Moneyballer
Years ago

DJ's future with the 36ers

Is DJ going to Europe next season, I've heard many people talking about it like its already a done deal . If he stays in Oz is it a guarantee he stays with the Sixers.

Topic #33998 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brett Maher said during commentating on a game about mid-season that DJ will be playing in Europe next season.

Reply #463545 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

In the last 3 seasons, so many sixer fans in this forum have said how they didn't want DJ on the team, citing :

- Lack of D.
- Lack of commitment when down.
- Shorts pulling.

This is that wish coming true, aren't you all happy?

Reply #463547 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

I am not hugely disappointed. He is the most frustrating player in the league, natural talent but laziness. I've hoped he would get it but he just has not progressed.

Reply #463553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You 6ers would be shit with no DJ!! Surely you can see that?

Reply #463555 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

What options do they have to replace him in free agency?
They could go for an import big.
Wouldn't blame Johnson for going overseas he is in his prime and could earn alot more in Europe.

Reply #463559 | Report this post

Wtf  
Years ago

Cannot believe some clowns on here when it comes to 'free' critising DJ.
Would love to know what percentage of the 'haters' are anonymous-- 98%?

He has done a fantastic job this season and improved heaps.
As per previous post, 'if' he does not return, will you be happy, or just direct your credentialled criticism to the next player who replaces DJ.
Get over it-- support your team during the finals.
Nothing worse than a could have been advising others what to do!

Reply #463560 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I'm a Perth fan and I actually think he is a good player I actually can't believe how much shit 36er fans heap on him. As I said in my last post he should go and make some serious coin while he can. Good luck to him.

Reply #463561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How will he go to Europe with no D. Over there you don't get away with only playing on the one end.

Reply #463563 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Not many Aussies make it in Europe as imports, will be tough for him to do so. At the moment Newley and maybe Motum (not sure about his passport) are the only ones I can think of playing as imports at a decent level over there, plus Jawai before injury.

Not only will DJ have to work on his defence, his shot selection will have to change. Some good shots in our style of play will get you in the doghouse over there.

He needs to find a team that will utilise his talents well, but the odds of them actually chasing him as an import means it's probably not a sure thing as some think.

Reply #463570 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Firstly agreed, he cops far too much shot from "supporters" (using that word loosely) and I wouldn't blame him for going!

Does he have a preference of which countries to play in or would he just accept anything to get away from the criticism.

There are 4 new teams coming into the league in just over a years time (recruiting atleast) and they could do far worse than have DJ as their marquee Australian player

Reply #463593 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Steal Conklin maybe if we had to?

Reply #463594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Conklin or Hudson?

NZNBL side the Canterbury Rams have signed 2.11m PF/C Matt Rogers as next seasons import.
He's come close to landing an NBA Roster spot a couple of times (2010/11 with Charlotte & then the lockout shortened season that followed with the Indiana Pacers).
Might be worth a look depending how he goes over here.

Reply #463595 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

That last comment was me sorry.

Reply #463596 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

I'm impressed this season with DJs maturity on court and willingness to go tough and his rapid change in attitude. It is showing in his results and he seems to have a personal bond with the team and thats great for a young man to have. This 36ers team is also about TEAM and he is doing what he is told and needs to do and that deserves respect. I would like to see him get in 1 or 2 seasons more under Joey with this playing group as it has done him a world of good and perhaps rushing off to Euroleague etc may disadvantage him in the long run as he is on a steep development curve right now. It is working and I would love to see just how much better he can get. Goulding getting interest from the states and there is no reason why not if DJ continues to improve that he can't gain the same interest in the future. The states are obviously having a different view to our league as well, especially with the ability of players to have no transition or cultural issues coming into Australia and vice versa. EuroAisa is currently the least stable it has been for a while and that may not be as enticing for some. We have to remember that not all players are motivated by the dollar either, while it is good to earn a few quid some may have other aspirations and not want to get lost in the EuroAsia leagues. Others are working towards other study and job prospects post basketball and others have strong family ties. So we need not make assumptions based on our own experience and desires. He may choose to go to Europe and return for next season here, thats what I am hoping

I just hope that DJ continues to improve and I hope that we still get to enjoy that journey as I am really enjoying it this season. Good for him.... Onya Joey for bringing it out, we always knew he had it in him.

I wasn't a fan last year either but now converting fast...

Reply #463598 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

6er's fans have been lucky to have DJ....pretty much the most productive big in the league for the last 4 years!

Many talk about his lack of D but it has been as much about his D and the poor team D over the last few years!

In most ball clubs you'd have played him beside a defensive minded 4 and let him worry about getting his 24 & 10 every night!

In the current NBL he is irreplaceble among the Aussie bigs...you'd have to look for an import to try and get that sort of production which wouldn't be coming cheap!

Reply #463602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So replace DJ with an Import??

