Anonymous
Years ago

Kristina Keneally takes 6 month leave of absence

Couldn't see a thread on this yet. AS reported by Roy Ward, Kristina Keneally has taken a six month leave of absence from BA and is supposedly returning in July. Thoughts?

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/basketball-australia-boss-kristina-keneally-has-taken-leave-20140113-30qvc.html

Topic #33501 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Thoughts? It says personal matter which implies health or some other personal matter. What's the point in speculating?

Reply #452624 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Graeme Allen is stepping into the role in her absence.

Reply #452630 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Will this mean BA will function even worse over the next 6 months? If that's possible. Seriously unless there is some sort of overhaul our sport will never reach the levels it should, KK's leave (as unfortunate as it may be, i hope things aren't too bad) makes things worse.

Basketball has the NBA as a global brand, our national league which used to prosper, massive grass roots participation, Olympic games exposure which other sports do not, and also the NCAA pathway for talented Aussies, how it's barely even a second tier sport in this country says a lot about the management for the last 15 years.

I know i'm sounding like so many others before me, but seriously, what next for this 6 month's and then beyond?

Reply #452633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting. That's a very long period for leave.

Graeme is a good replacement. He has a solid track record at Dandenong.

Reply #452636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this like an import being sent home with an 'injury' even though they are not injured?

Gardening leave while a replacement is found.

Apologies if there is a legit personal matter to attend to, although how would it be known that 6 months is long enough, or too much time?

Reply #452639 | Report this post

NSW Gov  
Years ago

She is taking leave because she is being implicated in dodgy government dealings while NSW Premier. Doubt she is involved but she has to defend herself in court. Graeme Allen will be a good replacement.

Reply #452641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BA are no better or no worse under Kristina. BA are what they are.

Reply #452642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She was always going to leave when she had to give up the NBL.

Reply #452653 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

‏@andrewbogut
WOW, never have I seen a company/federation/org grant a newly hired CEO (less than 2 years on the job) 6 MONTHS PAID LEAVE. #sameoldsameold

You know it must be important news when the great minds of basketball start weighing in on twitter about it.

Reply #452659 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

When your greatest active player is calling shenanigans and disharmony isnt that a pretty good indicator of a problem?

Reply #452676 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Is it paid leave though? The article doesn't seem to mention that.

Reply #452678 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Mick - i don't think so. You are attributing insight and knowledge to that player that we have no right to expect they have. Its like listening to Gaze, he has an opinion, but the basis for that opinion is not necessarily fantastic.

All that tweet shows is that someone doesn't understand leave of absence.

Reply #452686 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Strikes me as a rash and unsupportive tweet too unless he has more information than the article provided. Same sort of dissent from a cricket team member would make the papers and potentially lead to disciplinary action?

Don't think we'll ever see that with Bogut though - Boomers at his mercy more or less.

Reply #452690 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

HO, that is a very polite way of saying that Bogut is dumber than a box of hammers.

Reply #452691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure i would call hammers stupid.

I have seen some of them stand up by themselves.

Estwing anyone?

Reply #452695 | Report this post

Anonas  
Years ago

Bogut cares. He could have just ignore it knowing he's already achieved the highest in basketball and getting paid million $$$.

He's known as conservative and haven't heard of being a pain.

He's right. 6 months paid leave for just under 2 year tenure. Who do we think will voice it out with respectable status as his? Glad he did.

Reply #452697 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Not at all situation. I mean what I said, i don't expect that Bogut is at all close to the issue, and I probably think he gone off half cocked - but i don't think he is dumb.

We have no idea what is going on here - there could be 50 reasons for asking for LOA. But, LOA means you are not paid, and Bogut is saying she is, he probably needs to apologise if he does have it wrong.

Reply #452699 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I agree with you, HO, I just happen to think he isn't very smart. The danger is, he has influence so his ill-informed comments translate to Anonas repeating it as gospel just above.

Reply #452700 | Report this post

Anonas  
Years ago

It is my view and all of us just couldn't be on the same page at all times. We're talking here about the basketball governing boy of Australia the BA.

Based on this news :

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/basketball-australia-boss-kristina-keneally-has-taken-leave-20140113-30qvc.html

..one could think that its not really her fault at all. She was rumoured to resign but was granted six month leave by BA anyway.

You want to stay good with anyone leaving for 6 months absence when actually she/he wants to leave for good originally. So be it. Now wonder how our basketball going on in the country.

Reply #452705 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Where does that article say that it was paid leave?

Reply #452706 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Good call Situation, his original tweet, which does appear to be inaccurate, has been retweeted 17 times. Gaze has informed him that BA have acted "compassionately" in this circumstance. I, like Isaac, don't care for the reasons, but I do care that the messaging is the right messaging.

The fact that BA don't appear to have announced this is pretty poor as well.

