Anonymous
Years ago

Kobe signs two-year, $48m extension

Lakers have signed Bryant for a two year extension worth $48.5m to ensure him being the highest paid player in the league.

As a Lakers fan I understand this from a loyalty sense but not from a basketball or future sense. This now restricts the Lakers to one top free agent next year and not two as originally thought.

All this and he hasn't even played on that achilles yet!

Look at Rose out for the season again due to knee injury!

Topic #33212 | Report this topic

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Huge mistake......at least wait to see him get back before you give him a contract like that....

Reply #447025 | Report this post

ricey  
Years ago

When you are the only player since Jordan to sell out every road game, be the reason to secure the biggest TV deal for an NBA team, sell as much merch as he does, and many more financially beneficial reasons, then you get a big ass goodbye deal like this. He isn't stupid, and isn't about to let the Lakers make all the money off his back, plus it's a 2 year deal, which I think is fair considering he could've been an ass and asked for 5. If he comes back strong as expected, then he's worth it probably

Reply #447040 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Kobe Bryant is not Derrick Rose, anon..

Reply #447041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for clearing that up mick cause that's what I was saying Kobe is rose.

My point is Kobe is coming off an injury and don't know what level he will be at. Referral to rose was that a marquee player is injured again with a lot of money tied up

Reply #447044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As I said I get it from a loyalty point of view. Just would have preferred he sign for $10 to $15 a year. That would leave more on the table for another top free agent.

I don't think lebron would come but melo a more realistic chance? Not sure we want him.

Unfortunately Nash won't be retiring either. Will Gasol be back and if so, what contract dollars would he seek???

With some of the current group, Kobe (if back to last years form) and one top free agent, they may be decent.

Who will they keep from this seasons group???

Reply #447046 | Report this post

m  
Years ago

My issue with this is that Kobe is always saying how he is determined to get that 6th Ring and winning is all that matters but then he wants all this money. Lakers Consequently the Lakers cannot afford to buy the pieces that he needs to win that 6th championship.

Reply #447053 | Report this post

m  
Years ago

The Lakers consequently*

Reply #447055 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

Kobe will be worth it... hes one of the all time greats.

Reply #447058 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Saw it suggested that as well as wanting to be a Laker "for life", he also likes the idea of staying top dog in the salary stakes rather than follow the Tim Duncan route of accepting less in order to be on a stronger team.

If he still gets his money, stays as a Laker, and makes a run at the all-time scoring list, maybe that trumps the increase in championship chances.

Kobe has 31,617 points. Kareem finished with 38,387. Going to be tough to catch.

At first I thought it bizarre that this deal is back-loaded, but I suppose they're banking on having Nash off the books. He gets $9m next year and might even be offloaded/retired before then.

I bet we can bank on Gasol being the one asked to take a reduced deal to fit in whoever they go for.

Reply #447063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's no doubt he's worth it, but is it smart move when trying to build the Lakers back to a contender? Tim Duncan, Lebron, Wade, Ginobili (I think?), Garnett and others have taken less in recent years than they might have to allow the team to build. Shaq did it in Miami. You can't say your number 1 priority is winning championships but then make it difficult for your team to add players. I love the way Kobe plays but I think this was a bad move by the Lakers. When Jordan got his final mega deal the Bulls were in good shape; not so the lakers.

Reply #447064 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I think the nash contract was sillier. This is a cap killer in basketball terms and an overpay but you cant begrudge the lakers for wanting to ensure sellouts as well as give a great retirement gift to one of their all time legends. Kobe still has some game left IMO. Nash appears cooked.

Reply #447069 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

You'd also want to think kobe would have taken less to chase no. 6. But at the same time the lakers have deep pockets and play in a big market.

Reply #447070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lakers have three contracted players next season

Kobe $23m
Nash $9m
Sacre $900k

Young has player option $1.2m

If lakers waive Nash which unfortunately they won't, they will have $30m cap space after these contracts.

With the certainty of gasol leaving then the lakers will require a big.

Rather than paying the likes of melo $22.5m would the lakers be better off trying to chase the likes of two players such as cousins and collison or Lowry?

Reply #447077 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think Gasol will leave. Ins't he good friends with Kobe?

Reply #447083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gasol said wouldn't take big pay cut to stay and given he's on $19m I would assume he wouldn't take anything under $12m or $13m a season. He's too old to pay that much for.

Better off trying to get cousins and a point then when Kobe retires hopefully get someone that can create their own shot. Not sure who's out of contract 2016 though.

Reply #447085 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

The NBA has been and is all about two things IMO.

1. The Show
2. The Win

Keeping Kobe, no matter what they are paying him, is all about the Lakers not dropping behind the Clippers in the stakes of putting on the best show and at least winning games in their 'house'.

Although I think it is too much and it would be hard to see him play not at full fitness, the organisation heads would know what they are doing, you would think.

For me, if I was a Lakers fan, I would like to see them look at the next draft or two, seems to be some great kids coming through and if they can land one or two it can take them beyond just a couple of seasons, maybe a decade or so!

Reply #447087 | Report this post

commonsense  
Years ago

Always knew Kobe would not take any pay cut. Will be interesting to see if Carmelo goes to LA

Reply #447092 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I would love for Melo to go to LA, I can't stand either of them.

