anon
Years ago

Junior Basketball Tournaments

I was looking at taking a young and inexperienced group of players to the nunawading tournament but after some thought they may not be that competitive
what are some other tournaments that are well run that i could look at
i know there use to be one in mildura and ballarat
are they still running and are they any good?
is there any other tournament that are run on that june long weekend?
any advice and links would be great

Topic #33581 | Report this topic

nunawading is more competitive than mildura or ballarat - last year mildura was cancelled in several grades - we were ready to go.

just depends on what grade ytou go in nunawading as to how competitive.

Reply #454513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps contact Basketball Australia and ask for their advice:

www.basketball.net.au

Reply #454521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you're director of coaching has any idea try them. If they dont speak to coaches around you club or state that have a clue.

Reply #454523 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Consult your Coaching Director. Depends what you want to achieve.

If they are young and inexperienced, sometimes a lower graded tournament can help build their confidence, particularly if they are winning less than 30% of games ATM, by allowing them to win a few games and build confidence. Sometimes a big fish in a small pond shows them what they can do.

If they are winning over 50% of games but are lazy and need a push, a higher graded tournament can push them to strive for better. Particularly if they play some tight games against some more fancied opponents.

Reply #454535 | Report this post

AJ  
Years ago

I agree with Jack. We went to Nunawading last year and my daughter was in a team that rarely won in district but they got into a lower division at the tournament and they went onto win the whole thing.

It was nice to see the group win games, they always have fun but for the amount of work and trainings they do it was nice to see them have success.

If you nominate in the right division you should be fine at the Nunawading tournament.

Reply #454542 | Report this post

mick  
Years ago

Over Easter there is the easter egg classic held in Canberra. Contact basketball ACT for details.

Reply #454549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We went to the Mildura June long weekend carnival our girls are a Div 2 team we didnt win any games but most games were close, the girls and the parents had a fantastic time up there we were treated great by the locals plus they had a masters games comp for about 10 teams of oldies playing and it was great to watch some of the older guys who you could tell have played at a high level before. They were great with the kids and I think the Bar at the end of the main court made a MASSIVE profit that weekend.Weekend was just as good for the families as it was for the players.

Reply #454566 | Report this post

AJ  
Years ago

Have heard good things about the Mildura carnival.

Reply #454570 | Report this post

mildura could not even offer a game for our age group last season due to lack of interest. people took time off and had made accommodation plans all to have it called off and only after we chased them as what was going on.

Reply #454575 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:07 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754