Double Clutch
Years ago

Funny What's Hot/What's Not

BigDC got something for you

What's Hot:

• North winning! Means I don't have to take such high doses of valium this week!
  • The price of crack, which clearly must be going cheap if "sincere's"' late night post is anything to go by. The evidence is here.
  • Burdon scoring 20.
  • The Central District women's basketball team, the best pre-pubescent ABL team going around.
  • Erik B getting 20.
  • A freakish game from Jason Dix. He hasn't carved up Sturt like that since the Under 20 Winter Season Grand Final in 1993. 36, 19 and 6. Enough said. Great MVP race heating up between Oscar and Dix.
  • Big Burdon getting 20.
  • Sturt coach Alan Lee filling in his Woolacott vote-getting form: 1. Neal Bridgemann 2.Neal Bridgemann 3. Neal Bridgemann
  • Doesn't get mentioned much, but Erik B went for 20.
  • SA Metro v SA Country U16 Men showdown: Sunday, 10am at Wayville. Featuring Paul "Stalin" Arnott.
  • Those country bumpkins SA Country U16 girls defeating SA Metro U16 girls on Saturday, apparently.
  • Paul "Candy man" Prior, the only man with a lead single by 50 cent about him.
  • Jason "Panther" Baylis lasting over 2 minutes before picking up his first foul against Eastern.
  • Daniel Phillips 26 points, still scoring at a good clip.
  • David Bowley with 17 points and 18 rebounds leading Tigers to the win.
  • Hambour 24 and 12 with some nice videos to boot.
  • Jye Watson 36, 7 and 5 assists.
  • Brad Davis 23 points on 10/21 shooting v Woodville.
  • An addition; Cayla Francis going for 28 and 15 v Tracey Braitwaite, which equates to about the combined scoring of two Norwood women ABL matches.

What's Not:
  • The Woodville court announcer calling Luke Mapunda "Mr. Cool". If he's Mr. Cool you can call me Frank Sinatra bitches.
  • The Woodville music selection with one crap r 'n' b track after another. It felt more like a night out with Mark Davis at Club 33 than an ABL game.
  • Brad Davis not blocking out shooter on free throws. Drop him to reserves!
  • Sturt coach Alan Lee berating umpire Neal Bridgemann for AT LEAST half an hour after the game.
  • Dawsons Creek
  • Jason Baylis reciveing game MVP honours in the HoopsSA boxscore. Proof that the system is defective.
  • The Black Eye Peas.
  • Brad Bungey trying his hardest to gain the title of looselips from Hawkes with a tech against Woodville on the weekend.
  • Andrew Puddifoot shooting 2/12 for 6 points vs Eastern.
  • Jessie McCartney just for being a pretty-boy punk.

Token Asian of the week:
  • Goes to Darren Ng. Sturt's only Asian player and maybe the Central ABL only Asian player wins the award with 33 points as Sturt go down to Forestville.

Find of the week:
  • Ben Madgen for Eastern. 16 points in the first half on his way to 28 on 9/13 shooting with 7 rebounds in 29 minutes. His biggest game yet? Certainly a gem of a performance to help end Eastern's losing streak and to rise to fame with BigDC's find of the week.

Flop of the week:
  • I know this is too obvious due to his high standards he sets for himself but hands down its Oscar Forman for flop of the week. Going for 0 points and 1 rebound in the second half Oscar racked up 11 and 7 on 5/16 shooting in 42 minutes. At least if Baylis played 42 minutes he would commit about 18 fouls and be called for about five. Might even miss a lay-up or two. Shit in 42 minutes Mike Mckay would at least break both his hips and lose control of his bladder at least once which makes for some entertaining viewing. Oscar = flop.

Cash for comments section:
  • Yes the list is going commercial. For the price of a tank of petrol and a bottle of Johnny Walker I will praise random hacks every week in this space. This week's hack is Dean Nyberg from Forestville. If you weren't blinded by his amazing playing ability you'll be amazed by his coaching ability. Some highlights include his courtside demeanor, which consists of wearing army boots and marching up and down the sidelines screaming "play faster" thru a megaphone which is a style I will hope to incorporate into my coaching style in the future. His trainings are also thinly veiled sweat shop sessions, where Dean plays a drum at the front of a basketball hall demanding his players make four hundred Gucci wallets to be on the streets of Hong Kong by the weekend, which is a coaching plan Paul Arnott personally approved. As a great player and coach it's no wonder Dean is known as The Complete Package on the streets. If any players, coaches or parents wish to bribe me, just look for the token Asian sitting in the corner of Hillcrest stadium and approach the charming white man sitting next to him with a brown bag of crisp $100 bills.