Reply #447094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As I said I'm a laker fan and is rather see cousins and Lowry or collison rather than melo.

Technically kobe did take a pay cut of around $7m per year.

Reply #447102 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Grantland has an article talking about how this seriously hamstrings their rebuilding. Worth a look if you have time.

Reply #447105 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I read the grantland article but zach Lowe sometimes rubs me the wrong way when he boils the game down purely to numbers. There is nothing wrong with waiting until kobe retires to rebuild as a franchise. I also dont see them as hamstrung as his headline would suggest in the interim. He makes it seem as though you cant build a contender with kobe on that salary which is nonsense. Look at the payroll of last years team. Give them phil Jackson and a full training camp, combined with a few standouts from this year's supporting cast and a healthy dwight, and you have at least a WCF team, all for the same or lesser payroll.

Reply #447167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Typical Kobe always putting himself before the team.

He couldn't handle being the sidekick to Shaq so ran him out of town, ran Phil Jackson out of town who then wrote a book calling Kobe "uncoachable", then ran the new coach Rudy T out of town until the Lakers went back to Phil with a blank cheque to coach an ordinary Lakers team with Kobe jacking up a million shots and paying off that poor girl in Colorado.

They got lucky with the Gasol trade (see Kerry Packer, "You only ever get one Alan Bond in life") got a couple of championships then ran Dwight Howard out of town now rebuilding needing Kobe to take a serious paycut after doing his Achilles and he asks for 2 years nearly $50 million!

The guy still cares more about getting his points (and money) than winning, always has and that will be his legacy.

Reply #447168 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

Anon 447168, that was really boring.

Reply #447172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Wow, the facts must really be boring ayy?

Reply #447176 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

What do you think Kobe really wanted to be paid?

Reply #447181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Kobe was putting himself before the team continually, why didn't he leave the lakers to play on a championship contending team? Why was he the highest shorting guard assist per game player last year? The guy loves the lakers and wanted to stay as a laker for life, never jumped ship like others.

As for facts how do you know the facts, were you there?
Shaq Kobe saga as disappointing as it was, happened between two not just one.
Apparently shaq wasn't happy signing a contract less than Kobe's which meant he was gonna leave as the lakers weren't gonna pay more.

As for the rape, once again you were there right? The girl apparently slept with three guys the week after being raped. Hardly an action of someone tangs been raped. Even her own friends said she was easy and didn't believe she was raped. So there's two stories, so for you to say its fact is rubbish as, like me, you don't know for sure.

Yes Kobe did take a lot of shots with a team that consisted of the likes of kwane brown, smush Parker, Luke Walton etc. Kobe took those guys to the playoffs and was one win away from knocking off the number one suns. The lakers roster was one of the poorest ever.

Um how many championships did gasol win prior to Kobe? Oh that's right, none! So maybe gasol was lucky to be a laker. Also they gave up Marc gasol for him so grizzlies did ok in the end.

Ran Howard out of town? Do you even know anything. The lakers offered Howard a contract and put up billboards in LA asking him to stay. Kobe stated numerous times that the lakers can be Howard's when he retires and he will work with him.

Any other facts about Kobe you can enlighten us with?

Reply #447187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe should also be on Chauncy Billups, Rasheed Wallace, Ben Wallace's christmas list for winning them (the Pistons) a title in Shaqs last year with the Lakers.

Kobe also at one point demanded a trade, when the Lakers had missed the playoffs, he was under contract for another 4-5 years so the Lakers said no and went about getting Gasol, so yea not sure Kobe is as loyal as people say, he was forced to stay in that instance.

I now doubt any star is going to LA this off season, if you are say Melo, a better player than Kobe right now why would you take less than Kobe to join the Lakers, especially given Kobe doesnt get along with any star team mates and is over the hill.

I guarantee the Lakers do not win a title with Kobe on that contract, if the Lakers were smart they would have tried to get him down to 12-15mil per year, i would under no circumstance paid more than $15 mil, if that means some one else out bids you fine, then see how loyal Kobe is, if he was truely loyal he would take 12 mil per year and help them build a strong team around him.

Sure he has the right to get the max money he can, others wouldnt take a pay cut, but if i was in Kobes shoes, already made mega millions, more money than id ever need, i would take 12 mil to keep playing, hell 12 mil per year is still more money than anyone ever needs. You cant compare that to a person in an ordinary job earning 50-100k per year, they are unlikely to be set for life like Kobe is/should be, so need to keep earning the best they can.

The reason the Spurs have stayed good with ageing stars is that guys like Duncan and Ginobli have been happy to take slightly less in money and a reducing role as their form declines a little, which allows the team to bring in stronger pieces around them and the young talent on their teams to flourish, ie Kawai Lenard. Do you think Duncan is going to be hitting the Spurs up for this kind of money? i doubt it, there is a guy who is loyal to his club and understands winning culture and that he already has more than he will ever need. If Kobe had the same attitude, the Lakers would be twice as good as they are and have been over the last couple of years.

Reply #447198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If Kobe was putting himself before the team continually, why didn't he leave the lakers to play on a championship contending team?"

