Anonymous
Years ago

state team costs

How much does it cost to play for your state?

Topic #33630 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it cost us about $2500

Reply #455620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anywhere from about $1,000 to $2,500 depending on how subsidised that state program is.

Reply #455628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$2700 in Tasmania

Reply #455630 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

And this is why basketball in Australia is fucked...

Reply #455637 | Report this post

scottsman  
Years ago

australia is currently producing its best talent. Ever. Its messed up because we have a pro league that isnt viable in this country.

Reply #455639 | Report this post

scottsman  
Years ago

Ps. In our case (nsw country) we also got money from the school, local council and club. A little bit of fundraising thrown in and it came in well under 1000. I know there were a stack of sudanese kids at nats last yr and I suspect that ppl found a way to get them there. If ur kids talented u find a way!!

Reply #455640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pro league is fine and viable. Last time I checked it's been going for 35 seasons strong.

Juniors on the other hand is messed up if kids have to pay in the thousands to rep their state.

Reply #455643 | Report this post

scottsman  
Years ago

Ok. For my son nationals were a great spprting development experience and we worked hard to het him there for that... now what? with 8 teams in this country and teams likely to fallover nationals was great prep for footy as we transition back into that sport.

Reply #455648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh well sorry I didn't know the existence of the pro league is all about your son. Be grateful for the eight owners/syndicates who fund the league at present. Talk about being selfish and ungrateful.

Eight is great by the way as it weeds out the dud players who shouldn't really be on the national stage.

Reply #455650 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

I am sure if your son was of "ok" standard at nationals he would be fine to secure a college scholarship somewhere? or possibly secure a SEABL position.

Or do you just want a fully paid 1 in a 1,000,000 NBA career for him?

Reply #455651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm glad you're going back to another sport. Bye bye.

Whatever happened to being passionate about the one sport for life as nowadays if someone doesn't get their way they cry and then on. It's always the sports fault not their own. Talk about fairweather bandwagoners. Bball4life right here no matter what and proud of it, through the good times and the bad.

Reply #455652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Ashke hahaha nice reply

Reply #455653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

should read "cry and then move on."

Reply #455654 | Report this post

m  
Years ago

"Pro League is fine and viable" ahahahahahahha I wish I could look at things so blindly

Reply #455657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who else is supposed to pay? I doubt the average tax payer will be happy to bankroll your kids experience.

Reply #455662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you are from NthQld you are looking at $5k+

Reply #455668 | Report this post

jumper  
Years ago

kids paid $1k to go to PCS at Port Macquarie and play 4 games. Looking at the results, the games were not a high standard either.

Reply #455695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

35 season strong? Bahahaha. As often as not the league is crying poverty and teams are falling over/making losses.

Reply #455696 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Some kids get a once in a life time opportunity to play for their state, they get to keep a state uniform, form bonds and friendships with people they have never met before, participate at a level they may never do so again and have memories they can pass down to thier kids one day.

The parents enjoy a wonderful experience and have many fond memories as well.

The kids come back to their Associations better for the experience, they are now considered elite in their sport (to a point) back home and role models for the younger kids there to follow and look up to.

Some kids play multiple times and they are probably going to end up playing at the elite level, get a scholarship of some kind and live the dream of playing basketball as a semi-pro or pro to some degree, here or overseas.

This is where it begins and yes, there is a cost involved, however I for one have never thought of it as money poorly spent or not value for the dollar.

Better to have them go to Nationals or States than see them spend the time doing something less productive or counter productive to their future.

I wish I had that chance when I was younger...

Raising some money through your local community with the assistance of your local Association will always help out in covering some of the costs, just ask them for some help, I'm sure they will accomodate to ease the financial burdon.

Finally, on this topic, ask any older pro or semi-pro hooper of their finest or fondest junior basketball memory and I guarantee it will almost always be about when they played States or Nationals, cheers!

Reply #455701 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Thank you Bear - yours are exactly the reasons I've been happy to pay for my kids to travel interstate and overseas for various sports, representing SA, their clubs and their school.

