players
Years ago

2014 NBL free agents

Who will be a free agent in the NBL this off season?

Topic #34021 | Report this topic

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Cam Gliddon is but hopefully not for long: http://www.cairnspost.com.au/sport/local-sport/cairns-taipans-cameron-gliddon-may-scale-the-snakes-ladder/story-fnjpuwsz-1226863218904

Gliddon has indicated he is keen to stay, if Fearne can continue to develop his game and give him increased responsibility.

Both said an agreement could be reached by the end of this week.

"We are in talks now properly and I want to stay here, I just need to agree to some terms," Gliddon said.

"I want a leadership role and to play more point guard and just keep getting better. I don't want to step on the toes of the experienced guys, but I want to be a part of it."

Fearne indicated the newly crowned MVP would get all that. "He did a lot of that (point guard duties) anyway and he's improved so much and his maturity and leadership is great and there's no question he's a priority for us," Fearne said.

Reply #464195 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Damian Martin is a free agent who I think will stay with Perth but if Beveridge coaches Sydney then there's a chance Damo could follow

Reply #464222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder if Bevo take over the kings, grab Martin, Knight, bring in Lisch as his star import,

Martin
Lisch
Madgen
Garlepp
Knight

Would be a great starting point still with a import spot in hand.

I hope the 36ers look at Gliddon, really like his game.

Reply #464227 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Knight is in year 1 of 3 year deal at Perth.
Damo best Aussie point guard in comp who wouldn't want him.
Lisch a possibility, has great style of game for NBL and wife is from Sydney??

Reply #464229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow Kings could be good if Bevo and his crew follow.

Reply #464241 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

From my tracker on the "other place" (might not be 100% accurate with latest movements/extensions? Most signing articles are unclear on actual details):

rAdelaide
Peach has an option year
Cadee
Creek
Big Red
Ervin*
Carter
Teys

Cairns
Loughton
Trigger?
Wilson*
Bruce
McCamey*
Gliddon (I thought was on another year but I guess an option?)
Burston?

Melbourne
Balls
Walker?
Greer
Nate?
Odigie
MacMillan
Morrison*
Farrakhan*
Wortho?

New Zealand
CJ
DC
KJ*
Wilko*

Perth
Damo
Wagstaff?
Ennis*
Beal*
Burdon
Jervis

Sydney
Hill
Ellis (apparently can take up an option)
Harvey
Ogilvy
Allen
Gleeson
Young*
Sanders*

Townsville
PC
Djeric?
Conklin*
Pace*
Vandy

Wollongong
Gruber
Davidson
Martin (option to take up, not going anywhere)
Forman (option to take up, not going anywhere)
Coenraad
Rotnei*

Reply #464243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Schenscher has a player option for next season along with Petrie.

DJ, Gibson & BJ are the only three players at this stage under contract with the 36ers next season.

Reply #464259 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

I dont know a whole lot about on the business side of the NBL but I would think you will see alot of one year deals next season. And then some interesting movements when the expansion happens. But there may be some room to move next season regarding scrapping the player points etc?

Reply #464269 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Whether they win or not we can expect some change at Perth next season so far we have
Redhage
Hire
Knight
Muo (signed 3 year deal)

IMO Jervis will stay
Martin likely to stay
Wagstaff 50/50
Burdon probably won't stay
Ennis probably go overseas
Beal hopefully stays. If Martin goes then wildcats could look for import point guard.

Reply #464272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could Dolla Beal be a full time point guard?

Reply #464275 | Report this post

Moo moo  
Years ago

Trigger is on contract for next year..

Reply #464294 | Report this post

Moo moo  
Years ago

Also Bruce is playing for marlins so would probably come back to taipans..

Reply #464295 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Mirko Djeric is under contract for next year in Townsville.

Reply #464308 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

I hope the Gong can retain their core group again, (which seems likely).

Reply #464313 | Report this post

Happy Gilmore  
Years ago

The breakers persistence with Pledger pains me
Yes he is tall, protects the rim. But he doesn't help other players get points. And his footwork is Just frustrating. Wilkinson is a gem , I hope he doesn't get picked up by another NBL club and kicks us in the balls like Redhage has.

Reply #464315 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Pledger has been great so far in his career and can actually defend Centres unlike Wilkinson.
Pledger will also continue to get better while Wilkinson prob won't change his game much.

