Anonymous
Years ago

2014 Big V Tournament

Who looks good ?
Who doesn't ?
Who's living up to the hype and who isn't ?

Topic #33912 | Report this topic

Toby  
Years ago

Vic Metro U/18 men lost a close game this morning against Waverley by 3. They then pulled out a great game without their 7 footer to beat Whittlesea by around 10 points.

Reply #461607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Warrandyte women looking like the step up will be good for them. Nice shot on their new import and Hederics looking good.
Melbourne have some talent but how deep are they going to be?
Waverley women are loaded and will challenge for the Championship. Elias has them running very well already and they will take plenty of scalps.
Ringwood women solid with JV back on court after her knee deco. Deep side with plenty of shooters. New import looking to find her feet but seems like she will suit their shooting game.

Reply #461654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bredlife look overrated

Reply #461655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think there were a few overated coming in.
Sharks and Cougars look good in YL2
Shep going well in D2

Reply #461694 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

The new look Sharks YLM are surprising a few, will be good to watch them throughout the season.

A few other teams are yet to live up to their own hype, specially in the D2M section.

Reply #461710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's with the stupid timing rules. Wasn't firstly shortening the 12 minute quarters to 10 enough. I could live with 8 minute quarters in previous years with the clock stopping but this year's surely is a miscommunication somewhere along the line. What a joke to see a scoreline of 19 to 17 for the entire match. Shame on big v

Reply #461799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Warrandyte withdrawing from the finals in D1. Division only had 4 actual teams to begin with.
Are we going to see more teams pull out of the event (like SCM) in future ?

Reply #461800 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If the Big V want the tournament taken more seriously they should move round 1 back a week so teams have the chance to recover after playing multiple games on a weekend.

Reply #461825 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Spot on

Reply #461838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree Paul, having your team smash themselves over 3 days the week before season tip off is stupid, in fact defies logic.

Reply #461839 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Thats why teams dont play the tournament as they want them fresh for next week.From what i saw they'll be some aching bodies this week.

Reply #461842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From all reports there were a lot of injuries came from this weekend, players and officials. As a coach id hate to be 0-4 in 4 weeks time due to loss of players during the tournament.

Reply #461847 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Great point, bringing it forward simply makes sense for all involved. Though there was still some great basketball played over the weekend, it would be better if more teams competed.

Just throwing it out there, but would it be even better if they could somehow incorporate SA and NSW's teams? Probs never going to happen, but wouldn't it be fantastic to see 3 different states hitting it out @ senior level.....

Reply #461861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is there a website for results??

Reply #461868 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Check out the Frankston Blues website mate

Reply #461880 | Report this post

buckets  
Years ago

The tournament this year was the worst it has ever been. 8 minute running clock, Teams pulling out in both CM and D1M to the point where CM there was only 2 teams left and 3 in D1M. No trophies/medals, and the prize money was less than the team entrance fee. I can see a lot more teams heading west to Ballarat tournament next year in from what i've heard a great weekend of basketball.

Congrats to Waverly, Melton, and Western Port on their wins. Should be a great year of basketball ahead from what I saw, everyone is coming together nicely.

Reply #461903 | Report this post

BB  
Years ago

Ballarat is just as bad, no shot clocks, domestic referees, 2x20min halves.

Both tournaments need a review in my opinion.

The Frankston tournament is better though from what I saw

Reply #461908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's just another thing big v has managed to get wrong. Frankston 5 years ago was awesome now because the refs probably complained about the games being too long they make them shorter.

Reply #462863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The EOI to host the tournament has been released with the dates to be late Feb to allow for a break between tournament and season proper.

Reply #491825 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:52 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754