In terms of options for fund raising, the State Government also had some grants for young athletes who have difficulties meeting the financial costs of representing the state. They were available last year and I imagine they still are. Check the Office of Recreation and Sport web site and I'm sure there'll be something on there. BSA also should know about such options.

Reply #455705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well said bear & PeterJohn so true

Reply #455709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also go to the following sight and apply for the local sporting champions grant. A few forms to fill in but not that painfull and a possible $500 for individal or $2000 for a team. Money usually comes in after the event but still welcome. Not means tested either. Get in quick if you are off to U20s as aplication has to be in before the start of the event. For kids up to and including 18 yrs.

http://www.ausport.gov.au/participating/schools_and_juniors/local_sporting_champions

Reply #455712 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Great post Bear.

Reply #455736 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

"Every registered basketball player in Australia, contributes towards the cost of the Boomers"
Told to me by State officials couple of years ago.

The odd thing is that these are the players who don't need our monies to finance that Olympic experience.

Parents pay for everything, that's what is wrong.
Sure, cover their kids' costs but why 2 coaches and a manager and sometimes a bus driver as well.

Someone please come back and tell me their State body pays for something. Referees get everything paid by their State body.

Reply #455741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about a state by state. $2700 in Tas. minus the cost of any gear you might have if you have been before.

Reply #455742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

as I understand BasketballSA give a grant to state teams of about $6,000 per team. I might be wrong about the exact amount though.

Reply #455748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where does the money for the grants come from? Why should taxpayers fund someone else's kids hobby.

Reply #455749 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

The parent pays principle is what happens in all but the richer sports, even some of the richer sports charge their kids something.

Bear and PeterJohn have made great comments about what this experience means for their kids and why they have been prepared to make sacrifices to ensure that happens.

States could afford to pay to send these teams, of course they could, provided every player in their state was prepared to pay more in registration. And my guess is that it would be a pretty significant rise in fees.

Bowtie, of course every registered player in Australia contributes to the Boomers, but every registered play pays a very small amount to Basketball Australia compared to what they pay the state. On top of that the ASC funds most of the Boomers/Opals/Junior teams costs.

Reply #455750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

749, sports and pathways to success in sports are a part of our countries social fabric as most countries in teh western world

Reply #455753 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Because that is how society/democracy works.

Your next line will be "we shouldn't fund anything until public health and education are perfect"...

Just doesn't, and can't, work that way.

Reply #455754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes let's deincentivise the need for parents to earn more and provide for their children's recreation (let's face it that's what it is) by throwing grants around. Hate this handout mentality we have nowadays. No wonder income tax rates are so high.

Reply #455755 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Truly bizarre argument. Absurd. I am sure if Bear could get hold of the $500 grant he would, but it does not in any way diminish his enthusiasm for getting the rest of the cash organised and making sure his kid gets to championships.

It costs thousands to get your kid there, and if you want to go yourself then thousands more. Most parents and their clubs would engage in a range of fund raising to ensure the trip happens - part of that might be getting a grant or grants.

Reply #455759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tax payers hand out countless millions of dollars a year as a result of other recriational persuits, drugs, alcoholism, Play Station induced obesity!! If a kid is prepared to work hard and develop to a level where they can make a state or national team I will gladly divert part of my tax to their family instead.

Reply #455760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

755 if u dont want the govt to support sport/health/communities move to a 3rd world muslim country. U will fit in well there.

Reply #455762 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

I wonder if the anon thinks our health system shouldn't cover people injured while recreating?

Reply #455763 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Well, I can only speak for myself here so I will try to cover off on those questions for you good folks.

1. I pay taxes, bloody lots of them and have done so for over 35 years now. So does my wife and I'm sure my kids will too one day soon enough, maybe here in Australia or maybe in another country, we'll see.

2. Never really had much luck with grants in the past, yes we have tried for some but so many hundreds of applicants for a small pool of money, even taking into consideration the strict rules and guidelines means we usually take the brunt of the cost or as we once did we organised some fund (team) raising.

3. Over the years our family has funded two boys at a number of state and national events for basketball, we are talking tens of thousands of $$$ here and you know what, we don't regret one cent of it...

