was gold.

Negatives - 36ers could just not get a defensive stop in the 3rd quarter. Once the Tigers stopped going to Morrison and concentrated on Wortho and Goulding they just couldn't get a stop. Frye - he had no confidence on the 3 ball and they just stood off him and he had minimal influence. I was hoping for more.

Go 6ers!!!!

Reply #443753 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Great to get a contest in the end and the team held strong. Lots of highlights. Another trademark Wortho game in Adelaide...

Crowd wasn't great and a lot of corporate suites were empty. On the other hand, Apollo was pretty full for a meal before the game.

Would've liked to have seen more Creek in for Frye. Ervin in the team rather than Cadee starting is a big difference over last year.

Reply #443755 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

^ Another case of holding on in a tight contest will do wonders for confidence as well.

Reply #443756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

seems to me, that foul on coach somehow began the change in proceedings. however, wins are wins and given the last 7 years, more so last 3 years, W's are nice rather than a row of L's.

Reply #443757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For all the talk of who should match up on Goulding before the game I think Gibbo did a great job in the first half and then Goulding went to work in the 2nd half.

Don't think Gibbo did much wrong, the Tigers were running great plays for him coming off screens and he started hitting the open shot.

I think the Tigers should start going to Goulding earlier, they were never going to win the battle of the big men tonight

Reply #443760 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Why's Ubaka even in that Melbourne team?

Reply #443764 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

^ Seemed like the thing to do at the time?

Reply #443765 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Gibbo did do a good job on Goulding. Friday night games are always a little interesting, but a great opportunity for the corporates to kick off in the Apollo room. Magnificent 3 by Cadee. Put that in Coopz's highlight reel of the season.

"Why's Ubaka even in that Melbourne team?" - perhaps they had some salary cap points to fill?

FT% - 50%!

Can someone explain to Joey that the Adelaide is the only stadium where refs don't favour the home team.

Still undefeated at home.

Reply #443768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, Ubaka was hopeless, not sure if he adds value

Great to see emotion from Joey but he got the Tech when the 6ers were doing well. Perhaps he should do a tafe course in diplomacy

Reply #443770 | Report this post

%  
Years ago

i was at juniors otherwise would have gone

Reply #443772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep crowd dissapointing but good to see they are starting to advertise and I heard a few promos on the radio about tonights game.

If they keep winning and start playing ball like in the first half tonight, the arena will be pumping again.

Reply #443774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big 36ers team poster inside todays Advertiser too.

Reply #443775 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

That tech really wasn't at a good time for us. Goulding was stone cold to that point. He gets a lay-up in transition, then makes a big 3. So the tech then lost us a possession, sent him to the line for 2 more, then he made a big 3. 0 points in 18.5 minutes of playing time and he still goes into half time with 10 points (and he's got his confidence up now heading into the second half).

Not sure how to feel about that one. We won in a close one, but I more consider it to be we let a blow out become a close game, then just managed to hang on. Good that we did win, but after that first half, we never should have needed to grind it out to win.

DJ was pretty much on the court for all of our good play and off for all our bad play. First quarter, plays first 8:35. Score 22-11 (+11). Subbed off until 2:13 into second. Score now 24-17 (-4). On until 7:50, Score now 48-23 (+18). Off until Half Time. Score now 53-33 (-5). On start 3rd until 3:11, now 57-41 (-4). Off until 3:55 in 4th quarter, score now 77-71 (-10). On until end of game, final score 90-87 (-3). So in 23:28 that he was on, we were +22, in the 16:32 he was off, we were -19. Just an interesting stat I noticed. (also, there was a period of time where we had Schenscher, DJ and Petrie all on the court at once, pretty sure we were negative during that time).

Not sure what the story was with Creek. 10:49? Didn't play at all in the last quarter, only got 3 short bursts of playing time.

Ervin is a big time player. When we need a cool head to steady the ship, he's invariably that guy. Gibson proved last season that he can't be trusted to close out games, Ervin is the player we need and are lucky to have him.

On Gibson, thought his first half was extremely impressive. Passing and shooting. Pretty close to the best half of basketball he's played as a 36er. Second half, not so much.

