bg04
Years ago

Deng to wear #9 for Cavs

Matthew dellavedova has agreed to give Deng number 9 since he has worn it since he was a kid and he is one of nine kids. What number will Delly wear??

Topic #33464 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #451941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #451947 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Reply #451949 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Reply #451962 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Changing number mid-season is poor form and I didn't think it was allowed. Reminds me of a certain player named Michael who did that.

Reply #451969 | Report this post

David97  
Years ago

My guess would be #4, since that's what he wore in his college days. I'm pretty sure no one else on the Cavs has it.

Reply #451971 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

He tweeted he will be wearing #8

Reply #451972 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

I went home sick from work when I found this out, I was so mad at Deng for asking Delly to do that. Half way home and I realised how much of an awesome teammate Delly must be to do this, so I turned around and went back to work.

Reply #452004 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Liddy needs to get a life.

Reply #452018 | Report this post

Scopes44  
Years ago

It is know for many years that during trades, numbers which new players want are sometimes already taken.
Usually there is a monetary arrangement - so the existing players sells his number. I read somewhere someone paid $30000 for his number when he was traded back in the 90's totally forgot the name.
I hope Delly got a little something for this.
Great teammate.

Reply #452021 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

probably didnt get much.. he is just a rookie trying to do the right thing and not create any waves

Reply #452023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think he would have much choice - it would have already been discussed as part of the trade - I would have liked delly to go back to number 4

Reply #452040 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

I would've liked the number Delly wore to not be such a big deal.

Reply #452048 | Report this post

kason jidd  
Years ago

"It was one of the hardest things I had to do. I knew I had to speak to him at some point," Deng said. “I think we sat in the locker room for a little while looking at each other. It was almost like we were about to break up. It was really hard, but he's such a nice guy. He gave me the number. I’m definitely going to have to pay him back for that. It’s really nice of him to do that. I told him that if the number meant something really strong for him, I would pick something else.”

Reply #452082 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

poor form from deng.

Reply #452098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly and Mills, both wearing '8'

How will be tell them apart>?

Reply #452113 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Perhaps Delly doesn't care what number he wears he is just happy to be in NBA if he and Deng worked it out then so be it.

Reply #452124 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not sure that Delly would've been fussed. Can't imagine his playing number is a big part of his identity and game.

Reply #452131 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

But what about all the sold Delly jerseys? Would be a real collector's item now...

Reply #452140 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

This is yet another reason you have to respect Delly.

I imagine Delly as more a basketball intellectual who isn't very superstitious and wouldn't feel too attached to a playing number. Although I should cite this from a St Mary's article about basketball superstitions:

"Matthew Dellavedova, aka Delly, claims he doesn't do anything too crazy but admits, "I have a Wolverine figure that one of the coaches' sons gave me and I make sure I put his claw's out when it's time for the game."

So long as Deng doesn't touch his Wolverine figure, he should be alright.

Reply #452208 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:20 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754