Anonymous
Years ago

Dellavedova vs Wizards, Nov 20

Awesome to see him playing over 20 minutes today

But are they playing him at the 1 or 2?

He has no assists, is he still playing point guard or have they switched him over to the shooting guard?

Topic #33175 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he keeps hitting 3's at a 50% clip it will be the 2 in the future!

Reply #446158 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I suspect he was doing something right when he is +21 in 27mins and the Cavs were -28 in the remaining 21mins!!

As much as +/- is best taken over a number of games and assessed with different line-ups etc when the difference is this stark it probably tells you something.

Reply #446159 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

What i love so much is how people said he can't defend during the draft process, did he make them look like fools or what!

Reply #446160 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I would've thought his D and composure were his two key traits.

Reply #446161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But is he running the point?

Did anyone see the game?

Reply #446162 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

Really if you can play D at a high level you dont have to hugely athletic. He has such a high IQ on the court and knows how to use his body to the best of its ability.

Reply #446163 | Report this post

matt  
Years ago

delly played off the ball most the game he played great defence on beal and was key in bringing the cavs back into the game

Reply #446164 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Nope they were saying that he couldn't defend quicker guards.

Reply #446165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many on here wrote him off as an NBA prospect? Guy might start as an undrafted rookie if he keeps this up.

Reply #446166 | Report this post

Playmakermo  
Years ago

It might be fair to say he would struggle defending the likes of John Wall etc, but generalizing that length + athleticism (Delly is below average in both) = defensive ability and vice versa is too simplistic. At the 2012 Olympics and in college, Delly was a very competent defender which must be at least somewhat translatable to the NBA.

Reply #446167 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

All his big minute games have seen him playing mostly at the 2, off the ball.

Reply #446170 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

9 points is his season high right now. Love what he is doing.,..

Reply #446181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly in full beast mode. Congrats Delly

Reply #446182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great work Delly, loved what i saw of him in the Olympics, glad he is getting some minutes in the NBA, seems to be a Mike Brown style of player, which is great for everyone, including Australian Basketball and us fans!

Reply #446183 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Featured in the game wrap up

http://www.nba.com/video/games/cavaliers/2013/11/20/0021300162-was-cle-recap.nba

Reply #446184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Cavs offense is bordering on terrible with Irving, Waiters or Jack dribbling the air out of the ball before they jack up a contested jumper... Delly has been standing in the corner and knocking down 3s. I'd actually like to see him with the ball in his hands working the PnR, but it won't happen on this team.

He played 30mins the last time they played the Wiz and he was doing the same as today, locking Beal or Wall down on d and hitting open shots - oh and rebounding very well too!

I'm surprised how well he is doing considering what they have him doing, but Coach Brown is really impressed with him from the few articles I've seen

Reply #446185 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

props for taking advantage of every opportunity he gets, great role model for kids.

Reply #446186 | Report this post

Step back  
Years ago

Just saw the highlights of the game on NBA game time. Cavs coach said Delly was the only guy who gave 100% out. He got a big wrap for his D and for getting them back in the game from being down 24 with his 3 pointers.

Reply #446187 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

QUOTABLE II: "We didn't compete. We had one guy that competed the entire time he was on the floor. That's Matthew Dellavedova. I've got to find guys that are going to give it to me. It's as simple as that. We didn't play hard."
-- Cavaliers coach Brown.

I guess Cleveland need to fill their team with a bunch of undrafted Australian rookies!

Reply #446190 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

When was the last time an undrafted Rookie had a better Rookie year than the number 1 pick (either on the same team or not)? At the moment his stats are superior to Bennett's.

Reply #446192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My prediction of Bennett having a better rookie season than Delly is looking a little silly now.

Reply #446193 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up starting a few games this season

Reply #446194 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If it wasnt for ego management he might be already.

Reply #446196 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Brown is a fan of Delly and he should be.

Only problem I can see going forward is the possibility of Brown getting fired. (Seems to be a lot of friction in that team between Kyrie and Brown and we know that is the player, not the coach, who gets what he wants).

