Interested
Years ago

Playing College Basketball

With less and less opportunities being available to young basketballers to crack the NBL what are peoples thoughts on the college system in america? Also how accessible is it to people in the know to get noticed? i mean do you need an agent or someone who knows someone who knows someone?? I know some of the AIS kids get a gig in the division one NCAA but what about div 2 and 3 and then the NAIA, i would be interested to know how people from here got a chance to go eg Keith Krause, Dan Thompson, Todd Matthews, Todd Gower, Kate Jenner, Michelle Trewartha, Caroline Nixon, Steven Williams, Simon Kent, Shane Ahmatt, Kylie Evans. who helped these people or did they do it off there own backs? Maybe if any of these people read this they may like to comment or anyone else with knowledge.

Topic #3397 | Report this topic

colonel light  
Years ago

speak to neil Gliddon at SASI - or give dean kinsman a chance to settle and ask him - or surf the net and ask the college you are interested.

Reply #39124 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I guess the question to ask is 'are you going to play basketball or study'.

Nothing stopping anyone going to College for studying purposes and becoming a 'walk-on'.

By going through an agent, wouldn't that make you a 'pro'. I think there are also some websites that allow you to post information about yourself on.

Also have a look at the www.ncaa.com and have a look at the directory of colleges. This has contact numbers and names of every college in the States. Makes some phone calls, write some emails, and maybe you never know.

Reply #39128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can register through clearinghouses. They will make sure you are eligible and many help you get into a college.

Most of the ex-Norwood guys you mention above played with someone that had gone to their school or were helped out by Brannon Hayes, Mike Dunlap.

As TR said you dont need to be a great player to get over there. If your parents are loaded, you can get into a community college or Div 3 School as a walk on.

Reply #39130 | Report this post

Sir Spark  
Years ago

Getting into the college system is a breeze, a large portion of enrolments come from international students.

Getting onto a basketball team is a whole different ball game though, they dont just let anyone in. I was accepted into 3 colleges, and not crappy ones either, but had no real intentions of playing ball over there. Unless you want to play div 2 or 3 college ball you had better have been to the AIS or a gun at SASI or State level...because the good teams scout their players for some period of time.

Reply #39132 | Report this post

KATE  
Years ago

I went over there in 2001 i think. At that time it was quite easy to get into a division 1 college team. I found my own college at High Point University in North Carolina. I just emailed the coaches over there telling them about my achievements in BBall and if they were interested then i sent over a tape. There are hundreds of colleges in all divisions. You just need to do a bit of research of each college and go from there. I think that it is a lot harder now to be eligable for div 1 as i believe that you can not have ever been paid or play with people that have been paid in your team - so i believe that ABA players are not eligable for division 1 (not sure if they have changed that). There are plenty of good div 2 colleges aswell - Depends what u r going for, i studied and played but mainly went for experience - i would encourage it for all bballers.

Reply #39145 | Report this post

Jazz  
Years ago

It is getting harder, academically and athletically if you want to get into a better Div 1 college..Div2/3 and even communitry coleges are relativly easy.

No 1 hit the books, good grades are important...High School needs to be finished with passing grades..unless you apply for ??? read about it at the clearing house.

No 2 register at www.Collegeboard.com and sit a SAT test ($100 Aus) this is now only done via www.collegeboard.com for international students ...get above 560 and you are set for just about any Div 1 coll, except the very top ala Duke, UCLA Berkley etc. You can search on there for a place that matches your needs.

No 3 go to the NCAA clearing house at www.ncaaclearinghouse.net, read all of the docs on elegibility, athletic and academic, in particular what you have to send them as regards past school reports, year 7 and up.

No 4 get a lot of tapes (dvds now prefered) of full games that you have played. Not just where you have starred...and even then they are a little wary of tapes unless you have been scouted by them or are recommended from somone they trust.

Try and get yourself onto a US trip (there are at least a half dozen from Oz that go each year) in about Nov/Dec that will play div1/2 colleges. Show off your game and keep your fingers crossed. On theses trips you will get a good look at a number of colleges and what they have to offer, they will actively approach you if you are good enough and show them enough.

