Isaac
Years ago

Kings vs Hawks, Dec 14

Close game at half time. Young started strongly.

Topic #33354 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't get live stats for this game.....

Reply #449808 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, not working for me either.

Reply #449809 | Report this post

Rick  
Years ago

Does anyone else cringe when the court announcer tries to get the "Defense" chant going? I don't want to be told when and what to chant. On defense just play music which builds as the time runs down or a beat that encourages the defense chant voluntarily.

I am calling for the court announcer led "Defense" chant to be banned at all Australian venues!

Reply #449811 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Is the NBL.tv feed quite 'dark' for anyone else?

Reply #449813 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Sorry, but Young is no Ennis...getting less every game IMO.
Maybe enjoying Sydney town too much?
Heard it was a Board selection anyway.
Bad news when that side gets over involved in areas in which they have NO knowledge.

Reply #449814 | Report this post

lel  
Years ago

lol spoke to soon bowtie ? strong idiot

Reply #449815 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Still think he's no Ennis.
Stats are better than I thought but he's not winning games like Ennis.

Reply #449816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Score?

Reply #449817 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hawks were down I think 9 or so but won by six. Tiggs was decent while Young and Garlepp did most of the second half work for Sydney.

Reply #449818 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

kings lost by 6.
They just aren't settled with Young.That's my gripe.
Is it totally Heal's problem? Tough if you didn't pick the guy.

Reply #449819 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

How many did Tiggs get?

Reply #449821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Court announcers are not allowed to be spuikers in the NBL, yet it's allowed year after year.

Reply #449823 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Breakers now bottom of the ladder. Hawks' games against Melbourne coming up will be crucial for both teams. Looking like it will be a tight race for the final couple of finals positions.

Reply #449833 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

The Hawks, realistically, aren't going to challenge for a playoffs position. They are pretty much resigned to nuisance value this season, as much as I like the club.

Reply #449834 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Sydney are lucky to still be in the top 4. Young can score there's no doubting that but without a point guard Sydney don't look like they have a clue. Madgen, Carmouche and Ogilvy are all scoring less since Sanders departure.

Reply #449839 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

@statsheet
"The Hawks, realistically, aren't going to challenge for a playoffs position."
They could realistically win 5 of their next 7 games.
Is it unrealistic for the Breakers and Taipans to challenge for playoffs?

Reply #449842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Hawks will be lucky to be around next season.

Reply #449843 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Sixties, Wollongong simply doesn't have the firepower. The only reason they are two in a row is because Sydney is a team in transition and as a result, the worst team in the league. You cut off the head (Clarke) and they are absolutely useless.

If New Zealand don't find something within the first two games after the break, they're finished.

How can you even entertain the thought of writing off Cairns? They win today and they're 5-7, with a faltering Sydney in fourth at 5-6. The two main Taipans rivals are Townsville and Sydney, and they are both declining.

Reply #449844 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Cairns lose today and they are 4-8 and to play Perth next week. Wollongong split one of the games against Melbourne next round, they are 5-8 with their main rivals being Sydney and Townsville.
Cairns have to play 3 games in 5 days and will be doing well to win 1 of them so realistically they could be 4-11 or 5-10 at best.
If Townsville beat Adelaide again and then Melbourne (both Croc home games) are they still declining? Bear in mind the Crocs loss to the Tigers last night came after playing the night before.
All based on if's, maybe's, could've, should've, all of which don't win you games.

Reply #449852 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Had Hawks picked for last a few weeks ago, but you just cannot write off a Gordie team so quickly. Ignoring that Perth drubbing, they got close twice in Adelaide, were in the mix hosting Perth and NZ despite being without Larry and have now beaten Sydney home and away. Not to mention the win in Cairns. When other teams are faltering, they will find ways to drag them into their game and surprise them. The couple of games against Melbourne will be very interesting.