In the case of Brown getting fired, theres no guarantee that the next coach would see his value as much.

Hopefully Brown sticks around. He tends to focus on the effort, hustle, etc more than other coaches...which I like. And it suits Dellys style.

Reply #446216 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If he's proven himself just that slight amount, there's nothing saying he won't have the confidence of Popovich or Brett Brown as a back-up plan. I imagine both of those guys would appreciate his style of play.

Reply #446220 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

He was +22 !

Reply #446224 | Report this post

banked shot  
Years ago

Delly runs a team really well. With him on the court it gives Irving the opportunity to go it himself as he can, or slow it down and use delly to move the ball around the floor. The cavs look like a much better team when they utilise him in tandem with irving. And they seem to feed off each others energy, going off the last two games. Delly on d and Kyrie in offense.

Reply #446231 | Report this post

Rav  
Years ago

Nice work Delly!!
I like to see the Aussies playing well in the NBA.

Bogut is currently putting up some good numbers, over the last 5 games.
9.2 pts, 10.8 Rbs, 1.6 Ast, 2.0 Blks

Fingers crossed he can stay healthy for the whole year.

Reply #446233 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Delly's stats - 9p, 3r, 0a

How is this beast mode? What are you going to call it when he drops 20?

Reply #446236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt brown will last the season - and I can't see many other coaches giving delly the opportunity for big minutes - there is a few too many egos in that team at the moment - hopefully delly can become a fan fave and force his way into the rotation

Reply #446237 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's nearly Thanksgiving, I assume you mean Delly was in full feast mode?

Reply #446238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good article here about Delly after today's game
http://westcoastconvo.com/2013/11/20/november-20th-2013-day-ohio-learned-spell-dellavedova/

Reply #446240 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

Delly has the heart of a lion, many of the naysayers in the USA will be starting to see what most Aussies have known about Delly for some time. He is just a flat out competitor, something some of the more fancied primadonas should take note of.

Reply #446259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow I'd be proud of myself If I read that - but he can't rest on his laurels... Keep that Aussie spirit going and find more ways to contribute!

Reply #446260 | Report this post

Pauly B  
Years ago

If anybody interested, here's a bit of a recap of Dellly's game.

1st qtr - Played with Jarrett Jack in the backcourt. Jack did most of the half court play making but Delly got the ball and pushed it a few times in transition. Hit a couple of teammates with good passes for open looks but they missed. Defended Beal most of the qtr and didn't give up any points. Chased him hard around screens and made it hard for him to catch the ball. Helped off his man to challenge open shooters.

2nd qtr - Cavs go small with Delly, Jack & Irving in together. Out-hustled some much bigger guys to tip a rebound to a teammate that started a fastbreak. Delly involved in an early PnR, passes to Earl Clark for an open mid range jumper that missed (had Irving open at the top for a 3 which was probably a better option). Still working hard on Beal and then Temple & Wall, gets caught behind good double screen but Temple misses long 2. Couple of plays later chases long defensive rebound but fouls Wizards player near half court.

3rd qtr - Enters the game about half way in with Cavs down by 27 with Jack again. Hits spot up 3 from right wing. Defending Beal again. Beal cut to set a screen for Nene to post, Delly jumps over and draws offensive foul on Nene. Steps into a 3 from the left wing but misses long. Gets called for hand checking foul on Beal, still making him work hard for every touch. Beal losses Delly around a screen but misses mid range jumper. Delly gets another foul trying to stop Beal getting the rebound. Next play, Beal finally shakes free with a little nudge to put Delly the wrong side of Gortat's screen/handoff and hits open 3 at the top of the key. Beal iso's on Delly for last possession, pull up, hits long 2

