Ryan
Years ago

36ers Average Crowd Numbers Is Up

Found this interesting.

36ers last season averaged around 4339 supporters a game. This year (so far) the club has been able to get an average of 5454 per game. That's over 1000 more people attending a game on average.

Biggest crowd at a 36ers home game is 6676 against the Breakers in round 12.

Hopefully they can at least break the 7,000 mark this year (or better still sell-out the whole stadium).

I've been going to a lot more games this year than last but I've noticed the trend so far. Anyone else?

Topic #33582 | Report this topic

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Ask yourself, why are you going to more games this year than last? Then ask yourself, why don't you buy a season ticket and support your team every week?

Reply #454576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are winning lol

Reply #454577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's the capacity?

Reply #454580 | Report this post

7,100 i think - but the retracted seats (the old RAA spot) at the western end reduce that

Reply #454581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

7800 seats
8000 with standing

Reply #454582 | Report this post

Moneyballer  
Years ago

I think they should bring back the RAA spot and call it some thing else, that spot on the end looks too bare.

Reply #454583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Image how many they would get if they MARKETED the game.
Sadly NBL clubs don't know what that word means

Reply #454584 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

Yet sadly still 4000 short of perth crowds. No one comes close to those numbers !

Reply #454586 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

Marketing has been much much better than previous years. Seeing adverts during prime time is definitely a step forwards. I still think they need to market individual games.

Most importantly crowds aren't returning because the team is winning, they are returning because the game is exciting again. After several years of basketball/rugby players are finally being held accountable for blatant fouls and the game style and pace has increased which has improved the entertainment value.

Reply #454587 | Report this post

Ryan  
Years ago

@Wilson Sting - The main reason I didn't go a lot last season I just wasn't financially secure as I am this season (however I did watch as many games as I could on the NBLTV. On a side note I just spent big dollars on getting myself and 15 mates (who all haven't gone in a long time, or at all) Platinum tickets for an upcoming game. I've also converted a few other people into fans this season as well, by dragging them to the game despite their expectations and joyfully watch them come back time and time again for more games.

lol @Kev of cause, you have a brand new stadium.

You make some good points @Skud

Reply #454593 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

skud, fans are going because Joey has made the 36ers fun to watch AND they're winning games. The adjustment in how refs are calling it would not be a significant reason for crowds in Adelaide IMO.

Reply #454595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ryan, that's excellent mate. We need more fans like you.

Reply #454599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good on ya Kev. Add 4K to the Sixers numbers numbers and the Wildcats will be broke. By all accounts the crowd numbers at the Sixers don't support the player spend but that's a diff story.

BTW you do realise that the crowd numbers are generally a made up figure, possibly with the exception of the Hawks right now. Maybe the NBL needs to once and for all report on paying customers. Whether they turn up or not is incidental. Kings supposed to getting 2000 or so paying customers is poor.

Reply #454601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I understand the crowd numbers advertised at the 6ers are exactly what the ticketing company reports to the Club, what I don't know if the number is tickets sold or is it actual attendance

Reply #454602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some people think every crowd number everywhere is made up. Some people think man never made it into space. They might be right, who knows?

Reply #454616 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hawks numbers before this year were supposedly concocted. Sixers in the past have been but think they're reasonably accurate in recent years.

Reply #454624 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Do other leagues make up their own crowd numbers to make them look better? If the NBL do it, or have in the past, then Im sure the same goes for other leagues. And if thats the case, then so what if the NBL do it too?

In my observation, it doesnt look made up. Quite often I overestimate what a crowd figue might be, then find out its much less when it's reported.

Reply #454634 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

The Tour Downunder is under some heat at present for severely over estimating crowds and state financial benefits

I have no issue with a seat sold being the number quoted as that is the most important factor. Cash in the bank.

Reply #454636 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Ryan, I wasn't having a dig, good on you for taking your mates down, I hope they shout you a beer or eight.
I think the main reason crowds are returning is because of the winning.

Reply #454651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Historically crowd numbers have been made up over the years. The sensible approach now as some are now doing it to report accurately as Isaac has said.

Reply #454674 | Report this post

nailna3  
Years ago

furthermore, historically speaking; of the team loses from winnable positions or loses the vast majority of games, then people question why they spend $30 of their hard earned watching cap.