Reply #449854 | Report this post

Community  
Years ago

Gordie spontaneously called as many travelling Hawks fans he could see to celebrate the win in the Hawks locker room after the game. #community

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=560188684056875

Reply #449855 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

agree with Isaac reg Melb games.
Soild structures from Gordie vs the inconsistent Tigers. You can't write off the Hawks.

Reply #449856 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You cant write anyone off, almost every game is close and it really is who turns up to play the most on the night or who makes the plays down the stretch that gets the W.

Reply #449858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boxscore

http://www.sportingpulse.com/round_info.cgi?a=MATCH&fixture=428919061&c=0-189-88243-276108-19755588&pool=-1

Reply #449862 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Well I'm writing off Wollongong. They'll be lucky to win three of their next seven and won't get within four games of the playoffs.

Reply #449864 | Report this post

JW21  
Years ago

Same old story, Kings over promise and under deliver.
Disappointing result in front of a good crowd.
Sam Young is clearly a cut above the competition but the rest of the team looks a mess, bar Ogilvy.
Carmouche is not a pg. Madgen is overrated.
Not sold on Heal as a coach.
Also, is a 15 year old school boy running the Kings Facebook admin lol - enough with the Sam Young/Lebron photo! We get it, he played in the NBA.

Reply #449870 | Report this post

commonsense  
Years ago

totally agree with jw21. Sydney are a mess, Heal is a joke and I see them sliding out of top 4

Reply #449872 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I feel for Ogilvy, he came into this league to stake his claim as a Boomer once again and pre Sam Young he looked jovial, brilliant and like he was worth a mention in the Boomers squad and now he looks like giving him a new car wouldn't make him smile, he looks so frustrated and uninfluential on the offensive end.

I hope someone can get in his ear and he can look like he's enjoying the game again, sure he isn't getting the calls he once was and maybe someone in a kings uniform should make it their job to get him the ball down low!

I had tipped Wollongong to scrape into the playoffs and sadly they aren't anywhere near as good as I has expected and although Rotnei is an undoubted star he hasn't absolutely gone off on anyone but he should be around long enough to win more games off his own hand. I love Kevin Tiggs, I think he is exciting and great to see his shot dropping and the post game interview with him was great, glad he is having fun.

Now as for Sam Young; in 5 years time will he be remembered like Johnny Flynn?
As a man highly skilled in this sport but you wouldn't consider him an out and out winner now would you?

Reply #449936 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Well I'm writing off Wollongong. They'll be lucky to win three of their next seven and won't get within four games of the playoffs.
Hawks next seven games:

@ Melbourne
vs Melbourne
vs Perth
@ Cairns
vs Cairns
@ New Zealand
vs Melbourne

All loseable, sure, but five are a reasonable chance.

Three of those games are against teams below them on the ladder. Along with Perth and Adelaide, Wollongong have played the most road games of any team. 2-2 at home (including Perth and NZ) and 2-5 on the road including Adelaide, Adelaide, Perth and NZ.

Last game in Melbourne was a five point loss, without Davidson.

After that run of seven games, they still have Townsville three times and Sydney again.

Reply #449951 | Report this post

JW21  
Years ago

I can only imagine what is going through Ogilvy's head! Once touted a first round NBA draft pick but plays second fiddle to far less talented and effective players.
Anybody that plays big minutes in an Eastern conf final, matched up against Lebron James is a winner in my eyes. With his body and athleticism it makes me wonder what he is doing in the NBL. Seems like a nice guy too, the way he carries himself so I'd be surprised if it was an attitude/behavioural issue. Flynn's had injury problems. I doubt that we would have ever seen him in the NBL if he had been healthy.

Reply #449995 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

I would be writing off Cairns before Wollongong. 5 of those games definately winnable for the Hawks.
Cairns should (note: should) lose to Perth and then have to travel to Sydney who will be looking to prove doubters wrong.

