natwhereyouat
Years ago

No Bullets for 2014-15

http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews/east/nbl-boss-fraser-neill-concedes-there-will-be-no-brisbane-team-in-201415-season/story-fni9r0lo-1226813186049

Interesting that they got quotes from Simon Kerle when he publicly said he didnt watch the NBL, followed it or even knew who was playing. From memory Andrew Bogut said something to him about it over Twitter.

Also listen to Aussie Hoopla's podcast with Cal Bruton http://www.aussiehoopla.com/cal-bruton-nbl-hall-of-famer-podcast/

Cal mentions his interaction with the new CEO (or lack of), NBL expansion etc (ofcourse mentions this Brisbane bid).

Topic #33600 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Same old, same old.

We hear this every year.

Reply #454854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL has called for expressions of interest in Tasmania. The reason is that Tassie has ticked all the boxes already. Brisbane is no where near that. The NBL themselves were looking to run the team themselves for some stupid reason, clearly that won't be happening now.

Reply #454885 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Nowhere near? I guess six weeks is a long time in basketball. CEO Fraser Neill:

"we're planning a bigger expansion for the 2015/16 season, we've spoken to Tasmania and Melbourne and already asked for expressions of interest in Tasmania which we'll do in Brisbane in the next six weeks."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews/east/nbl-boss-fraser-neill-concedes-there-will-be-no-brisbane-team-in-201415-season/story-fni9r0lo-1226813186049

Reply #454888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul, doesn't mean they will get a bid team up and running.

Brisbane has been talked about for years and that's all it is "talk"

Reply #454890 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

We'll see, but you're moving the goalposts there.

Reply #454892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How?

Reply #454893 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I read you as saying (I assume same anon, apologies if not) they were nowhere near the EoI stage like Tassie are, yet the NBL say they are putting that out in Brisbane in six weeks.

Reply #454894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Out of curiosity, does that mean Brisbane now have a bid team that have put in the funds and the EOI are for people to manage the club?

Reply #454896 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

I wouldn't say its been all talk Anon. A lot of good people have lost their money, time, jobs etc trying to get a Brisbane team back up. its been very difficult in SEQ. ask any team even the broncos how hard it is to get corporate support, ask Dick Johnson, not a lot of corporate dollars been thrown around in most sports let alone basketball which a lot of corporates think is a minnow sport. I Hope it isn't too far off as my kids don't remember ever going to a Brisbane game's when they were younger

Reply #454901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So based upon what you are saying, is it fair to say it is unlikely a Brisbane club will return?

Reply #454903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strange that in Tassie it was front page and back page news when Neill visited. Yet no such public visit from the NBL and as many have repeatedly said here no one is forthcoming with the cash.
Calling for an EOI when the NBL was going to run it themselves is certainly an about face.

Reply #454904 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I dont think anyone said the NBL was going to run it themselves. There has been talk they would have a financial interest.

Reply #454907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OMG stop the presses so because Simon Kerle doesn't follow it that means the league is bad. The guy is an opinionated loudmouth who was more annoying (and peroxide) than Heal. I have good memories of booing the guy along with the rest of the Dome, especially the elimination playoff game. Tosser.

Reply #454974 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:35 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754