Because he doesn't care about championships as much as he does his points and obviously money.

He was so desperate to be the man at the Lakers he threatened to leave them as a FA unless they traded Shaq (along with Phil, Malone, Payton).

Kobe re-signed with the team the day after they traded Shaq to Miami!

Plus I'll never forget his tanking in the 2004 NBA Finals by refusing to pass the ball inside to Shaq or attacking the hole, ball-hogging and settling for contested jumpers. Kobe isn't as bad a player as he was in that '04 Finals series, he just knew if they won the championship he wouldn't be able to get rid of everyone else immediately afterwards.

Reply #447223 | Report this post

VODKA 65  
Years ago

I think you all are neglecting the fact Kobe didn't demand anything, they gave him an offer and he signed it there and then.

Reply #447248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt any negotiation is that simple, especially with a guy like Kobe.

Not saying it couldnt/didnt happen like that, but i have my doubts, i think the Lakers would have been aware of what Kobe wanted/demanded to stay on.

Reply #447249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And look if a team/any organisation offers you a job paying you double what you are probably worth, of course you are going to sign it quickly, you would be stupid not to.

I think thats more of the case than Kobe being a loyal soldier to the lakers.

Reply #447250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe's ego wanted him to still be the highest paid player in the league knowing damn well a contract like this would hamstring the Lakers attempts to sign another star player thus ensuring the Lakers will be a mediocre playoff contending team until the 2016/17 season at the earliest.

He should've re-signed for $10-$15m a year not $24m a year.

Reply #447252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think this has put lakers in a bad place if Kobe can come back to last years form. He had the best shooting guard stats in the league. Now if you add a top free agent or two mid level free agents whilst retaining some of the role players now, lakers will contend for a top 4 play off spot.

Then two years time they can look at signing another top free agent or two mid level free agents. Think the likes of Westbrook, Lawson, Williams (Deron), Griffen, Rose, Ibaka, Curry, Holday etc are free agents.

To me the big question is what Kobe will we get???

Reply #447256 | Report this post

SamCro  
Years ago

There is a fine line with loyalty & wanting to be a one club player & then negotiating a 2 year deal that could potentially hamstrung the Lakers franchise. Kobe is what Mid 30's & asks for 24m per year! That's crazy & furthermore the Lakers are stupid crazy for paying it. Kobe's made plenty $$$ from the Lakers & yes he's won them 5 championships but if he was legitimately concerned about the long term future of the Lakers he would have come to a more reasonable contract extension going forward (7 - 10m per year). I'm sure the Lakers will look after him once he has retired as well with some type of position in the front office with the franchise as well.

Reply #447263 | Report this post

Alabama Slamma  
Years ago

Tim Duncan doesn't ask for the money Kobe is on because HIS STATS ARE SHIT!

Like a poster above said, Kobe was statistically the best 2 guard in the league last season. I as a Laker fan think yes Kobe should've signed for 10 mill per season but you can't argue what he has done for the Lakers. The Lakers have had the last 10 Christmas Day games, he sells out every road game, when was the last player to do that???? That's right MJ did.

Quit hating on the Mumba guys you know deep down you would love to have 5% of his talent, desire, work ethic.

Reply #447324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Serious question, but since Lakers are so rich, so what does it matter if his contract is 24mil a season? They can easily afford to pay the luxury tax so could still afford to sign any players they wanted, right?

Reply #447325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm the poster who said about statistically best two guard.

After seeing today's game (and all season so far) Gasol has to go. He was terrible in a lot of areas. How come no one gets on him? After all he's on $19m this season.

Hope the lakers keep the likes of farmer, Blake, young, hill, Meeks, Henry and Johnson. After Kobe coming back they will need to look at getting someone that can protect the rim as this seems there biggest problem.

Reply #447326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry their

Reply #447327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah they can but with the changes to the luxury taxes introduced last season it's no longer dollar for dollar. Last year their tax bill was $30m alone on top of the $100m in salaries, therefore a total of $130m in player salaries.

This season the tax will be around $70m alone adding to the $80m in salaries therefore total of $150m (losing Howard actually saved the lakers $50m this season).

Then look at whether they'll be a part of the playoffs. Now the lakers earn about $4m per playoff game at home so if the playoffs were now the lakers would not receive any revenue from this (would if in the East hahaha).

Lastly look at the leagues to basically put it "taking from the rich to give to the poor teams". Previously the rich teams had to pay $60m in total whereas now it's $200m -!; the lakers share is $49m.

As for the Time Warner contract, that's $5 billion over 25 years with first year being worth $120m.

I will leave it up to you guys to decide if the lakers should pay over the salary cap I'm future.

Reply #447328 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Tim Duncan doesn't ask for the money Kobe is on because HIS STATS ARE SHIT!

This pretty much sets the precedent for the rest of your post any any future posts - you're an idiot with a fundamental lack of understanding of basketball.

Go look at the Spurs statistics in the last 16 seasons. Compare it to any sports team in North America. Have a realisation as to the key people in the Spurs over the last 16 seasons. To further make the achievements more impressive, take into consideration being in a small market.