4. There are other options, like your state basketball body could allow you to pay the amount off in installments etc...

Just think outside the square and you should find it achieveable. Politics asside, it is a great country with many opportunities, remember basketball is not high on the podium here like, say, in the USA!

Like I said, just the way it worked out for us, not pretending that it is suitable for everyone or the same for others.

Stay frosty...

Reply #455768 | Report this post

AHOS  
Years ago

Similar to Bear, did not find grants that easy to get. Applying for Council grant you had to complete a thousand word essay for $100.00.

My wife and I never ever thought about the finance, we just provided. As Bear said, you just make it happen. Like most who have gone through this experience, you go without yourself, but in the most, the outcome are well adjusted, mature and healthy young adults which as parents, is all we can do.

The satisfaction as parents in watching your kids become an integral part of our society, should & will out weigh the hardships we endure now.

Sorry a bit dip, but wanted to add to this thread.

Reply #455770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Health, education etc. obviously are important. Bit harsh on the responses to the tax payer comment as the anon makes a good point - it is a hobby and not essential. Fund needs not wants.

A lot of the grants are intended go to kids with dropkick parents but do you think they would apply, the rest of the cash goes to the scammers who know how to work the grants system, and as harsh as this may sound you should look after your backyard, footing the bill for another persons kids recreation is not why I pay taxes for. Hospitals, education, roads yes.

As Bear said above and I applaud him he is taking care of his kids and funded their basketball to the tune of thousands. Good on you.

Reply #455789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have 4 kids playing ball. work full time, my wife works two jobs. We pay shit loads of tax and don't get a cent back. Not eligible for family tax benefit a or b and seem to have less disposable income than many on welfare. I don't feel guilty at all for 'scamming' a $500 sports commission grant. I would guess most people on here who have the means to support their kids to get to national level in basketball will have paid and continue to pay. their share of tax.

Reply #455802 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

You are way off the mark. Government funds lots and lots of "wants". That was exactly what I was getting at with the health and education comment. If you are only funding "needs" then you limit funding to health, education, defense and infrastructure as the big ticket items.

But Governments fund all sorts of wants, from arts to sport (elite) to participation facilities to childcare etc.

Believe it or not, our democracy demands government invest in all those things, because our society values all those things.

The amounts involved in this type of funding are miniscule. It possibly comes down to less than a few cents of the tax you pay.

Reply #455815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reading the arguments about funding kids and sport with tax dollars and then somebody mentions the Family Tax Benefit Part A & B.

#789 if you have an issue with funding other citizens children I'd start with middle class welfare such as FBTA/B.

Reply #455823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People with Basketball kids pay tax as well anon 749, 789 and a few other anons on here.. the Government will pay grants to people vomiting milk on a canvas and call it art,WT.?? there are heaps of useless things they throw your TAX money at.
In this country we are worried about obesity which leads to more over crowed hospitals, which you are worried about in your post 789 and where you think your taxes are better spent.. I think it would be a good thing if the government made all children's sport tax deductible, at all levels, so as to get kids out doing something, If you pay tax, you can claim it back.. less hospital stress later, as kids learn good habits, and stay healthier, and anyone striving for a higher level has been helped on their way to.. One day Australia may stand and clap one of those kids, we're good at celebrating a win, a gold, or whatever in Sport, BUT someone paid sometimes a lot of money to get to where they have for that clapping.. lastly of course parents want to pay their kids way, but the burden does become great sometimes for some.. I wonder why the fees are so high to do some of these State and National events.. But Kids that make it to this level are very talented and work Bloody hard.
But you have to know one to understand that, something you dont have at your house by the comment(s) you have made.
Sadly Some kids may have already dropped out because the expense is to great to continue,, who knows where they may have ended up except for MONEY, or lack of.
They may now be on the "ROAD" to no where, your taxes go that way to, people with no aim, and never will have (but guess thats ok because "Roads" were one place you had no problem with your tax's going to..lol) enough said

Reply #455835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My now grown up child has attended 6 state and 6 national comps, been invited to various elite camps and is now in final years of us college. Wow what an expense and financial hardship this has been for us. But what an exciting journey!!! It has enriched all our lives and created wonderful memories, wouldn't change one moment of it. Money is a necessary evil meant to be spent, so why not spend it on something that gives opportunity to your kids to achieve at the highest level possible for them. Who knows what's around the corner, embrace each moment and just go for it.