There are also a number of people in Oz who are active in the recruiting of Aussies for US colleges, there are certainly half a dozen in Melbourne...should be some in all other states as well...

Reply #39175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there are peole in adelaide who know how the system works just ask around

Reply #39178 | Report this post

Concerned  
Years ago

Anon, what do you think I am doing!

Reply #39184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Almost good advice from Jazz.

First thing to do is to register with the cleraringhouse and that means certified copies of all of you school reports from grade 9 on. A minimum 2.0 (at least all C's) GPA on a 4.0 scale is need to qualify.

Secondly you have to sit the SAT but the composite score need to be classed as a qualifier is 820 for all NCAA institutions to play sport. Different schools may have lower entry scores but you will not be cleared as a qualifier and will have to redshirt a year to get your academic eligibilty.

Unlike Jazz's advice Div 1 is the easiest school to get into academically. The majority of Div 2 schools are small colleges and a lot are private colleges so their academic standards are higher. Div 3 is a non scholarship division so any scholarship money would have to be academic which is as hard to get for international students as a sporting scholarship.

You also have to prepare a tape not a DVD and have it formatted to the NTSC standard. All coaches rely more heavliy on VCR than DVD, it is what they use to evaluate their own games and to swap with other coaches to scout. Dont put on whole game tapes, coaches at college start recruiting kids when they are in year 9 at school, they watch them play and get a feel for what they like. They are not going to want to sit down and watch 2 hours of tape on one player so start the tape out with some highlights so they can see who you are and what you can do, then put on two or three quarters from different games of you playing your best ball. If they like the clips they will watch the game tape but they wont be interested if you go strait into a game tape, because they want to see what you can do. Also put a table of contents on the tape so they are not just watching clips because they wont watch just a clips tape.

The most important thing is to research all of the schools you think you could play at and like. I know Ryan Kersten is going to New Mexico State but if he doesnt get to play then he is in the poorest and dirtiest places in the USA. If you havnt been to the AIS look at small D1 and better D2 programs, the standard is the same trust me. Then get on the email and be persistent, coaches are really interested in Australians because of Bogut and Aaron Bruce so when they ask send them your tape and wait and see.

The last thing I could strongly suggest is to NOT pay $3000-5000 to go on a trip to play in the states like suggested. No D1 or D2 schools would schedule a touring team unless it was pre-season and it would not be for recruitment purposes. You would play bad JuCo and high scool teams and be wasting your money.

I hope this helps some.

Reply #39190 | Report this post

Caroline  
Years ago

I have had quite a few college coaches call me up in the last while looking for Aussie players. I have close contacts with quite a few big D1 schools ie Michigan State, Kentucky, Missouri State and then some smaller D1 schools too. So if u are looking to pick up a spot let me know. My contacts are in the womens depts., but if there are guys that want to get some names to contact i could get those too. But as Kate said above, just get on the net and email coaches of schools you are interested in, they will ask for a video and then you can go from there. From personal experience would strongly recommend doing it. Contact me by email, ask around someone will have it.

Reply #39353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In regards to anonymous:

I agree with most your thoughts, however I have been to Las Cruces and it is much nicer than many other parts of the USA.

In regards to going on a tour, i agree with the fact that you are unlikely to play quality college teams, but it does sometimes happen. There are some good tours and some that are just like a 2 week holidays. What the players can get is to see what the USA system is like, the style of game, have a tour around some universities etc, see what facilities are like and so on. It gives the player a good feel for what college would be like, preparing for travelling internationally and so on.

Reply #39356 | Report this post

LOBOMIKE  
Years ago

Anonymous, you have no idea what you are talking about. Kersten is coming to play for the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, not New Mexico State (Las Cruces). He will be a Lobo player, guys who are treated like royalty in NM amongst the hoards of Lobo fans and play in front of 18,000 fans a night. The UNM campus is beautiful and he will get a great education while playing basketball. It's a great opportunity and that's why Ryan jumped at the chance.

Reply #44388 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:17 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754