Coach Pop and Timmy 'Big fundamental' Duncan are two of the most intelligent people in world sports. When they retire, it will be the conclusion of an unbelievable era. Since being drafted by the Spurs, they've achieved a 71% win record, winning on average 58 games per season, never missing the playoffs. Without being able to acquire stars from other teams like Shaq...or Gasol...or Howard. Add to that, 4 championships and a very fair argument that Duncan is the best power forward ever and is just as iconic to the Spurs as Kobe is to the Lakers.

Shit stats? I don't think so. Doesn't let his ego get in the way like Kobe does? Maybe the Spurs have a fundamentally better culture where the players are in it together? Maybe that's a better explanation.

Reply #447333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with what you said above but if you think Duncan is playing as well this year then you haven't watched much spurs basketball this year. In all categories he is lower than last year (apart from assists).

Reply #447340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with the above 2 re Duncan, i was the one who used him as an example of a great loyal franchise player initially and stand by it.

Last year Duncan averaged 18 pts, 10 rebounds, 3 blocks, 3 assists, hardly shit stats, i reckon you will struggle to find a big doing better in the NBA, this was on a team that came within a whisker of the NBA title, where did Kobes Lakers get to??

It shows you and Kobe are all about personal stats and not winning, contributing to team success every way, even if it means you sacrifice personal scoring stats a little. Thats why the Spurs are still a top 2 team in the West and the Lakers barely make playoffs these days.

If i had a choice between Duncan and Kobe right now id take Duncan, as he is a winner, been the best player on the most successful franchise, pretty much since he got there, great team mate, great attitude/ego, cant say all of those things about Kobe.

Kobe is a great player in his own right, but he is all about himself, he wins when teamed with Great bigs ie Shaq and Gasol, but takes all the credit, especially with Gasol, who imo was the bigger reason they Lakers won the title than Kobe, where were the Kobe-led Lakers at before Gasol was picked up? I just dont think he is this ultimate winner that people think he is, he has had more help than most to win his 5 titles, he definatly wasnt the best player on the team for his fist 3, that was Shaq, he probably was for the next 2, but Gasol was right there with him, Gasol is just a humbler person so you dont notice him as much/think of him as a star, but he is.

Reply #447360 | Report this post

matt  
Years ago

spot on about the Duncan call a few years ago pop made the team more up tempo and running the ball not as much through duncan. Imagine if the lakers did that to kobe he would have asked for a trade on the spot.

Reply #447365 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Agreed with above - in saying that I don't think any team has really ever won the NBA championship without multiple stars (Jordan had Pippen, Boston with the big 3, Miami have their own 2 and a half..the list goes on. Dallas and Detroit perhaps the two teams in the last 20 years as exceptions?) I'm not inclined to be harsh on Kobe in that aspect.

if you think Duncan is playing as well this year then you haven't watched much spurs basketball this year.

As a Spurs fan I keep keen attention to my Spurs, although I just don't think stats are that relevant to the discussion, at least not as relevant as some people on here have made it out to be.

Particularly with the Spurs. Spurs are 13-1, they don't need Duncan to do well yet, and if you look at the stats, not a single Spurs player is averaging 30 or more minutes. You know the Spurs have had a good match when they have a spread of scorers and stats, and you know they've done badly when one player scores very well.

We don't see Parker get big numbers either, that's why Spurs players aren't great for fantasy league teams, they do what's best for the team not for their personal stats and if they don't need to be on court, they won't be.

But people should not underestimate the culture that Duncan and Pop have set, the psychological factor and the improvement in other players. Duncan is like an assistant coach now as well. He is still priceless to the franchise and could get a far higher pay cheque but this is one area where he is completely different to Kobe, he finds more enjoyment in playing in a good side and winning, opposed to being able to boast a high salary or living a life of bling. Duncan is earning less but in a continuously winning team, Kobe is earning more but loses...

At the end of the day, Kobe out of pure talent will be known as one of the few players talented enough to at least draw discussions of how he compares to Jordan and Duncan will be known as (arguably) the best power forward ever. Both have won multiple championships. But the Spurs have done something that very few have ever done before - that's have such longevity of success and such a strong reputation in the management of the franchise from top to bottom. Many people don't respect the Spurs because they aren't a big market team or they aren't flashy or they don't have all these show boat superstars, and I understand it's part of the NBA to have those. But the Spurs have an unbelievably good culture, players are made visibly better by it and it's a very strong reason to the Spurs being so good for 16 straight years, and even with Duncan not being at his peak super star level. Make no mistake, Duncan is one of the vital keys to the creation of this, which goes well beyond his own personal statistics and it creates a strong legacy.

So tell me Anon #447324, do you really think the value of Kobe's and Duncan's contracts boil down to stats?

Reply #447367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im not sure if spurs are most successful fanchise? In % wins then yes but winning championships and making money then no.

As for Duncan being the best player on his team? That can be argued, especially as time has gone on. I think Parker is their best player and the start of this season shows. You think spurs would have same record without Parker? No way!

Love or hate Kobe you got to love his drive and his passion. Fundamentally one of the best!

Reply #447368 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Im not sure if spurs are most successful fanchise? In % wins then yes but winning championships and making money then no.