Reply #463604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Paul
Anderson France
Majok Germany
Maric Russia
Broekoff Turkey
Kickert Ukraine
Barlow Poland
Ingles Israel
All high standard and good $$$$

Reply #463605 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Would be sad to see him go, he's an offensive force for us

Reply #463609 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I think his poor showing for the Boomers was the kick in the ass he needed, and he has responded. He is playing much better... Still needs to work on the defence.. but overall.. a lot better. I would prefer he didn't go to Europe next season. But I am sure a Euro team would see his tools and be interested.

Reply #463611 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

@Paul
Anderson France
Majok Germany
Maric Russia
Broekoff Turkey
Kickert Ukraine
Barlow Poland
Ingles Israel
All high standard and good $$$$
paul was talking about Australians playing as imports. I think Ingles has a passport, Barlow too. I assume Maric has one. Kickert has a Dutch passport, I think, as does Broekoff, etc.

Reply #463612 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

DJ has been huge the last 2 years. I would be disappointed to see him go, but he has to make a living. He would be on top wage here, but nothing compared to what he could make over there.
Hope 36ers keep him but only time will tell.

Reply #463615 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"@Paul
Anderson France
Maric Russia
Broekoff Turkey
Kickert Ukraine
Ingles Israel
All high standard and good $$$$"

None of those guys are imports, they play on European passports. Majok is playing second division in Germany and Barlow was sacked from Poland quite some time ago.

Reply #463616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I really like him as a player. Can see him being a success. Maybe he'll develop a bit more of an all-round game in Europe and start getting into serious Boomer contention.

Reply #463617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just further to my above post - I don't think there's many guys with his offensive talent in the league. Can really feel his way through a defense, has good range, great size/length for his position.

Reply #463618 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

A European passport is worth EVERYTHING.
It's a whole new ballgame if you aren't an import competing against the US players.

Reply #463620 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I also like having DJ in the team with a defensive player in the frontcourt with him. Not likely to be trivial to replace.

That said, as I suggested earlier, there would be options available like pairing Petrie with Conklin or a guy like Hudson. Doubt either are especially expensive.

Haven't seen a lot of Conklin's play, but if he's half decent and a lot cheaper, you could do things like run him with Petrie, Schenscher off the bench, try to lure Forman home, save money for a non-budget import SF, etc.

Reply #463621 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sure is. Ask guys like Rillie and Bradtke. Not having one can often mean you don't unpack too much over there!

Reply #463623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about Luke Nevill?

Probably priced a fair bit cheaper and Australian.

Reply #463624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How would Momo Ntumba go as a cheap import? Seems to be a good player in the SEABL.

Reply #463625 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

hi Marcus Camby

yes , your tolling is spot on as always - if it was not for the fantastic development that was put in by Australia's best development coaching duo ( and the carefully planned PW effect they managed to get out of him in his brief Boomers stint)DJ would not have broken out of the whinny self-absorbed lazy and 1/2-assed attitude he displayed for all of those 3-years and finally extracted a digit this year under the woefully overrated new coach.

we will be absolutely devastated to see him go after paying him 4 years wages for one seasons' effort.

Lets hope we get a great finals effort out of him this year and get a flag before all of that development work goes down the drain.

Reply #463629 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If DJ leaves go hard after Gary Wilkinson.

Reply #463630 | Report this post

CABL NEDIA REP  
Years ago

He has come along way and is a solid part of the core 36ers shame to lose him regardless of opinion past and present

Reply #463631 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Momo undersized to play the 5 at NBL level and lacks a jumper so can't play the 4 spot.

Good guy but limited at NBL level at best.

Reply #463634 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I agree with Paul, if DJ goes, 6ers should be teeing up Wilkinson, if someone else doesn't grab him first.

Reply #463635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ok so it seems if he doesnt have a euro passport there is a fair chance he will play nbl next season as getting a import spot on a high paying league would be tough,

i hope the 36ers can retain him, give him a contract extension with the out clause to europe, if he gets a gig, wish him all the best, i also like having him on the team.

I actually like the idea of trying to get Forman back if DJ leaves, dont over pay him, but make him a decent offer, his 3pt shooting could really benefit our team, especially with Schenschers passing ability from the C spot, and us having a bunch of combo guards who can drive and dish.

I wouldnt mind seeing a line up of

Schenscher/BJ Anthony
Petrie/Forman
Creek/Import (Josh Pace, sort of similar to Frye, but can shoot FT's and would likely be affordable)
Gibson/Carter
Ervin/Cadee (if Cadee gets better offers elsewhere/ we cant afford him as we are deep in the guard rotation, then bring Daly into the 10)

Split the big minutes 20-30 mins each for Schenscher, Petrie, Forman, BJ just plays here and there as the situation needed, his toughness could help in some games, these 4 are all different and could compliement each other well in various combos. Yes we are small at back up C, but really who has 2 legit 7 footers?, id say thats a luxury we cant afford, so using bj in that spot.

Creek and import split the sf minutes 50/50, with both potentially logging a few minutes at sg or pf.

If we keep Cadee, id give him and Carter around 15 mins off the bench each and Gibson and Ervin around 25-30 mins, if Cadee goes, increase Carters minutes a little and give Daly around 5-10 mins depending on form.

