Isaac
Years ago

WNBL announcing awards during the season?

Is this what they normally do? Seems a little strange to be voting while the regular season still has games to play:

The WNBL All-Star Five, Coach of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year awards were voted on by the coaches and captains of the nine WNBL clubs at the completion of Round 17.

These awards will be presented during the respective home games of the winners during Round 18.

The remaining WNBL All-Star Five selections and Betty Watson WNBL Rookie of the Year will be announced next week and be presented during Round 19.

2013/14 Wattle Valley WNBL Awards

WNBL Coach of the Year: Guy Molloy (Melbourne Boomers)

Robyn Maher WNBL Defensive Player of the Year: Rebecca Allen (Melbourne Boomers)

WNBL All-Star Five: Jenna O'Hea (Dandenong Rangers)

WNBL All-Star Five: Leilani Mitchell (Dandenong Rangers)

Topic #33641 | Report this topic

Mick  
Years ago

Highly unorthodox and entirely dumb.

Reply #455877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dont have the NBL owners to cover the award night presentations anymore

Reply #455878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looking at the announcements that have been made today:
- Boomers duo of Bec Allen as defensive player & Guy Molloy as coach of the yea
- Dandenong duo of O'Hea & Mitchell making all-star 5

Both those teams have their last home matches (excluding any finals) this round, as they are on the road next week - so while an unorthodox approach it does allow the home fans to congratulate their players.

I would assume that the remaining 3 all-star 5 positions come from teams with home games next week, and the rookie of the year will be the same - meaning players from Adelaide, Bendigo, Canberra, Sydney, Logan & Townsville will most likely fill the 4 awards to be announced.

Would the voting for the rookie of the year, defensive player of the year, coach of the year & all-star 5 really change that much over the last 2 rounds because the way the article reads is that its not based on weekly votes but rather one lot of voting?

Only question now - when will the MVP get announced? Will they wait until the grand final for that announcement or earlier in the finals series?

Reply #455880 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Far more likely for these awards to get media coverage now than after the end of the season.

Reply #455881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Errr, um, what media coverage would that be other than online?

Reply #455885 | Report this post

Tmk  
Years ago

No Surprises with the nominees thus far.

Barring injuries Bec Allen has the potential to make the defensive player of the year award her own ala Emily McInerny.

O'hea was always a definite for all-star 5.
Mitchell has had a great 2nd half, possibly Hurst was the only one someone could have made an argument for.

Reply #455889 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I know there'd be advantages to this approach, but seems awfully unconventional. Is there much precedent worldwide?

Reply #455890 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

These awards have been voted on early the past few years but not announced until the playoffs.

Reply #455892 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Is in todays Herald Sun. I did say more likely, I did not say blanket!

Reply #455901 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Well HO, fancy a smart arse anon being wrong!!

Reply #455906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"dont have the NBL owners to cover the award night presentations anymore"

Great. So glad the NBL aren't subsidising BA & WNBL. $100k per club was highway robbery.

Reply #455931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That got me thinking, how much did each WNBL club have to contribute to BA? Probably nil. So sexist.

Reply #455932 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Now Paul, i normally wait till the anon makes a totally stupid statement, or repeats their stupidity multiple times. This anon was ok.... I wish isaac would ban em though....

Reply #455941 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

"Errr, um, what media coverage would that be other than online?"

For starters, O'Hea & Allen were both interviewed on one of the news shows this morning

Reply #455949 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

HO, might be that person paying all that tax for nothing.

Reply #455969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Remaining all star 5 will be Batkovic, Hodges & Bishop who are all away this week. None from Bendigo as they play at home this week on Sunday.

Reply #456127 | Report this post

tmk  
Years ago

Agree that batkovic, Hodges, bishop will make up the 5.

Batkovic and bishop have shockingly low FG%'s though.

Reply #456458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would like to see a Bendigo player in the 5, Gabe probably had the best season from that team although she missed a game late and has been coming off the bench lately which may hurt. I guess having a team with so many weapons like Bendigo can hurt when it come to individual awards.

If the award is an offensive based award Bishop and Hodges probably get in although I'd like to see Allen be given a look. She controlled many games defensivelly and is a big reason why Melbourne are in the finals.

Is having a player like Bishop score around 20 points a game at just over 40% (I think she hit that 40% mark due to a late season run of form) from the field helpful in the wins column? I'm not sure.....The team underachieved based on their roster so I'm not sure if their players should be rewarded with individual awards.

Although that said, I have no idea how the voting system works so if it is coaches voting after the game, players from weaker teams have a great shot at being included.

Reply #456535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hodges, Batkovic and Richards the remaining All-Star five.

Alex Wilson from Townsville rookie of the year

Reply #456886 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:52 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754