I'm not sure if everyone said it's the most successful franchise. That goes to LA and Boston obviously. In the last 16 years the Spurs have easily been the most successful franchise in terms of winning %. 4 championships as well mind you is damn good. In terms of making money, Spurs are a small town team, what do you expect? (It also affects the ability to pull in big players like the Lakers do on a consistent basis)

Obviously Parker is the best player on the Spurs team now days, but do you really think Duncan had no effect on his development? Or keeping him at the Spurs? Or the culture of the Spurs in which Parker thrives? The system and structure of the Spurs?

San Antonio is a club other sides should try to emulate, on the floor, off the floor, the international scouting, the certain emotional/psychological characteristics of players the Spurs are bias in selecting etc. Duncan played a huge part in developing this along with Pop and co. Absolutely invaluable, even today.

Reply #447370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats also what is great about Duncan, he has allowed the younger guys like Parker to dominate and take over without fighting them or still trying to prove that he is 'the man'.

Kobes ego would never let this happen, hence why he has never worked when teamed up with another star, Gasol the exception, mostly due to Gasol being humble and not seeming to want the lime light.

Hence why the Spurs are still an elite team and the Lakers are middle of the road at best.

Over the period of time since Shaq left the Lakers, ie Kobe became the man, the Spurs have been more successful in both wins and titles and have sustained that til this day, pro sports is about that not making money in the eyes of most players and fans.

In essence imo neither Kobe or Duncan are worth $48 mil over 2 years these days, it would hurt either franchise to do that kind of deal, the difference is Duncan knows/accepts this and the Spurs keep winning, Kobe doesnt accept this and the Lakers are on the downhill slide and will struggle to recruit a decent player until this deal expires/Kobe retires.

Reply #447374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Parker who's a point guard and an Allstar well yes of course hell control the team.
Kobe worked with gasol and Bynum and came out saying that gasol needs more looks. Jordan was regarded as a poor team mate so does that apply to him as well?

Lakers are middle of the road this year with a plan in place . Pretty sure spurs would of been mid playoff team if they had coaching changes and injuries that lakers did last year. Wins over the rockets , clippers and warriors shows they can compete. The spurs were lucky to beat them too as were the grizzlies. So they're not that bad this year with zero stars!

Get your facts right, shaq left after 2004 and spurs won 2005 and 2007 so that's two titles like the lakers so how does that equate to more titles???

The deal isn't about what Kobe on the court is worth???! It's about rewarding a player who's regarded greatest player in that franchise and one of the biggest at that. Kobe has made the lakers franchise money so it's his last chance to get his. Duncan has not generated the same income for the spurs.

As for not being able to sign anyone until this contract is finished, well that's another incorrect statement. Lakers still have enough money to sign another top free agent and if they waive Nash that's leaves $40m on the table with only $2.1m tied up next season besides Kobe. Plus they may pay over salary cap? Wouldn't be first time lakers did that!

Reply #447386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok yea 2 each, i was thinking 2003, my point was Duncan, Parker, Ginobli 3 titles, Kobe, Gasol, Odom 2 titles.

Imo Kobe isnt the greatest Laker Magic Johnson is, id also put atleast Shaq ahead of Kobe, possibly some of the guys in Magics era too like Kareem, but i didnt see heaps of that era.

Stars not coming to the Lakers wasnt all about not having cap space, which they wont have much of, especially if they keep Gasol, also Kobes ego will hurt there chances too imo. I dont reckon guys like Melo will be lining up to play with Kobe, if the Spurs had the cap space available i reckon most would prefer to play with a guy like Duncan. But obviously team mates isnt always a big factor in what team you play for, for many LA will be a more desirable city.

Reply #447388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok well didn't realise u were doing selective comparisons. We could quite easily tweak comparisons to suit our arguments.

I said regarded greatest laker of all time which he's is??? as for shaq as great as he was, no! Kobe played entire career with lakers and won two more titles.

I'm sure the lakers have a chance of landing melo. Knicks are struggling and melo is friends with Kobe. I'm not saying I want that but it's a possibility. Lakers have never struggled to entice players to the franchise so why would now be any different. Can offer max contract in arguably biggest franchise with large exposure and endorsement deals.

Gasol won't stay if he want a similar money and he said he won't take a big pay cut so chances are he won't be there. Why don't people get on him as he won't take a pay cut? If he took $7m to $10m thAt would help too. He is extremely poor defensively and whilst still good offensively, not worth a bigger and longer contract.

The lakers aren't in desperate need for a point if Kobe is able to carry for next two years which means when his contract is off the books they can look at chasing the likes of Westbrook, Lawson, Curry, Holiday, Williams or Rose (not sure of his value moving forward).

This free agency they should look at a defensive big that can control the paint and protect the rim. Be a bonus if they had some sort of post game also unless they retain gasol on lower salary.

Reply #447391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry i was a little hazey off the top of my head of when Shaq left, was thinking it was prior to the 2003 title, but yea its 2 all as far as titles go, spurs/Duncan have won more games, etc though. Not switching facts, just a mix up of dates.

