Peter
Years ago

Michael Luxford poached by AFL

Looks like another young basket baller with a good upside has been poached by AFL

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-25/luxford-joins-cats

Topic #33218 | Report this topic

MrGinger  
Years ago

dam,,, he was a good playa

Reply #447101 | Report this post

JMc  
Years ago

Watched him play about this time last year at the Aus School Champs. Faced off against Lake G (Dante Exum and co.) in the Gold Medal game and scored 30 odd points in a winning performance. Stocky point guard. Really liked his game.

Reply #447106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He had a really high PER in the under 17 championships playing limited minutes behind Exum.

Oh well, hopefully it works out well for him and his family. I'm sure he will put in the work to be a success.

Reply #447108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Meh.

If these kids don't realise that AFL is only in one country and it's hard to play past 30 then good luck to them. So many more opportunities with basketball.

Reply #447116 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

what a disgraceful turn of phrase from AFL.com.au website "Rather than being a typical beanpole basketballer", how derogatory. It is not appropriate for a professional sport to be promoting a culture in which discrimination and stupid comments are acceptable. many tall people would attest that being made fun of because of their appearance by alf wankers was not a pleasant experience.

if the AFL ever wants to be taken seriously internationally it might be wise to leave its 70s chauvinism/sexism/racism/ etc at the door...and stop poaching ballers.

Reply #447118 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Anon you're crazy, the average AFL player earns in 3 years what an NBL player earns in his 12 year career, smart move by Luxford, good luck to him.

Lance, harden up.

Reply #447122 | Report this post

matt  
Years ago

lets just hope he makes it in AFL and doesn't end up like ben richmond and be delisted after 2 years and stuck in no mans land.

Reply #447125 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

yes your right Melbourne Boy it's my fault, I should just accept that being a loudmouth tosser and getting away with it is apart of 'your' sporting culture. How dare I or anyone draw attention to comments that made by the AFL that they deem inappropriate and unacceptable from a pro sport.

Reply #447126 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

If you're offended by the word beanpole you've gone too far up your mountain of moral high-ground Lance

Reply #447127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed Melbourne Boy. Typical holier than thou attitude from the morality regulators.

Reply #447129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luxford was not going to make it as a Basketballer anyway. Too small and slow at the elite level.
Hopefully he takes his opportunity at Football and earns some coin for 3 years.

Reply #447130 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Would never have made good coin with basketball, but definitely not slow! just can't shoot too well.

Reply #447131 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I only saw him play at the U17 WCs but these seems like a smart move.

At sub 6-foot you have to be brilliant to make it in basketball, and there are so few spots in this country, whereas there have been plenty of mid-range athletes make a pro or decent semi-pro career in Aussie rules.

Reply #447132 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

it's called being tolerant and respectful you should try it some time.

Reply #447133 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Lance, everyone has the right to be offended, that doesnt mean the person who said the thing that offended them is wrong or should be silenced.

Reply #447134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Anon you're crazy, the average AFL player earns in 3 years what an NBL player earns in his 12 year career, smart move by Luxford, good luck to him."

Umm he said that bball is in more than one country. So why are you saying NBL? He could earn way more and play longer in NBA, Europe, any country in the world, travel as every country has pro ball. LOL @ AFL

Reply #447142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The one thing you need more than talent is desire. If his desire is AFL he has already hit his basketball ceiling. I'm sure he isn't seeking or needing our approval.

Reply #447150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball is an elite global sport. How many Australian players make a living from it?

AFL is not elite. Close to 1000 blokes on AFL lists.

You have more chance of playing AFL than you do even getting to college.

Reply #447161 | Report this post

m  
Years ago

Anon, you sound like your talking about Dante Exum. Luxford would never play in the NBA or on a 'high level' Euro team. Considering how he has performed at juniors he would of most likely been a fringe to mid level NBL player. So taking a shot at AFL makes more financial sense than the basketball pathways for him.

Reply #447162 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

If a player was never going to represent Australia in basketball let them go. It appears the poaching of basketball players to AFL accounts for about 10% of all 'basketball' stories in the mainstream media anyway.

Reply #447184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Again...
Ryan Bathie?
Ben Richmond?

They don't mention their stories do they? De-listed from AFL clubs.

Luxford will be the same. He'll be in the system for 3 years and then will be done.

Reply #447185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luxford is no longer on any Basketball Australia depth chart. How I know? I have seen it. Would never of played NBL. Too many better players at his spot in the country. Remember there are only 8 teams currently.

Reply #447186 | Report this post

Coach Carter  
Years ago

It has been said that football is only an Australian sport which is true but if he only has 3 or 4 years or an AFL list he can still go and make pretty good money playing in country leagues. It's not un-common these days to see players making 20, 30 even up to 50 grand a year playing country footy and still having full time work because they only train 3 times a week. I don't see him making that type of money in SEABL or Big V if that's his ceiling.

Reply #447192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aahh typical condescending attitude of the do-gooder Lance!

Reply #447193 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Ryan Bathie is a perfect example, he was a fringe NBL player who'd earn $50k max as a professional athlete and if he played oversees it would be for no more money than to pay for his extended holiday.

Yes Geelong delisted him so he missed his chance of earning $300k in the AFL, but now he can start a career in the real world whilst still earning $20-30k on top of that to play football at a lower level where he trains twice a week and has fun.

Really, outside of the elite Aussie players, so we'll say we ranked them 40-600, basketballers earn peanuts compared to AFL players ranked 40-2000.

Reply #447195 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Paul, I'm not trying to silence anyone, i'm happy for anyone to have and respectfully express their opinions, but I was drawing attention to the AFL.com.au use of the word 'Beanpole' to denigrate someone who is tall. Granted, it is not the most offensive word imaginable, but it is still unnecessary and insulting.
And before various anons wish to suggest this is some PC issue, if they had witnessed as I did, various 'footy' types bullying a friend because they were different, (tall and thin) to the point where my friend changed the way they would walk and carry themselves to appear shorter and hunched over you may be more aware of the subtle insults that creep in and become acceptable until someone rebukes them.

Reply #447212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Archie Smith also picked up by Lions with last pick.

Reply #447228 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

If the boy nominated for the AFL draft, I would suggest he was not actually poached...

Reply #447240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well lance every basketball player in the past that made the afl has been tall so that's what they meant.

Reply #447617 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Scott Pendlebury? Brett Meredith? Jack Watts? All guards

Reply #447620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Troy Chaplin. Daniel pierce. Chad wingard. Ricky Henderson.

Also not that big.

Reply #447623 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Lance, you think it's "unnecessary and insulting" and that's your right, but not everyone agrees with you and the AFL is well within their right to use that dscription.

Reply #447632 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

He was good enough for Nbl teams, he could of
Played Nbl at the click of his fingers,

Reply #451220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dyson Heppell
Matthew Dea

not big either

Reply #451222 | Report this post

commonsense  
Years ago

yawn

Reply #451223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No chance Luxford would of played NBL. Maybe sat on the bench as a development player for a year or as training bait but nothing else. His shot is poor, fitness lacks and handle not in the ball park for NBL. OTHERWISE he would of already been on a team.

Reply #451227 | Report this post

MM  
Years ago

Luxford was a little small and slow for the next step. Bet his 'creator' Trevor Brunette would not be too happy that he left basketball.

God knows his got a eye for talent. I know it first hand that a current AIS player went down to the Werribee u18 & Youth League tryouts and was told by Trevor that he was not good enough. This was just 12 months ago. The player went back to his VYC club and averge 20 pts a game.

Nice work Trevor

Reply #451230 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:28 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754