Anonymous
Years ago

David Andersen sets sights on Rio Olympics

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/veteran-basketballer-david-andersen-sets-sights-on-rio-olympics-20140116-30xqq.html

Australian basketballer David Andersen believes a self-imposed playing hiatus has added years to his career.

Andersen has resisted contract offers since August last year, but has now set his sights on a return to elite basketball and a spot at the Rio Olympics in 2016.......

Andersen worked with three trainers to get rid of the ''wear and tear'' he was feeling in his body and on Thursday started training with Melbourne Tigers to regain his competitive touch.

Topic #33558 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The question is will this hiatus reduce the softness he plays with when it comes to representing Australia.

Reply #453867 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I have always been an Andersen fan and if he can make Rio team at 36 then good luck to him. Does anyone think he wil come back to NBL next year?

Reply #453872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't know if you are aware but he was our third highest scorer and leading rebounder at the 2012 London Olympics.

He has always been an excellent player for the Boomers.

Go Dave!

Reply #453873 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He hasnt always been an excellent player for the Boomers IMO, but his last two major tournaments have been very solid.

There are rumours he is about to sign with Strasbourg in France.

Reply #453875 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

If he makes the Olympics team then something is seriously wrong with Lemanis' program...

Reply #453887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good on him. If he proves himself good enough to make the team, great. If not, its good to see someone who loves to play get a second wind.

Reply #453890 | Report this post

Rick  
Years ago

I was the first to knock David Anderson playing for the Boomers but the last 2 championships he has been in our best 3 or 4 players. I am still the first to knock David Barlow playing for the Boomers.

Reply #453892 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

He should focus on 2014 team if Bogut and Jawai don't play we will look a bit thin up front imo

Reply #453895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's the most frustrating boomer to watch. Hopefully he gets a call today telling him not to bother

Reply #453897 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Absolutely wouldn't mind him as an experienced head on the end of the bench. A guy who can provide a bit of an X-Factor off the bench as well with the range on his jump shot.

Reply #453902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I could see him making the WC team this year only because Bogut hasn't played for us in 6 years, Jawai might still be injured and Nielsen has retired.

2016 Olympics? Wouldn't even consider him.

Reply #453920 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

The anon above makes a valid point, if there is no Bogut, Jawai or Andersen then we would likely have Ogilvy, Maric and Motum instead. At least we still have Baynes.

Reply #453924 | Report this post

El Diablo  
Years ago

Stop hating on him.

What other bigman has PROVEN that he can hit jump shots consistently in international tournaments.

Be angry if he is playing more than 15 mins a night

Reply #453935 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Jawai is working to get in shape for the 2014 worlds.. I think if David continues to show he can contribute he should get atleast a camp invite. Could do a lot worse then have a guy with his kind of shooting ability and experience in the team. I don't see any outside shooting centers taking his place any time soon... Tell me, Who do we have at center who can hit the 3 who isn't named David Anderson?

Reply #453961 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Andersen has been good for the Boomers IMO. With Andrew Bogut often out injured (or is unavailable) he's stepped up and given us a genuine centre when we've needed it.

Question. When both Bogut and Andersen retire, who is going to step up as the Boomers centre?

Reply #453965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Baynes
Jawai
Maric
Ogilvy
DJ
Knight
Nevill
Khazzouh

Reply #453967 | Report this post

Peppy La Phew  
Years ago

David Anderson is off to play for the frogs in France:Strasbourg France Pro A.

Reply #453974 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

Unlike others, I await to see how he returns to local comps before I will judge him. If his body is feeling good and he can keep up the tempo he could be a great addition. If the break didn't work then well, at least he tried!

Reply #453975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonymous is forgetting Isaac Humphries, Cam Bairstow, and Thon Maker (maybe?)

However.. You can subtract DJ, Maric, Nevill and Khazzouh. Knight would probably be undersized but cant argue with him being the 3rd big on the bench with say Jawai/Humphries or whatever the line up will be by that time.

Reply #453976 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

GWB why is it important at all for the centre to be able to hit a three? That's just an added bonus. There's enough guards and wingmen who should be hitting the 3. First and foremost the centre needs to be able to rebound!

Reply #453985 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

The criticism of Andersen is really dated and is not warranted of late. Andersen was just underwhelming (or at least under-performing compared to his Euro form) at the beginning of his Boomers career, but his last couple major tournaments have been very good. We can't expect him to suddenly become a rebounder when he puts on a Boomers singlet. That has never been his game. His game relies of good post moves and some impressive shooting clips with range. He has been a strong offensive presence, and considering how much Bronn's Boomers struggled at that end, we needed that desperately. I think it will all come down to his form leading up to the major tournaments and the balance of the rest of the team. I admire him for wanting to still put on a Boomers singlet this late in his career. So many aging stars retire from internationals too soon.

Reply #453989 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

completely with rjd.. you have a healthy, relatively young Bogut shirking the team and you have Anderson willing to jump in at 36.

I think he is atleast worth a look..

As for the ability to shoot 3.. sure its not the main ability for a center but it gives the team the ability to draw out the opposition big men and have them defending away from the basket so we can capitalise on getting offensive boards and stuff.. We have some solid PF's and stuff who can grab boards for when Anderson is on the floor.

I wouldn't call him a lock.. but you would give it a look and see how he fits in with the team at the time. I definitely don't think hes ready to be put out to pasture

Reply #453990 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Looking at the centre position as it stands Andersen is still very much in the mix with Bogut (availability), Jawai (fitness), and Baynes our top tier. He might not play as many minutes but still could bring value to the team imo. That he can hit 3s is a bonus but not a necessity for a centre.

Reply #453991 | Report this post

LOL  
Years ago

straya suck at da 2016 lympix we need marty fkn ellis

Reply #454003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rio Starters

PG: Dellavedova
SG: Mills
SF: Exum
PF: Maker
C: Bogut

Anderson will get a silver medal but will ride the bench. Potentially 3 NBA All Stars + 2 solid NBA starters as the front line for the Boomers in 2016.

Reply #454004 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"GWB why is it important at all for the centre to be able to hit a three?"

Because if other teams have stretch bigs (which many do) and you dont, your defence has to work a lot harder than theirs to protect the rim.

Reply #454007 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"He's the most frustrating boomer to watch."

Incorrect. Matt Nielsen runs away with that honour.

Reply #454022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not that I'm a big DJ fan, but the question was asked earlier: who else at centre can hit the 3 and stretch defence? Well DJ can do that.

Reply #454033 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

You could throw in Simmonds to the RIO team aswell.

Might be a bit early for him but could still make an impact

Reply #454035 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Imo Simmons will be able to contribute in Rio though not necessarily as a starter

Reply #454040 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

No longer a rumour: Andersen has in fact signed with Strasbourg.

Reply #454046 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I assume he's the replacement for Alexis Ajinca.

Reply #454057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A centre who doesn't rebound? No thanks.

Reply #454077 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:14 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754