Reply #450001 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Yeah I know all that, Isaac. I just don't rate Wollongong. Good luck to them though, I do have a soft spot for the Hawks.

The jury is still on on the Taips as well.

Reply #450004 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ogilvy averaging 7 PPG since Young came in for Sanders. Just isn't getting anywhere near the shots.

Reply #450007 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Up until 2pm Sunday Cairns had been the form team for the previous couple of weeks, taking number one Perth to OT, beating number 2 Adl by 20 and then beating Tsv (ok, no big deal there). They are definitely more of a threat than Hawks and I'd still have them going as high as 3 behind Perth and Adl.

Reply #450009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In my opinion Kings are at the cross roads at the moment on & off the court.

-ON THE COURT:

*Heal sacked Sanders which a blind person would
of done knowing they didn't have a backup point
guard.

*They have lost twice in a row to the Hawks which
has made the owners question Heal's coaching and
to Please Explain what the Hell is going on..

*Sam Young is a great addition to the team but it
has destroyed team chemistry.

*Losing Sanders has left them with NO floor leader.

*Ogilvy getting limited shots and showing
frustration.
*No Kings player is contracted for next season.

*Carmouche no existent as a point guard

*Kings are in serious doubt of making the finals.

*Heal been informed if they miss out on the finals
his contract will not be renewed.

-OFF THE COURT:

*Kings office is a circus with internal fighting
amongst office staff and NO leadership.

*Membership numbers are disgraceful low

*Rumours the Owners have been searching for
investors to buy the Kings which is why all the
players contract end in June 2013!

NOT GOOD...

Reply #450037 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

That's not very good news if true, it's just that some holes are in your statements... It was managements decision which import to let go, and also, Cody Ellis is contracted for this season and next...

Reply #450063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If there is a next season would be fantastic

Reply #450068 | Report this post

JW21  
Years ago

Not entirely surprised by the on court performance. Heal is being exposed as a coach.

The off court drama is written on the wall. Rarely make the paper, haven't seen them on the 6pm news this season, small crowds, zero atmosphere, boring brand of basketball, team has no personality or identity and the general lack of professionalism demonstrated across the board recently.

Sooner or later the guys paying the bills will be asking questions.

Reply #450076 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

I've probably heard more about the Kings in mainstream news sports reports in recent weeks than I have at any time since their return. Admittedly, the news hasn't been good with pre-game talk of "redemption" for previous losses & post-game being reports of yet another loss. Young was featured in reports when he first arrived but the media seem to have lost interest if him.

Reply #450088 | Report this post

JW21  
Years ago

The recent Sam Young arrival triggered some interest but the media falls out of love with you quickly in Sydney if you don't produce wins immediately.
It is actually quite frustrating as a basketball fan in Sydney, off season/pre season footy news gets way more coverage than a national competition that is in full swing.
It is as bad as I ever recall it, I have checked for game report write ups the day after a game and nothing on a few occasions, doesn't even surprise me anymore.

Reply #450102 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Bring back Sanders !!! As Julia Roberts said in Pretty Woman when she returned to the shop that thought she wasn't good enough, she returned armed with loads of bags from elsewhere .... BIG MISTAKE, BIG !!!!

Reply #450106 | Report this post

JW21  
Years ago

Sanders was a massive balls up!
Feel for Carmouche too, he has been a shooting guard his whole life, he's on his first professional job, brought in as a scorer and then told to play point guard. That's like moving Nathan Merritt to halfback lol.

Reply #450111 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Statsheet Stuffer earlier in this thread:

@ Melbourne - leading late in fourth, narrow road loss
vs Melbourne - lost in double OT
vs Perth - won in OT
@ Cairns - won up in Cairns
vs Cairns
@ New Zealand
vs Melbourne

Unlucky not to win one or both of those Melbourne games. Currently in the batch of teams on six wins while only Townsville is off the pace.

Hawks doing OK all things considered.

Reply #452471 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:17 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754