basketballbadass
Years ago

Heal's future

His Kings gig could be coming to a close. Will he sign as a n assistant anywhere next season or move back to Gold Coast and do business?

Topic #33862 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Tard

Reply #460453 | Report this post

Bob  
Years ago

He'll probably get another two year deal with Sydney after they lose to Perth in the GF.

Reply #460455 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

I think that any coach who's team finishes in the Top 4 deserves to stay at their team. All teams except Perth who expect top 2.

Reply #460465 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

It has just been one of those years where the league has some unbelievable parity. I stopped betting on NBL games because with the resuls the way they were, anyone could beat anyone.

Funnily enough the parity of the league may help a few coaches keep their jobs.

As there are no one or two bad teams with records like 6-19 or 7-18

Go down the ladder from 3 -8 and the number of wins ranges from 10 -12 or something. Crazy.

I actually like Heal as a coach -- and despite peoples stupid interpretation of Young's twitter post -- it does appear he has a good relationship with the players.

If anyone needs to go its Fearne.

Also, Anstey doesn't seem up to it.

Scary to think what Cairns or Melb could be like with a Dennis or Gordie.

Though they probably wont win the award, Dennis or Gordie are by far the coach of the year IMO.

Reply #460485 | Report this post

Moneyballer  
Years ago

Joey should win it.

Reply #460495 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Heal is a verifiable douche (the hair gives it away) and I never thought he'd be a good coach since as a player he was a volume scorer who didn't play much defense.

But he is a good coach in this league. His teams never have much talent and he gets them playing together.

Reply #460496 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Could Heal be a viable fit for cairns? High profile, low contract price.

Reply #460497 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

And I think Joey is most deserving of coach of the year but should be excluded from contention due to the Perth incident.

Reply #460498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I also think Heal is a good coach, as Mick said he gets his team playing together, working hard and often punching above their weight.

For those reasons id like to see him in the NBL next season, as he is also a young coach so could get alot better with more time and experience.

Reply #460502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal is better than anstey from what I can see

Reply #460503 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Twice the coach Anstey is.

Reply #460505 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

What's peoples thoughts on coach of the year?

Obvious choices are Gleeson and Wright but if the Gong make the top 4 I think Geordie is in with a chance.

Reply #460509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if gong make it... definitely gordy!

Reply #460530 | Report this post

jumper  
Years ago

I think Heal has ticked all boxes. Nominate another coach and give reasons why he would have done a better job at the kings than HEAL.

IE: where has HEAL not delivered where another coach could have.

Reply #460532 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

If Geordie does get Hawks into playoffs then we will likely get coach award imo.
Beveridge in Cairns? Not a bad idea

Reply #460540 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

I dont know why heal is getting so much criticism apart from the diabolical roster changes this year. Yes he was a douche as a player but is handling himself well as a coach and deserves to be there again next season. I still believe they will make the gf this year but even top four should guarantee his tenure.
Anstey is the worst coach in the league but seems to be given some time to grow into a good coach. Fearne has no doubt underachieved and cairnes should go after bevo as he would be a perfect fit for them but can they afford him?
Geordie is definitely the best coach but wouldn't get coach of the year finishing fifth. If they manage to scrape into the four then yes he should be.

Reply #460550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal lost his team the game today... too many timeouts early in the 3rd... had none down the stretch.

He has done a good job though.

Anstey certainly under achieving majorly with the amount of talent there... really bad move putting him in.

Reply #460557 | Report this post

jumper  
Years ago

i think a couple of bad turnovers cost the kings.

nothing to do with the coaching

Reply #460560 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Turnovers and fouls (Ogilvy) cost Sydney today not Heal. Wagstaff's turnover in final minute could have just as easily lost the game for Perth.

Reply #460561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson hands down. Yes he has a talented roster but he has to be credited for what he's achieved in his first year. He recruited great imports and has done an excellent job of creating a team first mentality amongst a lot of star players. You can have a great group of players but it takes a great coach to pull it all together.

Reply #460564 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Bad subbing in last quarter.
Hindsight a wonderful thing!!

Reply #460566 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Can't always blame games on the coaches

Reply #460584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL fan: agreed^^^^^.

Reply #460592 | Report this post

JW21  
Years ago

Heals future is in Wellington.

Reply #460594 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Gleeson!!

Reply #460618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can't always blame the coach.

however the coach does control subbing and timeouts both of which was poor!

Reply #460629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gordie best coach in league - teams usually over achieve -only works with three quarters of the cap too

Reply #460631 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

If Gordie's the best coach (and I think he probably is), then why don't the teams with money and quality rosters go after him? Is he not sexy enough?

Reply #460681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ What Wilson said.

Reply #460955 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Gordie is a Wollongong boy, that's where he grew up and that's where he wants to be. Hawks are going to have to do some really good succession planning for the day he hangs up the boots.

Reply #460957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or he will have do some really good succession planning for the day Wollongong folds. That's the more likely scenario of the two from what I'm hearing.

Reply #460962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gordie got an All-Australian team (no imports) to the Grand Final with Razorbacks. Now he is approaching retirement so where better than at home in the Gong.

Also most teams have no idea when appointing head coaches, see Heal, Anstey, etc.

Reply #460977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can people still say Heal is a good coach with their recent slump. They won't make playoffs unless Tigers continue to choke.

Reply #460978 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Pretty sure they'd be lining up for him if the Hawks went under*. It would be interesting to see how he could go with a better budget...

*which would be a huge shame

Reply #460985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting how he could go with a better budget? LOL is your NBL memory a few years worth? Check out what he did with 0 imports with the Razorbacks in 2002.

Reply #460987 | Report this post

Fake_name  
Years ago

So why did Gordie apply for another Head Coaching job elsewhere if he's a Wollongong boy Paul?

Reply #460990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where did he apply fake_name?

Reply #460993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thought so. Fake_name = liar + troll.

Reply #461485 | Report this post

Fake_name  
Years ago

CoE

Reply #461486 | Report this post

Fake_name  
Years ago

So no smart arse reply?

Reply #461706 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:53 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754