Reply #464316 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Cedric Jackson has said he's not really interested in coming back and wants to continue in Europe.
Kirk Penney is expected to finish his degree in the States once the World Cup is over in Spain. After that is finished a return to NZ is expected but unfortunately it's not going to be next season.
Tom Abercrombie is expected to test the waters in Europe after the World Cup.

Reply #464317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Happy Gilmore! Pledger was having an excellent season before all his injuries struck! In the 10 games he was actually healthy he put up the same numbers ogilvy did for the season! (Obviously maintaining it would be the challenge) ..and while I agree he has had trouble with footwork and travelling in the past it looked much improved in half season he played and probably had less than 5 travels (i watch EVERY breakers game) he might not have wilkinsons 3 point shooting and overall scoring ability but he plays both ends and is one of the best bigs in the league when healthy

Reply #464319 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

didnt creek sign a 1+1 last year

Reply #464322 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"The breakers persistence with Pledger pains me"

So what's your solution?

Just offload a 7"1 Center who was putting up solid numbers before being injured.

He could average 15 and 10 no sweat if the offence was fine-tuned to be more inside-orientated. In fact, he could easily put up 18 & 10 over a season if he got the ball.

But Breakers basketball has always been perimeter orientated - part of that stems from the quality of perimeter players at the club over Pledger's career. It also doesn't help when you have someone like Vukona who is the go to guy in the post because of his quickness advantage and ability to pass out of the post.

Reply #464323 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Is creek of contract? He would surely be top priority to re-sign! Not that happy he is playing in Melbourne now as i'm sure the Tigers would love to get him along with pretty much every other club in the league

Reply #464326 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Pledger was having a very solid season until his big fall against Adelaide. It would have been better if he were being used ala last season, as a moving target at the rim, not someone to throw the ball to in the low post.

The loss of Jackson and Boucher, both exceptional passers, definitely hurt in that regard.

In today's basketball there are very few players who will consistently score on a straight up post feed, as the defence knows how to cover it. It needs to be on things like a dive to the hoop or a seal on ball reversal.

Reply #464331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doesnt Creek want a million a year?

Reply #464332 | Report this post

Moneyballer  
Years ago

A million is the salary cap, anon.

Reply #464333 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think anytime you can lock in a half-decent, no-fuss centre who can play any sort of D, you do it. Examples: Knight, Pledger, Crosswhite, Davidson, even Jervis. In the NBA, the Thunder either start the oft-criticised Perkins or, more recently, a NZ rookie.

Gives you the spine to build around and means you can put in a scoring PF and so on. I think this is why Tragardh worked well with Davidson but less so with Loughton, or why Cairns have dropped off a bit without Crosswhite.

Adelaide in the leanest years had paired Johnson with Ballinger, neither known for their D (though Ballinger gets his share of blocks).

Reply #464337 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'm not sure Matt Knight - who's been All-NBL First Team, All-NBL Second Team and runner-up MVP - belongs as a "half-decent, no-fuss centre" (and Pledger and Crosswhite are exceptional defenders) but I think your point is a good one.

Get a big guy who rebounds and defends first and your team has a good chance of keeping other teams to losing scores. That's a very good starting point.

Reply #464343 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I obviously meant "half-decent and better"! Focus is on ability to play D.

Reply #464369 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Of course, sorry for nit-picking, and despite how effective he is Knight is a no-fuss kind of player.

Reply #464370 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I think anon is taking the piss in regards to Creek wanting a million a year but he makes a valid point Creek will want more money so doubtful imo he will be a sixer next year

Reply #464371 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Creek would rather more opportunity (to prove himself and go for a Boomers gig) than money. The million dollars is just what it would take to get him digging holes or playing AFL.

Reply #464384 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Without Pledger pretty much every Centre in the league had their way with Wilkinson and Abercrombie was the only rim presence.

Without Pledger clogging the paint and changing shots NZ were too easy inside especially once Vukona and Wilkinson had committed fouls.

Reply #464439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is that status of Vickerman?

Reply #464442 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

What sort of deal is Pledger currently on? I assume that the Breakers would have signed him for max 3yrs deal out of his rookie contract, but that was at least two seasons ago?

Reply #464462 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Vickerman is quite likely on a 3 year deal. He'll stay on until Paul Henare is ready to take over the reigns. Paulie's great in time outs ;)

Reply #464465 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I believe you are correct re: Pledger being on his last year of contract,Wookie.

Reply #464466 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:56 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754