FYI
Years ago

Recent Gibson 3 point shooting

Had a look at Adam Gibson's recent 3 point shooting form. Over the last 4 games he is a combined 2/19. The 36ers have traditionally been very competent from 3 but this season it seems to have become a secondary focus and we are suffering, still winning but i cant help but feel this is a small alarm bell ringing.

Topic #33299 | Report this topic

TP  
Years ago

Sorry don't think last post loaded here it is again

Fully agree! SO why with 27 seconds to go, and 3 points down last night against Townsville, Joey called the play at the time out - couldn't hear fully what was said up other than take the 3. Gibson takes a rushed shot and misses the lot?? Either he was asked to do so or the team didn't follow instructions. At 2/19 wouldn't think he would be nominated surely? Why not go to our money man Ervin? He hit HIS 3 pointer at the last to give us a chance. They must fix this problem of executing critical plays if they want to challenge in the finals !

Reply #448716 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

Gibson has always been sporadic offensively as far as I have ever seen. I don;t think showing his 3 point numbers is really a reflection of the team as a whole.. there are plenty of capable 3 point threats on the team.. the ball probably wasn't meant to go to him on that play anyways. Lets see how we go tonight.. Hoping for a big win.

Reply #448721 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Who are the plenty of capable three point threats on the team? Gibson would've been our best on paper and Petrie is below his best. Ervin is much improved but other than him the leaders are Cadee and Creek. None are above 40%. None are really huge threats.

Meanwhile, Perth have four guys above 40%.

Reply #448741 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

I suppose we have plenty who get hot on their night.. and you would expect one or two to come to the party each game. Wasn't Teys suppose to be our 3 point shot role player?... maybe time to gall the NG out of retirement.

Reply #448743 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

3 Point Shooting has not been a strength of the Sixers for a few seasons.

In 2008/09, the Sixers had 4 over 40. Ballinger 48.5%, Holmes 40.8%, Maher 40.3%, Davidson 40.2%, oh and some dude with a funny haircut and beard - Burdon 75%!

Reply #448745 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Gibson - 3/5 vs Cairns yesterday

Reply #448837 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Re 36ers as a 3-pt shooting team. 36ers take teh fewest 3 pt shots per game in the league (16 vs league average of 31 and Perth with highest average of 26). 36ers have the second-lowest 3pt percentage (32.0% vs league average of 35.0%, Sydney with lowest of 30.1% and Perth with highest of 39.5%).

Re credible 3 pt threats on the 36ers, Jason Cadee is our best this season (46.2%) and is ranked 6th in the NBL. Gary Ervin is next best at 38.8% (15th in the league) then Mitch Creek at 31.8% (28th in the league).

This season, it's fair to say we have 2 players who can reliably hit the 3 and one of those is in the top echelon of 3 point shooters in the NBL. Beyond that, we lack reliable 3 point shooters.

Gibson's 3pt percentage for this season is down from last season but on a par with the previous season and 2009-10 season. He had a patch of 3 good seasons from 2006-07 to 2008-09, since which his 3 pt shooting has been so-so and less consistent. I think it's fair to say you wouldn't hire him primarily for his 3 pt shooting.

Reply #448851 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

This season, it's fair to say we have 2 players who can reliably hit the 3 and one of those is in the top echelon of 3 point shooters in the NBL. Beyond that, we lack reliable 3 point shooters.
I wouldn't consider many of them especially reliable and wouldn't have any in the top echelon even if current stats have them there.

That said (and that previous paragraph sounds a bit harsh), I have been keen to see Cadee's three start dropping as it's been something missing from his game.

Reply #448978 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:43 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754