Reply #452707 | Report this post

Anonas  
Years ago

So, we dont have to question or give comments for Ms Keanelly's 6 months leave? We are no difference with North Korean Basketball League

Reply #452708 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Agree again, HO.

Reply #452709 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Anonas, you have missed the point.

Bogut's tweet is about what company would grant extended leave to a CEO of short tenure "SIX MONTHS PAID LEAVE". (his capitalisation and I can only presume for emphasis!).

You have perpetuated that yourself here.

Leave of Absence generally is unpaid.

If he has this wrong he needs to say sorry, and people who have retweeted and repeated it need to say sorry.

Reply #452711 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

LOA might generally be unpaid by us plebs in the real world paid by the hour, but for but for those living on a salary, their negotiation for payment while on leave are quite different.

Reply #452747 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I find Andrew Bogut far too opinionated.. I don't see how the situation at all effects him, or even deeply effects Basketball Australia. He thinks he has this right to tell everyone else what they should and shouldn't be doing yet is basically nowehere to be seen for the Boomers for almost a decade and the trend is looking to continue. I am sure he could be on the receiving end of some Tweets himself. Good player, Tough competitor, But I think he thinks he is Australias basketball god.

Reply #452750 | Report this post

asadabomber  
Years ago

Perhaps she is having a paid holiday with James hird...

Reply #452752 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Bogut is a stand up bloke and I think it pains him to come home and do interviews where he has to defend the state of basketball in Australia and from the outside it looks like another mess.

I wonder if the fact that Bogut hasn't played much for the Boomers as of late is affecting his relationship with BA and with KK?

What was the main focus of BA this time of year? WNBL or still Opals camp and Boomers or our basketballers abroad?

Reply #452765 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

If she is getting paid it smacks of poor form from BA...that said history tells us poor form is what they normally do.

I understand if it was "unpaid" as she might have issues and a leave period is fine but you cannot pay her to be at home!

BA isn't a major corporation that can afford to pay the CEO to take 6 months opff...once the leave entilitments are finished then it would go into the non-paid leave.

Reply #452767 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

As expected, it's a case of Bogut shooting off at the mouth without bothering about the facts:

Derwin and chief operating officer Graeme Allen are sharing Keneally's responsibilities during her absence.

"Let me say Kristina is on leave without pay and she is actually still assisting Scott and myself," Allen said on Tuesday.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/basketball/bogut-and-gaze-in-twitter-clash-over-basketball-australia-ceo-kristina-keneally-being-granted-six-months-leave/story-fni2u9cl-1226801740514

Reply #452774 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hopefully we'll see a retraction from Bogut. Fair to watch proceedings and comment (we all do it), but unfair to make that unqualified claim about paid leave without full knowledge or at least a later retraction.

He's painted BA poorly with that tweet, in front of 50,000 followers, many of who would be reasonably young and impressionable or buy whatever he's said. If it's happened for health or professional reasons and genuinely in the interest of BA too, why kick them when they're down? Boti has indicated that she's taken unpaid leave and will still be helping out while on leave - not really worth criticism I would've thought.

Reply #452778 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Time to open his mouth to change feet.

Reply #452780 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

"Without Pay" hey, do we believe that, politicians never lie do they, i suppose it's called telling only part of the truth.

Arrangements can be made like "James Hird wont be paid during his suspension", then he'll receive a lump sum instead.

Reply #452781 | Report this post

Pauly B  
Years ago

There's a back and forth on twitter between Bogut & Andrew Gaze regarding the situation. The chain starts here

https://twitter.com/andrewbogut/status/422921576095285248

Reply #452783 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bogut doesn't appear to be keen to tweet a retraction, digging his heels in.

Me:

@andrewbogut Boti Nagy has written that Keneally is on leave *without* pay for six months and will still be helping BA while away.
Boti:
@HoopsForum @andrewbogut She is on unpaid leave due to family situation. Confirmed it herself today with earlier tweet.
Bogut:
@boti_nagy @HoopsForum helps that proper facts come out...albeit a few days later. Thanks for follow up Boti.
Beth Davis beats me to it:
@andrewbogut @boti_nagy @HoopsForum to be fair, original article by @rpjward never said it was paid leave,so proper facts were already out
Me:
@andrewbogut Hopefully those only seeing your original tweet don't maintain the wrong idea. BA has issues, but tough to criticise this one.
Bogut to me:
@HoopsForum each to their own accord. My gripe isn't with KK. Its the whole 3 CEO's in 6 years, and how this has now been made public.
Bogut:
@boti_nagy @HoopsForum oh, and is it 6 months, or a "few months". #justsoimclear
(Roy Ward's original article had exact dates, Keneally's later tweet had "few".)

