MRT
Years ago

Talent depth of woman's basketball

I'd like to know if the depth of woman's basketball is at a high compared to previous years. Looking at the list of players at the opal training camp there seems to be a lot of other skilled players who didn't make the cut. What is everyone else's thoughts.

Topic #33929 | Report this topic

Years ago

I think we are bit thin at the extreme elite end. Mid range ok. Emerging opals at tweener stage - I.e. maybe they will be elite maybe they wont. Jarry's and oheas are very serviceable but not your Taylor / Jackson / timms level. Team USA has the.likes of griner and della.Donne coming through. Liz may be our saviour. What we need is some that want to make thehighest level their career.

Reply #462165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grass root numbers are quiet poor for women's basketball which eventually with have an effect on the elite/ top level depth.

Reply #462169 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Grass Roots numbers for girls basketball have returned to 2003 levels, and have been growing since they bottomed out around 2006, but lets not let the facts disturb your story anon....

Participation rate for girls basketball is 6.6, for boys 9.2. Both show positive trends since 2006, while a number of other sports have dropped in real terms, including Netball.

Reply #462180 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Interesting figures HO, where did you get those from?

Reply #462194 | Report this post

Proud Dad  
Years ago

Ho is quoting published ABS figures. Lots of data on participation rates here

http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/[email protected]/DetailsPage/4901.0Apr%202012?OpenDocument

Reply #462212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great list of excellent players but Tessa Lavey ......seriously the girl hardly touches the CRT in bendigo and other guards wipe the floor with her, she's not ready for this level .

Reply #462239 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Thanks Proud Dad, spot on.

Reply #462348 | Report this post

Dale  
Years ago

Interested to know stats on how likely you are to be gay as a female basketballer? Can we get stats on this? Seems to be Dike city nowadays? Why is it that female sportspeople go the munch at a higher % than non sportspersons? Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Reply #462356 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Dale, go away. Sad little person.

Reply #462360 | Report this post

Proud Dad  
Years ago

Thanks Ho, spot on

Reply #462367 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

wow Dale, whilst you are still stuck in the 70's can you please buy me a XYGT Phase III. Keep it garaged please mate.....

Cheers buddy

Reply #462371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dale, I'm rolling my eyes at you but can't help but crack up laughing. I'm actually lauging at and with you at the same time.

Reply #462372 | Report this post

Dale  
Years ago

Thanks Anon. I raise the big issues. I think we need stats on this. Also why is there not the same prevalence of Men in basketball that are gay?? In the senior levels where change rooms are shared with team mates, do straight women feel uncomfortable in this environment and therefore leave the sport?? Some of you will take the politically correct "oh, gosh bother, he said gay" stance but I think I have stumbled on one if the big issues of the 21st century.

Reply #462379 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

I think you're taking the piss. Well done!

Reply #462471 | Report this post

Dale  
Years ago

That I am. Just wanted to see if I got any biters

Reply #462527 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

and its and issue why???????????????? does the sexual orientation make them any less a person or effect there game ?. Why the hell would you even bring up such horseshit, you seriously need to get a life Dale.

Reply #462590 | Report this post

Dale  
Years ago

Did I say it was an issue? Just because women's basketball has turned into munchfest doesn't mean I have an issue. Just interested to see if the non munchers are comfortable with this??

Reply #462714 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:57 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754