So you think they will move on Gasol and go after a Melo type? would be an upgrade if it happens, but not sure how Melo-Kobe co-exist on the court, if they can be a Wade-James combo they will be good, if it happens. I agree they need a defensive big to control the paint, Tyson Chandler type?

My main point is, as far as building a roster goes i believe this will hurt the Lakers, as its over paying for what Kobe gives them on the court these days, basically anyone earning more than LeBron is over paid imo, and if you over pay players it makes it tough to build a contender.

I also dont buy into the Kobe is the ultimate loyal Laker crap, i beleive he is there cos it has suited him and the time he wanted out they forced him to stay. Magic Johnson is the best Laker of all time to me.

The Lakers also owe him nothing, didnt owe him this either, he was paid extremely well during his whole career. At the same time Kobe owes the Lakers nothing, he has played hard every game. Shaq not playing his whole career at Lakers is a point, but i think he would have played alot longer if Kobe/management hadnt forced him out. I'd still take Shaq over Kobe, but i see your point.

My point with Duncan is that he is one who i see as a ultimate loyal franchise player, and reckon he would/does behave very differently to Kobe and his team is better off for it, hence the Spurs v Lakers argument, but anyone saying Duncan is shit, yes he is declining is sorely mistaking, he is taking a lesser role on a winning team, he doesnt care for stats, just W's.

When its all said and done, when I think of the best players of all time i think it goes something like this

Magic Johnson (The Greatest Laker)
Jordan
Bird or LeBron
Duncan
Shaq ( or Russell or Olajuwon or Wilt or Kareem (i didnt see alot of the older ones, of the era im farmiliar with i say Shaq)

As good as Kobe is/was he isnt quite in this class, just a small step behind, and he in my mind isnt quite the ultimate winner/loyal team guy people say he is, i see him as all about 'me' and a terrible team attitude at times, i think the opposite of Duncan hence the comparison.

Kobe and Wade are imo the best sgs since Jordan, so yes Kobe is great, but not worth $24 mil per year and dont give me the he is so loyal and great for the lakers crap because he played his whole career there, he literally cost them a title against the Pistons due to poor attitude, plus forced Shaq and Phil out of town, something that my favs like Duncan will never do.

Reply #447396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure if they would pass up on gasol but more how much less will gasol take to remain a laker. If they can keep him on the cheaper side then that's huge . I would think they'd take melo and looking at the free agents may be best bet at moment. Guess having gasol, Kobe, melo it's hard to double team each one with the perimeter shooting the lakers have ATM. Love to have James but ain't gonna happen. Could go gay if willing to sign for a smaller contract (not worth max). If lakers picked up melo then if hope in two years time they could get a double like holiday and ibaka. Then you have a good point, a defensive big and a scorer who can create shots. Time will tell what direction they head in.

Of course being a laker suited Kobe but lakers made their coin off him too. I'm the end it's a business and both parties have done well out of the relationship. The money he is paid in this contract is not about the player he is it's more than that. If Kobe comes back to what he was last year then you're probably over paying $5m compared to other players which isn't too bad considering the situation. He took a pay cut in the end.

Not the ultimate winner ? The guy has worked on his game and is arguably the most skilled player to ever play. I think no one could question his drive and passion for the game.

Shaq was never gonna stay he didn't like the fact that Kobe was gonna earn more as they believed Kobe was the future.

If Kobe didn't want another all star in la with him why didn't he leave when gasol or Howard come? Why didn't he say no and just get scoring titles and probably have more career points now? He's not a team player but led the league in assists for guards?

As for 2004 playoffs, didn't Kobe drop 30+ in game two? Also
Didn't he top score in game 5 (last game of series)? Shaq averaged 27ppg and Kobe 23ppg and no one else in double figures, yet it was Kobe's fault only that they lost the series.

Reply #447411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As for 2004 playoffs, didn't Kobe drop 30+ in game two? Also
Didn't he top score in game 5 (last game of series)? Shaq averaged 27ppg and Kobe 23ppg and no one else in double figures, yet it was Kobe's fault only that they lost the series.

Kobe kids shit me.

Shaq averaged 27 & 11 @ 63% that Finals, Kobe averaged 23, 4 & 3 @ 38% (17% 3p).

Shaq would've averaged his usual 35ppg in the 2004 NBA Finals if Kobe had have passed him the ball. He had Ben Wallace on him!

Shaq 2000 NBA Finals: 37ppg & 17rpg

Shaq 2001 NBA Finals: 35ppg & 16rpg

Shaq 2002 NBA Finals: 36ppg & 12rpg

Reply #447416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True, i suppose when looking at salaries i look at what they are worth on the court, ie helping the team win, but you are right other commercial aspects would likely come into it.

I still say i wouldnt have paid him more than $15 mil, would have rather let him walk and rebuild now, or test his loyalty ie will he take $15 mil (remember we are talking rediculous money here $15 mil is more than anyone would ever need in a life time and more than most will ever make), but thats me i spose, i dont blame Kobe for accepting it, i would too in his shoes, but do think the Lakers over paid and it will hurt them, i doubt they will be able to build a contender with that contract on the books.