Reply #455842 | Report this post

Hey, If it's too expensive don't go. Pretty simple really.

I guess the other option is get a really good lawyer and sue someone over it. If you try hard enough you might find a way for someone else to pay

Reply #455845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Feel blessed you get the opportinity. Our school just lost a beautiful 9 year old girl with amazing spirit and athletic ability and potential. I imagine her parents would be happy to pay anything to have her back again.... there are also families who have children who would love to spend their money on their children who didn't quite make it. Often its a timing issue and opportunity. Some parents spend all their money on medication and wheelchairs and surgery for children they know may not live past 20..... Perspective please.... You are fortunate....

Reply #455846 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

My main question has always been should the parents also pay for the total expenses of 2 coaches and the mananger? There is often another adult in the group , either a driver or a physio (rare)
Referees' costs are born by the State body. Isn't it a great experience for them too and helping them to reach higher paid levels? (State Leagues, NBL etc)
We were always envious of the Victorian teams who had the best support from their State and that enabled the players' parents to pay for extras for their kids. They still had to contribute less than any other State parents.

Would at least be nice to see players' jerseys paid for by the State bodies.

If sponsors could be acknowledged on the uniforms it would be easier to obtain financial assistance. ATM I imagine it's pretty rare to involve companies unless they are parent involved etc.

Only ever saw one player(the eventual VC) who pulled out for money reasons and the rest of the team contributed for the airfare to bring them back into the group. They just increased the fund raising a bit.

Reply #455847 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I have 4 kids playing ball. work full time, my wife works two jobs. We pay shit loads of tax and don't get a cent back.
No, just things like roads and other infrastructure, national defence, an education system, etc.

Reply #455863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We all get those. Including those that have never paid tax in their lives.

Reply #455865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not quibbling about paying. In fact I have paid in excess of $30 000 in basketball related expenses in the last two years. Just reacting to someone implying that you are a scammer if you apply for a grant for $500 to help out.

Reply #455866 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

I love taxpayers. What Isaac pointed out is so typical. "I pay tax but get nothing".

Everyone pays tax. Everyone gets the benefit of taxes. Some get more benefit than others. Often they are the people who pay the least tax.

But our society values that approach. It ain't gonna change in a hurry.

Reply #455867 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

If you get angry about taxes and government then take a leaf from Russell Brand. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHDcOBgWZqc

Reply #455899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol! This post has taken a Marxist turn! People who complain about how taxes are spent can either join the government and help, or shut the F up and continue living your self-centred, greedy, capitalist, money-hungry, pointless lives. The rest of us will continue trying to improve society for EVERYONE so that EVERYONE benefits. Sport, Roads, Education, Health, Technology plus many other things people take for granted are all in existence because people before us have fought for them. Try and fight the good fight. Not the fight of half-witted oxygen thieves we encounter every day through forums like this.

Either there are a couple of trolls on the loose or some people really are f'd in the head.

Reply #455910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Start up another site for people who don't complain about how their taxes are spent. You will be F##ing lonely there.

Reply #455912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Hey, If it's too expensive don't go. Pretty simple really."

Hear hear, but when it's too expensive people look at the government and expect them to pay for it. That's why the naughty word tax was brought up because of the original posters who came on here with a sense of entitlement.

Reply #455942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bowtie - you mean the 2 adults who spend entire weekends to help develop your children as elite level sportsmen often at the expense of their own family time? And then look after your children whilst they are away having the time of thier lives? Glad I don't know too many selfish jerks like you, lets hope your kids miss out so you won't have to whine about it.

Reply #455979 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Get off your high horse, Anon.

Coaches and refs are developing their own talents in their fields. Andre Lemanis is one I remember assisting Vic coaches at a National.
Refs' expenses are paid for entirely by the State bodies and BA kick in a bit. Coaches should not be depending on their team players parents to be meeting their expenses.

