Anonymous
Years ago

Delly played 30 minutes for the Cavs?

Anyone know if the 30 minutes is correct or is that a mistake in the stats?

Topic #33140 | Report this topic

sitiveni  
Years ago

Think its correct and they got a win with him playing a lot of minutes. Stat sheet wasn't great for him but stats don't always tell the whole story. Well Done Delly helping the Cavs to a Victory

Reply #445332 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

His stats weren't flash 30mins with 1-5 fg, 2ast, 1stl, 6reb but a win is a win and it's a sign of better things to come.

Reply #445333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sitiveni, any idea if the Brisbane bid is looking good? (Serious question)

Reply #445335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was +14, so was in there for defending another guard the Wizards played with.
Made some solid passes, got on the boards. All you can ask when Kyrie Irving dominates the ball so much (not a bad thing)

Reply #445336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly +16 in the column that counts, equal best on the team.

Reply #445337 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

The plus/minus stat is hardly the column that counts. It's very misleading.

Reply #445338 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

I heard he played great defence..

fantastic sign when know it alls were saying he wouldnt be able to defend NBA guards.

Reply #445340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He played great D. Outstanding hustle. His shot isn't dropping at the moment but he's carving out a niche in the NBA. Anybody who knows the work ethic this kid has could have seen it coming. Haters can keep on hating. Delly will have a significantly better career than Mills with a fraction of the physical abilities.

Reply #445342 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Good effort by Delly. Most encouraging stat was that he played 30mins, despite not hitting his shots. That alone shows you that the coach sees his value in aspects of the game not involving offense.

Too early to say he is carving out a niche in the league though.

Could only say that after seeing more of what i saw today.

The NBA is a fickle business. Only have to look at the players that come and go in the off-season to realise how cut-throat it is.

Reply #445345 | Report this post

TheCheese  
Years ago

Watched this game and he was very solid

Reply #445355 | Report this post

Jacob  
Years ago

Set some ridiculously good screens down stretch and played out most of the 4th and all of OT

Reply #445367 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Situation, on the plus/minus,

In the NBA, they are good enough to know if you are weak on D and they will go to your man every time and will score on you every time because they are so good at it.

The combination of high minutes and +/- meant he did a kick ass job today.

Reply #445390 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Anon regarding Brisbane team, too be honest im not too sure as ive been overseas with the family the past month. After the Logan Thunder (fundraising) it generated a lot more interest in a Brisbane Mens basketball team, more people were talking about it, more media attention etc. I haven't been confident for the past several years of a Brisbane team anytime soon however my gut feel is things could happen sooner. More positive talk(media/business) up here towards the direction the NBL is taking which is positive as people like getting on board something that is moving in the right direction. Sponsors don't seem to be the problem but getting investors has been. If I have more news to share on here I will, but to say I am more confident now then even 6 months ago.

Reply #445400 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Thanks sitiveni.

Reply #445402 | Report this post

Anonas  
Years ago

he sets good screen and even stayed on crucial last seconds of the regulation. coach sees more that we couldnt see statistically

Reply #445403 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Statsheet stuffer, +/- can be a good stat but is best used with a bigger sample. Over one game can be misleading.

More importantly, well done Delly. When coaches play you minutes you dont usually get it suggests youre doing something right.

Reply #445411 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Only court the final minutes of regulation and OT, but he was used mostly off the ball in a 3 point guard lineup along with Jack and Irving. Set a great screen on Beal to free Kyrie up for the three that put the Cavs up 5 in OT and basically sealed the game..

Reply #445412 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

caught*

Reply #445413 | Report this post

Anonas  
Years ago

the result of players' meeting only where Irving and Mike Brown had heated argument apparently

Reply #445414 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Paul, don't disrespect me like that. I understand the game very well, you know that. No need to be telling me what stats I should look out for and how to interpret them.

Regarding Delly, he wasn't even hitting shots, so if he was just there to only space the floor then he would've been benched very quickly.

He literally didn't register a stat in his first stint of 4:30 at the end of the second quarter, so he was obviously doing the intangibles right seeing as he got PT after that.

Reply #445439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

C'mon Paul pull your head in that's why he is called "statsheet stuff" he knows what he is talking about bro

Reply #445441 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

'the result of players' meeting only where Irving and Mike Brown had heated argument apparently'

I feel as tough the second part of this contradicts the first?

Reply #445443 | Report this post

Anon :)  
Years ago

I watched the game. He didn't play particularly great. He only got minutes because there was a players only meeting in the Cavs locker room the day before which resulted in a dispute involving Dion Waiters and the team, so Dion didn't get minutes tonight.

Not taking away from Delly's game, he didn't have a bad game at all.. Just don't think we can look too much into these extended minutes

Reply #445449 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Yeah Paul, don't you know stat sheet stuffer is the only allowed to tell you when you are misinterpreting a stat or not!

Reply #445451 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Isn't points scored and against realistically the column that counts? The game after all is decided by exactly that. Easy to find cases where +/- doesn't mean much, but suggesting it's the column that counts has some basis.

Reply #445458 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Speaking of Delly,

He and Nate Wolters are very similar players.

6-4, both didn't go to major schools (Wolters went to South Dakota State), both are tall but slower PGs, both play with a high IQ.

ATM, Wolters is playing 32mins a night.

Not sure whether it is good or bad, but Delly can be a solid NBA player. Not going to win or lose games generally. (Can be a good thing, or can be a bad thing).

Wolters has a little more x-factor about him. Could develop into a really good player/borderline All star.

Reply #445488 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

http://www.ohio.com/sports/cavs/cavs-find-success-with-patchwork-lineup-that-includes-clark-dellavedova-playing-extended-minutes-1.445567?localLinksEnabled=false

Jason Lloyd writing for Ohio.com, mentions

"Delly only scored two points on 1-of-5 shooting, but he grabbed six rebounds, set some crushing screens for a point guard and kept the ball moving offensively, a critical staple Brown has been seeking for weeks."

and a quote from Mike Brown

"We just felt like we wanted to throw him out there because he's a tough son of a gun and he does what he does," Brown said. "He played D the right way. He was relentless and offensively, he was just a ball mover. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a guy go 1-for-5 from the field with six rebounds and two assists in 30-plus minutes and impact the game the way he did. I’m speechless."

It goes on to say he received the minutes vacated by Waiters but hey, if you play 30 mins in an OT game and the coach is high on what you brought to the team, then that's a great thing.

Reply #445494 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Awesome quote! he's going to be playing some more if that's how the coach feels.

Reply #445497 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:46 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754