Reply #452791 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I would have bet money that he would shift the goalposts from his original criticism IN CAPS FOR EXTRA EMPHASIS!!!

Reply #452794 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If you hadn't already assumed he'd never step back, seeing him want to clarify "six months" vs "few months" tells you everything.

Boti has never been afraid to "slouch corrected" and Bogut could've borrowed something like that to ease the feel of retracting.

---

Giving up. He doesn't have the balls to retract or ability to see how his comment is unnecessarily damaging.

Reply #452796 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Poor form. Lots of comments on the Age from readers smacking BA for the "with pay" thing too.

Isaac made a good point yesterday about what would happen if this was a cricket player - difference is that in this case unlikely that Bogut is contracted to BA and therefore no capacity for enforcement.

His three CEO's in six years thing is crap spin as well. As I understand Larry replaced Derwin in 2009. Derwin was there close to a decade. Larry lasted 3 years and replaced by Keneally. That is not an unstable set of circumstances by any means. I can spin that as 3 CEO's in 14 years - and be far more accurate.

Finally, no matter how much he wants to spin it, his originally post, with EMPHASIS, was about the individual being PAID while on leave and whether any corporation would allow this - not about tenure of multiple CEO's - he derived to this later on.

Reply #452802 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"...or ability to see how his comment is unnecessarily damaging."

Agree. He uses his "I'm entitled to an opinion" excuse without realising that criticism, warranted or not, is far more damaging and far-reaching when it comes from him.

I had the same issue with Patty Mills during his brief stay with the Tigers. He was bagging the league for not advertising the pre-season tournament. When its star player is calling the league "a joke", what is the casual observer going to think, and what does it prove?

Reply #452807 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

There's a small paragraph on this story in The West Australian today. Quotes Bogut's tweet in its entirety and offers no other information.

Journalism!

Reply #452839 | Report this post

Anonas  
Years ago

they just could have let Ms. Keneally leave her post for good. Now Bogut the accuser becomes accused. The best thing we can is shed more light on the former NSW Premier's leave of absence and then Bogut's accusation.., technically this should be the order of argument or discussion. But we're pressing more on Bogut instead, an obvious defensive effort.

Reply #452854 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Exactly. We're pressing more on Bogut.

It's better when you hear it than when you read it.

Reply #452864 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wouldn't encouraging Keneally to leave for good be exactly what Bogut is complaining about with his "three CEOs in x years" comment?

He's said it's not about KK but BA. So, were they meant to pre-empt her request for personal leave and deny her the position for something unforeseen?

Reply #452874 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

CEO is salary for function. Not hourly pay with weekly tasks. For the next 6 months BA losers and then needs to use other staff to cover. NBL has taken over mens basketball. No new things in past 6 months, so in the next 6 months the CEO has done what for basketball?

Reply #452884 | Report this post

Anonas  
Years ago

there you go. now let's back to the ball game.

Reply #452886 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Anonas is changing the goalposts to suit too.

Reply #452897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't be too harsh on her. look at all the great things she has done for Aus basketball. There is??? and??? Hang on give me a sec I will think of something!!

Reply #452911 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Anonas.

Your response is that Bogut doing what he did this is Keneally's fault? And your basis for doing this is the journalists rumour that she was going to resign anyway?

Seriously. Is that how your mind works?

It's not a defensive effort, a defensive effort might be to play up the reasons for her leave. Deflecting is a classic defensive strategy by the way - nice try.

Bogut has created the most news about this issue. And the news he created it appears is wrong.

Reply #452939 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

FM and #452911

In the past I have defended and attacked BA on this forum. I attempt to be reasonably objective. Lets balance out a couple of things.

In Keneally's time BA has:

- divested itself of the NBL, which might be seen as being as good for BA as it is supposedly going to be for the NBL.
- appointed full time Boomers and Opals coaches right through to RIO - something I cannot recall ever happening before and I think strategically gives us the very best chance of success there - an excellent and MAJOR change in my view (part of a significant changes to our high performance structure btw - all in the period of her engagement)
- secured a naming rights sponsor for the WNBL for a multi year deal

You cannot just say nothing has happened in her time. Its blind to do so.

I was enthusiastic about her appointment and have been disappointed with her performance overall. But I cannot say she has done nothing. A large part of her job is just running the business as well.

FM, I am not sure what you want BA to do. The CEO comes and asks (on compassionate grounds according to Gaze) for leave without pay. They grant it - senior staff and the chair step in to take up the slack - it happens. The acting CEO acknowledges that despite being on leave the CEO is still providing assistance. Just not sure what you think should have happened or what would have been a better scenario.

What BA handled REALLY poorly was how this got out.

Reply #452940 | Report this post

Anonas  
Years ago

Nice try HO. Hall Of?

Reply #453282 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Hall Oates?

Reply #453284 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:14 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754