Looks like the scouting report is in for Frye. Clog the lanes, dare him to shoot, send him to the free throw line, draw fouls on him. He's somewhat one dimensional in his play (similar to another SF import we once had), hopefully he has other elements to his game.

Schenscher played well. His +/- is probably almost the opposite to DJ's, but I struggle to blame him for that today. Worked hard rebounded and made his hook shots. Couple nice blocks too.

Peach wasn't great tonight. Got called for fouls everytime he went near anyone. Grabbed some rebounds, but wasn't up to his normal Peach level.

BJ had a similar night to Peach. Wasn't nearly as effective as he has been this season.

Cadee was ok in his normal limited minutes and undefined role. Nice 3 on the siren was important in the end.

Teys got donuts across the board in his 4 minutes.

Ubaka shouldn't still be getting an import gig in the NBL. Can't shoot anymore, looks slow, doesn't penetrate at all (or really bounce the ball for that matter), defense has never been his forte. Melbourne would have been a scary team with Dennis instead of him, they need to cut their losses and search for a better alternative.

A lot of Melbourne's offense is run around setting multiple screens to get Goulding and/or Worthington open. Doesn't really surprise me Tomlinson had so many assists, it was the other guys that were doing a lot of the work for him, he was just passing to whichever of those 2 managed to get free for the shot. Still 15 assists in 40 minutes is extraordinay.

Worthington loves playing the 36ers. Pretty much never seen him not score 20 against us. Shot wasn't falling in the first half, but more than made up for it in the second.

Goulding too. Once his shots started falling, they didn't stop. He's like a completely different player this season, his game now matches the confidence level he's always had.

Ballinger is all too familiar with our rings. Best game of the season for him easily. Looked like the import Ballinger of old in patches today.

Morrison and Walker provided rebounding, but otherwise, outside of the main 4, they didn't really get much service.

Reply #443777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do we choke away such big leads? Good that we still win in the end but a bit worried.

Reply #443783 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I had one of my long standing questions answered - "how do you get Ballinger to play well at the Dome?" - put a Tigers top on him.

Reply #443806 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Great game and good to see some atmosphere coming back to the stadium.
But how did we blow such a big lead .
As another poster said our defence of perimeter shooting is terrible and a concern.
Another poster giving credit to Ervin for that late dish under ring late last qtr was being generous as Ervin actually run into a wall and had ball knocked out of hands and lucky to land into our hands.

Reply #443813 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Maybe wortho was thinking, we are still in this. I haven't heard Moscow played yet. Even the DJ doesn't trust Adelaide to hold onto this lead.

Reply #443826 | Report this post

GuessWhosBACK  
Years ago

Well, a 26 point lead may have been blown.. but they held their nerve and won. Last year a 26 point lead would be lost plus the 6ers would lose by 20... I wouldnt complain

Reply #443829 | Report this post

Phobus  
Years ago

Tomlinson 15 assists.... Wow, extremely good for a rookie in an NBL game!!

Reply #443851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Second year player but still very good. Good for a 10 year veteran.

Reply #443852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

while it was a win, there was an element that made it feel like a loss. so far up and almost catastrophe.

one side I still don't get is one week its call every foul, next week its play the game as if there was no reffing. time for refs to make up their mind, either u allow a free flowing game or pick every foul.

Reply #443854 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Goulding too. Once his shots started falling, they didn't stop. He's like a completely different player this season, his game now matches the confidence level he's always had.

I remember watching him in the hoops tournament in Adelaide, he looked extremely impressive knocking down his shorts left right and centre, I was thinking "dayum, we should sign him up" but I never understood why he didn't dominate in the NBL. Maybe he's experience and development has allowed him to utilise those skills more effectively with the Tigers...

Reply #443864 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

"DJ was pretty much on the court for all of our good play and off for all our bad play"

Also mostly plays with the starters and not the bench players...

Reply #443924 | Report this post

Brent Kockman  
Years ago

How good was Wortho?

Imagine if he was athletic! The guy looks thin and slow with an ugly shooting style, in the first half every shot was short but once he found his range it was pretty to watch.

Before the game I told my mate to leave Wortho alone as every time you heckle Wortho he is like an assassin. My mate said "yeah right, Wortho is on the decline, he won't shoot like the old days" then bang bang.

Bang bang bang

Reply #443966 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:10 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754