I do like your picking up Melo then 2 guys like Holiday and Ibaka types in a couple of years, that would give them a nice team, see thats what i would have tired to do now, i would have offered Kobe 15 mil, if he stays or walks, than use the $9 mil saved and extra space to sign the best they can ie Melo and a guy like Ibaka and Holiday this offseason than over 3 years, but not sure how possible that would be even with Kobe at $15 mil instead of $24.

I guess to put it simply, LeBron, the best player, is getting paid what around $15-20 mil? and the Heat have managed to build a pretty deep team around him and would be in luxury tax, so if your paying Kobe more than that, how can you build a team deep enough to compete with the Heat? I just dont see it, and then you take into account the LeBron is a fair bit better than Kobe these days, so how can the Lakers contend, with a lesser star and less depth on the roster, to me thats why its a bad deal. Also why i would never pay anyone more than the best player, currently LeBron, you are better off not having over paid stars imo. As you cant build a team that can compete with them if you over pay guys, to me thats what its all about, building towards titles/competing with the best team.

Having said that, this contract isnt Amare bad so wont totally cripple the LAkers, just hurts them as far as building a contender in the next couple of years, im fairly curtain they wont be a top 2-4 team in the next couple of years, during this contract. I predict they will be 6th-12th in the West the next 2 years, not all Kobes fault, but this contract doesnt help.

Very true about Kobe working on his hard and i also dont doubt his passion and drive and he is loyal to a point, but when i think of ultimate team player/loyal superstar i think of a guy like Duncan, and i think Duncans attitude has helped his team have more sustained success than Kobes Lakers, its not just injuries that have hurt the Lakers over the past 5 years, not all Kobes fault either, i guess im of the opinion if he had a more Duncan-like attitude and took less role/money as he gets older the Lakers as a whole team would be better off.

I have never been a fan of Kobes attitude, well especially since the Kobe v Shaq and Phil stuff, i was firmly on the side of Shaq and Phil and would have done the opposite to what the Lakers did to resolve it, but never doubted he is a great player, best sg since Jordan (Wade is a close 2nd imo). I just think like this, at that time Phil wanted Kobe traded, he was so sick of his shit, he was also on Shaqs side, would any team/coach ever want to trade LeBron or Duncan?, i say no, and that shows how bad Kobes attitude must of been as he is fairly close to guys like Duncan and LeBron as far as talent goes so to want to trade him he must be a MASSIVE pain in the butt.

Of the games i saw of the Lakers v Detroit finals, Kobe wasnt moving the ball as he should, just jacking up stupid shots half the time and really showing poor on court attitude, not playing the team game at all, i remember shouting at the TV and i think you will find guys like Phil, Payton, Malone were also very frustrated with him. I very much blame Kobe for that series loss, i am firmly of the belief if he had a more Duncan like attitude they would have easily won the series.

Reply #447419 | Report this post

Choppy Galopy  
Years ago

Duncan is still an elite Defender and in reality should have got DPOY last season not M.Gasol. He has however had an ordinary start to this season by his standards.

If Millsy put up as many shots as Kirby he would score 35 points a game and the Spurs would not win as many games. Proof stats are misleading.

Kirby is a volume shooter.

No big name Free Agent will go to L.A. now in the next 2 seasons.

Reply #447423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who's comparing shaq and Kobe the comment was that Kobe tanked in the 2004 finals I was saying he scored 4 less points per game so not sure if that's tanking.

Noticed you left of shaqs 49% free throws compared to Kobe 92%
Also Kobe's near 2 steals a game
Shaqs near same turnovers as a guard also
Also compare the western teams like the spurs were a tougher opponent

Kobe's stats playoffs 2000 to 2003
2000 - 29ppg @ 47% 82% ft. 7re 8as
2001 - 27ppg @ 43% 76% ft. 6re 5as
2002 - 32ppg @ 43%. 83% ft. 5re 5as

Shaq's
2000 - 30ppg @ 56% 53% ft. 15re 3as
2001 - 29ppg @ 53% 65% ft 13re 2as
2002 - 27ppg @ 54% 62% ft 15re 4as

Totals for all three years
Kobe - 29ppg @ 44% 80% ft. 6re. 6as
Shaq - 29ppg @ 54% 60% ft. 14re 3as

Look at some of Kobe's playoff numbers with and without shaq

2001 v kings
35ppg @ 47% 9re 4as

2001 v spurs
33ppg @ 51% 7re 7as

2001 v 76ers
25ppg @ 42% 8re 6as

2003 v wolves
32ppg @ 43% 5re 7as

2008 v nuggets
34ppg @ 50% 5re 6as

2008 v jazz
33ppg @ 49% 7re 7as

2008 v spurs
29ppg @ 53% 6re 4as

2009 v nuggets
34ppg @ 48% 6re 6as

2009 v magic
32ppg @ 43% 6re 7as

2010 v jazz
32ppg @ 52% 4re 6as

2010 v suns
34ppg @ 52% 7re 8as

Could go on about Kobe's performances.

This wasn't to downplay shaq as he was awesome and dominant but it's to show that Kobe was far more than just a role player. After all how many rings did shaq (even with penny) and gasol win prior to being teamed with Kobe!!!!!