I just think it's not expecting too much that the players could get a little help financially from the State admin. NOT one cent contributed towards the State rep teams to players' costs. Is it true?
Victoria were an exception. Paid airfares/and accommod for the full team and the optional set of jerseys were on loan.

I was hoping things had changed.

Reply #456005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bowtie u will find its the state bodies that fund the bulk of the coaches and team managers cost in most states

Reply #456008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do the sums for players costs. Accom for 9 nights -1000

Return flights-600

Food, ice, sundries for 9 days - 350

Ba costs - 200

uniforms -300

Physio for 9 days - 50

approximately 350 hrs of time invested by coaches and team managers - free

It seems reasonable value for what is a lifetime experience. Keep in mind the amount of volunteer time and expertise that goes into these athletes not only in the leadup but in the actual week.

Reply #456010 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Good grief, I don't want coaches to pay for themselves.
I want the State body to pay for them.
The State bodies need to be doing their job and developing the sport to satisfy BA and the Fed Govt sporting grants. Produce quality coaches.
Produce State teams who compete well at Nationals.

I want the parents to get a bit towards their kids' costs. Any grant from the State Govt goes towards the ref costs anyway. It's pretty small.

Reply #456011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do you know parents DO pay for managers/coaches bowtie? Or are you just going off cluelessly without any facts?

Reply #456012 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Basing it on my experiences as an official, a parent and a spectator. I don't go off clueless but do have opinions.
Was hoping someone would tell me things have changed altho basketball struggles financially even more these days.
Surely someone is on this forum who has a State player in their family, from last 2 years, and understands their budget?

All our budgets were for 13 people but cost shared 10 ways. Each room was for 2 people excepting the Manager who was mostly a female.

Reply #456018 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

BTW

If SA give around $6000 to each State team,
that's 10 teams (Metro and Country for 16 and 18, Boys and Girls but only I each for 20's, no division between Metro and Country)

$60,000 fantastic effort by South Australia.
Can anyone confirm?

Reply #456019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Parents pay for coaches and managers in Tas for last 20 months!!!

Reply #456025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very poor budget. Food at $40.00 a day, they would come back like jockeys.

Reply #456028 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

So they should pay for coaches and managers you tight arse! How much time and money do those people put in to the program? Most of them don't have children in the program and they do it for "love of the game".

These are the same coaches and managers that wear all criticism and judgement from idiots like yourself, so i would think covering their expenses is rather fitting.

#Tightarsetasmanian

Reply #456033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ashke
What they are saying is that the state used to pay and answering a question from (456012).
So chill you idiot

Reply #456039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do all states give out a break down of costs or is it just a figure you pay?

Reply #456045 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Yeah fair call.....

Reply #456049 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

I know last time i had to pay i was given a break down, but it wasn't "comprehensive" so to speak. But it had things like airfares, accom, food, uniform, so all the major items i would think.

Reply #456050 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

OK, the fact that parents pay for coaches gives them the right to criticise and make judgement???
And they all pay the same amount, so all kids should get equal court time too. Good grief!
How far off the main trend of this discussion can you get? The unfortunate thing is I've seen and heard those things happen.
I cannot believe you have actually experienced being involved in a Junior State team program.

Our budgets were always set by our managers then the State body got involved cause they got out of hand re the extra gear/clothes involved. Managers always put in a bigger effort getting best airfares and accommodation. However, I think it proper that it is approved by an official body. Hope that still happens.

End of story.

Reply #456051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so from the above I think it's safe to say bowtie has no facts and apparently no clue. As suspected.

Reply #456074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bowtie u have no idea about anything please just quit now.

Reply #456239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the state BSA chip in, you'll be whinging when your club fees go up! Money has to come from somewhere .

Reply #456487 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Did quit, guys, 3 days ago.
Was comfortable asking those questions and commenting on my own experiences and those of our family/friends.
Ciao.

Reply #456493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone interested under 20 nationals have a twitter account @U20champs

Reply #456557 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:21 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754