4th qtr - Delly gets defensive rebound, hits left wing 3 on next Cavs possession. Next Wizards possessin , Delly gets called for foul for trying to bust through a screen for Beal. Misses wide open 3 from the right corner. Steps into and hits a 3 from just wide of the right guard spot. Hits Jack for an open 3 at the top of the key, Jack misses. Forces Beal to waste time over dribbling, Beal ends up passing the ball out to Wall who has no choice but to force a drive and contested shot. Drives and kicks out to Bennett who nearly air balls an open 3. Delly forced into contested 3 (right wing/corner) late in the shot clock, misses long. Still hounding Beal, forces him to bobble the ball out of bounds. Beal tries to take it at Delly, airballs step-back 3 badly. Beal tries to drive on Delly again, forces him to pick up his dribble and into a terrible pass. Commentary team LOVING Delly at this point. Again Delly denying Beal hard, Beal finally gets ball as Delly and Verajao switch, Delly stops Nene getting the ball on the switch, Varejao keeps pressure on Beal, 24 sec violation. Crowd & Commentary go BERSERK for Delly. Beal gets free, hits elbow jumper

Pretty solid game over all. Spend most of his time defending Beal who was getting really frustrated. Did the right things off the ball too, never left the strong side shooter open and helped and boxed out well. Competed for rebounds.

Didn't take a bad shot and had just 1 turnover. (carrying violation). Mostly played off the ball spending a lot of time in the corners but when he had the ball he didn't force anything. Made some good passes in the flow of the offense but guys missed shots, hence the 0 assists. Spaced the floor really well.

Once he came in during the 3rd qtr he played the rest of the game.

Reply #446266 | Report this post

matt  
Years ago

hey anon have you ever watched delly play? because its not his game to drop 20 like patty but he just makes his team better every minute he is out there. He has gone from 15th man to already seeing 20 plus minutes in the last two games.

Reply #446272 | Report this post

jimmy needles  
Years ago

I see Delly working with Kyrie on the court together the way Chicago are using Rose and Kirk Heinrich. Delly and Heinrich are both seen as unathletic PGs, but they have great vision for the game and can successfully run a team's offense. This frees up the two mega stars to slide across to the 2 so they are not constantly trying to be both the facilitator and the scorer.

Reply #446307 | Report this post

Rick  
Years ago

Thanks Pauly B. Great recap. I previously skipped through just to watch the shots that Delly hit but now I am going to have to watch the whole of the 3rd and last quarters to appreciate his performance.

Reply #446308 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

Dellys effect has interested me most of the aussies as he is the who appears least likely to have such an effect. The guy has inexplicably found himself well and truly in the rotation. Even the coach probably didnt expect that. Only one who did was probably Delly himself!

Reply #446313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Pauly B for taking the time to give that description of his game :)

Reply #446326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly has the tenacity of Heal combined with the class and winner's mentality of Gaze. If he keeps exceeding expectations, he could go down as one of the all time Australian greats.

Reply #446332 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Thanks, Pauly B. Makes me want to go watch it too.

Reply #446349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guys - go watch the game for his DEFENSE alone! He lifts his team into thinking they've lost to giving them a massive boost and a chance to win the game.

Seriously, it was more about heart, hustle and not caring what was on the scoreboard. Brown was right, Delly was the only guy out there busting his ass!

Reply #446360 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Hey guys heres dellys highlights from that game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2FTJxDm86k

Reply #446394 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

Delly is inspirational... I think he will keep doing this, its in his nature. The guy could end up with a decade long, solid NBA career. He shows kids who might not have all the physical tools "yes you can!"

Reply #446414 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Great stuff. Such good contributions, and that's without even making use of one of his best weapons - his ball handling & vision.
That defence down the stretch was just awesome.

Reply #446419 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

That second to last defensive stance when the crowd got up off its feet gave me chills... I like what the commentators said too... dellavedova , A ROOKIE is showing the veterans what they need to bring night after night... Just excellent. Gotta like the Boomers chances going forward with this guy in the line up.

Reply #446421 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Great stuff! Love the rundown Pauly B, and thanks for the YouTube link that I have now also since shared on twitter!

Love the love from the commentators too! Can only help his stock.

Reply #446422 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:07 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754