Reply #447426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one called Kobe a role-player and how many rings has Kobe won without Shaq/Gasol?

None.

Shaq won a championship without Kobe though (Miami '06) and took another team to the NBA Finals (Orlando '95).

Reply #447429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Holiday and ibaka are free agents when Kobe's contract expires. Maybe that's the lakers plan? Kobe has told them he feels he can compete like last year (best shooting guard stats in the league) and with him, Blake and farmer (Nash waived hopefully) that they're enough to carry the ball over next two seasons. Then there's free agent guards like Westbrook, Lawson, curry, holiday, Williams and rose available.

It's easy to say that about Lebron and wade who are earning $17m this year as there's no tax I'm Miami meaning your net salary can be more in some cases. Plus think past the court and who Kobe is, he's the biggest laker of a time ! It's not that big a deal if he gives 27pts on 47% with 6re and 6as. It's slightly inflated by no more than $5m or so. Nash and gasols contracts are worse!

Can't compare Duncan and Kobe in anyway. Both two of the best all time, but different positions in a different market also. As much as I hate them the spurs are an awesome organisation and I do like Timmy!

Did the lakers trade kobe? No and to be honest no one would pay $23m for Duncan right now. Someone has for Kobe. Phil and Kobe had run ins but he also has said kobe is an amazing player and worker.

Reply #447430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The point of Shaq v Kobe stat wise was backing up that Kobe screwed up the finals v the Pistons, no one mentioned any other series.

No one said Kobe wasnt/isnt a good player. A guy like Kobe if playing an efficient/good game should average around 45-50% from the field and around 40% from 3pt, Its not just about how many you score, its also how efficiently you do it, most nba players could score 20-30pts at low efficiency thats what seperates the best from the rest, guys like Kobe can typically do alot better than that, the fact his shooting numbers were so low in 2004 finals, even comparing to his good stats above back up that he wasnt playing a team game, wasnt shooting efficiently ie taking too many shots, too many tough shots when he should have past, and lost the finals for the Lakers.

Ie Kobes ego got in the way of team success, i think this contract will prove to be another, they can say he just accepted, but the Lakers woulda known he wouldnt take any less, so just saved the drama and offered it.

How many times have Shaq or Duncan through poor attitude lost their team a playoff series or in their prime had a coach wanting to get rid of them? NEVER. So the fact Kobe has done both says alot about Kobe imo.

Stars Phil Jackson would never trade when coaching them in their prime include
Jordan, Pippen, Shaq

Stars no coach/GM has ever dreamed of getting rid of
Duncan, LeBron, etc

Every fan in their right mind would love any of these guys on their team and would never wish them gone. Even many Lakers fans wanted Kobe gone when he was feuding with Shaq.

Stars Phil wanted to get rid of even though still coming into their prime
Kobe

That says it all to me

Reply #447438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What an absolute rubbish about mills one of the stupidest comparisons ever. How can u say that???

Patty mills had a worse career fg%
Patty mills has shot no where near as many field goals in his career.
Patty mills doesn't and never will command double or triple teams
Teams don't talk defensively about stopping patty mills, getting the ball out his hands and basically having defense structures to disrupt him

Dumb comment

Reply #447441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hog on the court.
Now a hog off the court with a salary he doesn't warrant.

Reply #447458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hogs so much of the salary cap that the Lakers are screwed.

Reply #447459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's my point players need other players to win. Kobe, shaq, gasol, Duncan, wade, Lebron.

Kobe also went to the finals against boston without shaq

Shaq averaged 29pts 11re 3as and had penny who averaged 21pts 4re 7as
So had another high calibre player

In Miami championship
Wade averaged 27ppg 6re 7as
Shaq averaged 20ppg 9re 2as

So without wade he wouldn't got his 4th

Reply #447466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hog on the court who averaged highest assist out of shooting guards

Both Kobe and Jordan average around 5 assists per game over career so both hogs then.

How are the lakers screwed? Granted they'd be better off Kobe signing for less but if he gives same numbers as last year then not so bad. They can sign a top free agent this off season and retain some of the bench they have now then they'll be competitive. Then two years time enough money to sign another top free agent. So not really screwed.

Reply #447468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As far as winning titles go they are screwed, they will not get one with this contract on their books.

Sure they can get a top FA, but lose Gasol, yes if they land Melo they have got a better player, but then they would really have no decent bigs, and would Melo in Gasol out be a big enough upgrade for them to contend, i doubt it, i also dont think Melo and Kobe would work well together, so dont think he will even go there.

Reply #447481 | Report this post

Pikachu  
Years ago

much rather pay Iverson 24mill a season just to mess with kobes ankles/knees/fingers/elbow . what else isnt injured lol

Reply #447496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They may not get not get one but who knows what the lakers will do. They tend to pull rabbits out of a hat in the past.

No laker fan wants melo! I'd be happy if the lakers picked up Bledsoe and Monroe instead. Also they can trade their draft pick maybe for a good role player.

Like Bledsoe, Kobe, Johnson, hill and Monroe. Even better of gasol stays and have gasol paired with Monroe.

I think lakers are waiting for love in 2015. They may offer two year contracts so in two years they can get two max players

Reply #447511 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:17 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754