We all like winners, we hate losing but this seasons wins relate to crowd numbers up.

only issue which has some members a little annoyed is cheap seats for games. I get the half price deal and don't mind it myself but for the member who supports the club for the last decade, they get a discount of $30 odd. The average supporter who buys game tickets willy nilly, gets a better deal although seats are wherever u can find one.

averages out almost fair, but then again...im happy with 30 off, cos its an investment into pleasure, enjoyment and entertainment

Reply #454801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm a season ticket holder and I want them to keep discounting tickets. Now we are winning we need these casuals to see it and get hooked in. They don't offer enough discounted tickets as far as I'm concerned,

Reply #454842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The talk atm is about the Sixers moving out the current venue into a smaller venue. Is that possible / feasible?

Reply #454845 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

^ no way
there is no other facility in Adelaide capable of hosting the 36ers bar the entertainment centre and that is far to costly and restrictive to use

Reply #454849 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

2 things, first I'm a Wildcats member with 2 gold seats at $45/each and worth $90 each without membership so ours are always 50% off... What discount do members get there?

Secondly, our games are attended by everyone from retirees, families, the expected young male to sexy young women bringing their girlfriends; you have 1000 extra people turning up, are they of all demographics or just the expected young male?

Basketball is a game to be loved by all and hopefully you have a nice diverse crowd there

Reply #455161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With the push for smaller venues, Hawks if they survive are looking elsewhere, Crocs if they are to survive looking elsewhere, Kinks looking elsewhere as well. Perth has a grandiose venue undoubtedly but small will be the go if the NBL is to survive. The NBL will if it survives past this season become a semi pro league. Right now there is even talk of taking a season off to regroup.
3100 people at the Crocs the other night which probably means 1000 less than stated.

Reply #455173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks & Crocs are struggling as they are regionals, with their populations they will never attract bumper crowds on a regular basis. Capital city teams are fine so let's hope Brisbane and second Melbourne sides get in. NBL will remain as a pro league if this happens the problem at the moment is that 3/8ths of the league are weak regionals.

Reply #455221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Feel for Dean Parker great theme night setup yet 5.5k only? Thought this one would break the box office. I know it was 43 degrees but let's face it -

at home before the game = air con
driving to the game = air con
at the stadium = air con

toughen up ppl

Reply #455232 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

5,500 is still a good turn out imo.

Reply #455236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what if wildcats only got 5500 you wouldn't be saying that

Reply #455237 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Perth bigger pop, wealthier, lower unemployment, shall I continue........ If you want to bang on about crowds, pick on Sydney Melbourne. There is where numbers don't compare to demographics of regional tems and Perth and Adelaide. It's more complicated than simple figures.

Reply #455239 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I thought the crowd was a good crowd considering the temperature. We are soft this day and age.

I thought most people got into it with black tops everywhere. I liked the theme and would love to see a St Patrick's Day theme top if it fell around that time (but not against the Crocs) Perhaps we could inspire Sydney to don Mardi Gras tops on 2/3/14 for their game against Perth.

Reply #455241 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Anon, I'd say Perth is the exception. There are many reasons why Perth are getting the crowds that they are. But its not a league wide thing yet and the other cities havent caught on and realised how great basketball actually is. Hopefully in time this will change.

Adelaide, compared to the other 6 teams (not including Perth) are doing very well. The 5500 they are getting is a good foundation to build on.

I think any crowd over 5000 (except in Perth) is viewed as a good one.

Reply #455243 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The Sixers have some VERY good homes games remaining:

Sun 23/2 - NZ Breakers - Heritage round celebrating the 1998 Championship Team. All games v Breakers are good. The Kiwi Krowd will be there and will be a great afternoon.

Sat 8/3 - Townsville - While Townsville look like wooden spooners, this won't be a certain win by a long shot. Plus, all fans can bring along a wooden spoon and wave it to the Crocs.

Fri 14/3 - Perth - If you want a carpark spot, better get there during the day. This one has the potential to crack the Brett Maher game crowd record. A 7,000 crowd beckons. If games go the Sixers way, a win could steal top spot from the Cats. It clashes with district so expect a thread early March when the discussion is held about swapping game times.

Sun 23/3 - Melbourne - last home game and one which could decide who gets 2nd or 3rd. This might be the most important game of the season. MVP favourite Goulding will be in the house and will either shine, or be tamed.

Reply #455250 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:33 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754