Topic #3354 | Report this topic

Jason "Panther" Baylis lasting over 2 minutes before picking up his first foul against Woodville.

South didn't play Woodville this week!

Reply #38629 | Report this post

Satish Dogra  
Years ago

What's Barely Believable:

C. Wood playing 13 mins for the Eagles on the weekend and recording exactly ZERO fouls.

Reply #38630 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Yeah that would be Eastern.

Reply #38631 | Report this post

cavalo  
Years ago

Double Clutch - I've been reading your stuff for weeks now and this week you have just taken the potof gold at the end of the rainbow for this performance - well done!

You had in stitches!

If only I got out more and could witness a portion of what goes on in the ABL scene (in the manner that you describe it of course!)

Thanks for the great reports every week - Keep it up!

Reply #38633 | Report this post

cavalo  
Years ago

I better correct that one...

you had ME in stitches

oops..

Reply #38634 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

ELG -- JB is so rough that he gets called for fouls in other games... ;)

Dougie's award this week absolutely must go to Simon Kent -- 5 fouls in 8 minutes of court time.

The Layup That Should've Been a Dunk award goes to Matt Elder vs the Mavericks.

BTW, best ever Hot/Not I think. Great work.

To all, if you were wondering about DC's nickname before he assumed his current role, I think it takes the cake (and eats it too) -- this man is a true believer in giving yourself a nickname (or two) before someone else does. Care to reveal Mr Clutch?

Reply #38636 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

You mean CBD? Because I'm all business.

Reply #38642 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

great list DC! Good to see you ease up on McKay this week also.

Reply #38644 | Report this post

SKYHOOK  
Years ago

I played with a guy who used to call himself C.O.D - "cash on delivery ... he was a real tool .. he shot nothing like his nickname would suggest.. He now plays football and his name rhymes with logan! ;)

Reply #38645 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

On this subject cash for comments.

Reply #38649 | Report this post

on looker  
Years ago

Whats hot
Marc Wallis' girlfriend at his engagement party wow

Reply #38663 | Report this post

say what!  
Years ago

Not:
North only getting Centrals by 7 when Centrals didn't have Reggie and Wilkiy played 11 mins - hardly convincing but North now look finals bound

Reply #38664 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Hot - Crusher's block against Southern. Big fella's still got it!

Reply #38665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

that was a big block, poor Woody! - still Southerns ball from baseline

Reply #38666 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

What's Hot : JB's performance against Eastern, definite MVP performance...
What's Not : DC's sight and his obvoius problem that he can't see the true MVP performance from Panther! He was simply inspired from his recent "Flop of the week" nomination...

Reply #38676 | Report this post

Satish Dogra  
Years ago

Hey onlooker (#38663),

Does Marc Wallis' fiancee know his girlfriend went to the engagement party? :)

Reply #38689 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

What's Hot:
Matt Gange hitting 6 of 7 threes!

Reply #38693 | Report this post

realist  
Years ago

Girlfriend/fiancee - same person

Reply #38697 | Report this post

Satish Dogra  
Years ago

Thanks for clearing that up for me, Realist, and shutting my cutting-edge "wink-wink, nudge-nudge" attempt at humour right down. Good work.

Reply #38716 | Report this post

Manute Bol  
Years ago

Chin up Satish. You're still the man!

Reply #38717 | Report this post

Vincent Vega  
Years ago

Satish, next time you should use one of these: :)

:)

Reply #38720 | Report this post

Satish Dogra  
Years ago

That's easy to say, Manute, but you've never been shut down on here because you're so awesome. It's tough if you're a mere mortal.

As for little smiley face thingies, like any man, I struggle to express my emoticons a lot of the time. It's really quite depressing. :(

Or do I mean :)

Reply #38730 | Report this post

Mr Blackwell  
Years ago

What's Not:

Courtside fashions. Please, please leave the ugh boots at home. I'm on my knees, here. Begging you.

And track pants are only acceptable if you've just finished playing a game yourself. Otherwise, you're out in public, and trackies should not be seen!

Reply #38871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

damn you mean I need to revamp my wardrobe?

Reply #38873 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

All the looselips talk is bullshit about brad bungey, i can understand his frustration, big men get circled out all the time, get fouls that aren't there, then fags start talkin shit. he is one the leagues up & coming stars, u better keep your eye on him.

Reply #39144 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

I don't mind you insulting me, but there is no reason why you have to demean gay people Brad.

Reply #39169 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Where's this week's What's Hot, What's Not list DC? Everyone's waiting with baited breath...

Reply #39460 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:11 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754