Reply #463636 | Report this post

James C  
Years ago

Its always been said how intelligent Adelaide supports are and I usually believe this until I read posts on here by some people. DJ had become an excellent player but complainers will always complain no matter what. Would be a shame to lose him.

Reply #463645 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Always thought Cadee would head for home (Sydney) on the next contract. Sydney would really benefit.

Reply #463647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yea, i am sorta thinking the same for Cadee, he would be a great fit and likely get more minutes,

pity we couldnt trade him for Madgen!

Reply #463650 | Report this post

SEABL Watcher  
Years ago

Quote: "How would Momo Ntumba go as a cheap import? Seems to be a good player in the SEABL."

In the right club/role he'd be OK as a cheapie no way could he replace DJ. Momo is only a threat under the basket - no jumper as Tiger Watcher rightly says.

Reply #463655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Schenscher money is Killing us, big coin little output.
We could Keep DJ and afford two quality Imports.

Reply #463656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isnt Schenscher off contract at seasons end?

if so i dare say they would bring the price down abit or probably best to let him go, i am a fan and would say he has contributed very well recently but not worth the big bucks at the same time.

Reply #463662 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Agreed re: Big Luke's salary and its impact.

If DJ does go, could the 36ers make a play at Ogilvy

If Cadee went, I don't think it will be too unfavourable to the 36ers.

You could give his minutes to someone like Daly (which would save salary cap surely?)

Get Ogilvy's salary from DJ, the difference in salary between Cadee - Daly and the salary saved from getting a returning college player rather than an established backup.

Get rebounding and interior defence from Ogilvy, together with some scoring. Only other hole to fill is outside shooting (quite a serious problem)

Reply #463664 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Ogilvy can make megabucks in Europe as he has a passport, turned down offers this season to come home, so I imagine it would be tough for another Aussie city to get him, and tough even for the Kings to keep him.

Reply #463669 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Could Corey Maynard come home to Adelaide if Cadee goes?

Reply #463673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big Luke has a player option for next season.

Roster status for next season:

Johnson-1 year left (obviously would have a Euro out clause)
Gibson-1 year left + player option for another year
BJ Anthony-1 year left

Petrie-Player option for next season
Schenscher-Player option for next season

Ervin-Free agent
Creek-Free agent
Cadee-Free agent
Carter-Free agent
Teys-Free agent

Reply #463674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ervin has to Stay, he has been the big difference this year.

Reply #463676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ has a gig in Puerto Rico. Cadee is signing with Sydney in the offseason.

Reply #463678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought I heard DJ say in an interview that he was going to Europe in our off season but would be back with the 36ers next season as he has a year left on his contract? I could be wrong but that's what I recall...

Reply #463715 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

Rets row Ree-Ray, rets row!

Reply #463889 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Todd Blanchfield...…..

Reply #463895 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I think it would be sad to see Johnson go because he has improved a lot and adds a lot to the scoreboard, however his defense is not great which results in giving up points to the opposition. Another 2 years in Adelaide under Joey Wright would improve that immensely.

Reply #463915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What $ is Luke on?

Reply #463945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$145,000

Reply #463964 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Would do everything I could to keep DJ if I were the Sixers. Offensively I don't think there is an Aussie big man in the NBL who comes close.

If you want to win championships you have hang onto players like him. If he does leave for Europe, we need to grab someone like Ogilvy or Matt Knight. No-one else currently in the league is really going to cut it.

Reply #464110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cross our fingers he doesn't read Hoops, the haters on here will come into his decision, and the booing might not help either.

Reply #464152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you serious Big Luke is on $145k? :o

Reply #464447 | Report this post

RazzieMagoo  
Years ago

RE: Anonymous:
"Cross our fingers he doesn't read Hoops, the haters on here will come into his decision, and the booing might not help either."

Agreed! ATTN: DJ (if you read this) Adelaide loves you and we don't want to see you go!

...Well some might but meh... fuck em.

Reply #464451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lovin both Schensher and DJ at the moment. Want them both to stay. Big Red without his injuries at the moment and we are seeing the real Schensh. Key to our future if they continue on their current rate of improvment and workload.....

Reply #464464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea also loving the DJ /Schenscher combo. Great to have the twin towers in Adelaide!

To me Schenscher is also a great player and would start on many teams in the NBL, and an absolute luxury to have off the bench, he may not be the most physical guy, or dominate blocks and rebounds but he has a real impact/presence on both ends of the floor, just his size/length inside is great to have and he is also a smart player, to me its not a coincidence that every team in the NBL Schenscher has player on (and he usually has a fairly decent role) apart from last season, which we wont blame on him, has made the playoffs and done fairly well.

I personally hope DJ stays a 36ers, but Schensh is great to have to step into the starting 5 if DJ does decide to leave, and doesnt mean we have to try and find a import C, which is almost impossible to find a decent one who will come to the NBL, the better ones are usually PF/C like Wilkinson, and not 7 foot, so having Schensh could be very handy should DJ leave.

If DJ stays id basically try and bring back the same team as this year assuming the guys want to stick around, we do have a import spot in hand should anyone wish to leave, which is a good place to be in imo.

Reply #464480 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:10 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754